Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I would 100% replace our best player of a generation, with the third most expensive player in history. 

At this point most Villa fans, including myself, want him. For me it's because he's playing well for us and growing in the team, not because of a price previously paid. 

The reality is with FFP every financial decision has to be weighed against how it will restrict us and we should try to avoid ballooning our wage budget if possible as it will just restrict what we can spend on transfers.

Me not thinking we will or should pay over the odds because you think Man City paid over the odds for Jack Grealish has nothing to do with wanting to sign him. I really hope we do.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can understand that statement..

....just watch now, how all the spoilers come out of the woodwork to try and foil us signing him in the summer.....if its not other clubs,its the media finding fault with contracts and Barcelona watching his stock rise, before their greedy eye balls.

We took a chance on Phil and it looks like both parties are happy, so why spoil a good relationship.

What they all forget is, Phil and Stevie have a special relationship, he might not be the same elsewhere........just like "trigger" only "Roy Rogers" could ride him.

A big part of the reason I couldn't see him holding us to ransom and demanding a wage only the Manchester clubs and Chelsea currently pay a few players each, or take the risk of going elsewhere to squeeze out an extra few mill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Controversial, he isn’t worth 30 mil a year if we are missing out on Europe..

That is the type of money Top 4 clubs that sells merchandise worldwide pay. That is not our level.

Controversial is not the word. Reasonable fits better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The more I read, the more I think he won’t be ours next season. His salary is just going to be sky high. 

Maybe he wants to be ours and this is how we're keeping the ideas his agent has in check. If we flush out what it is people would be prepared to pay him (and I can't see it being £480k a week) then we can begin negotiation from a more sensible starting position. These stories might well work as a way to say we want you, but forget your current wage - you'll need to take a cut.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed was the players on the bench and staff reaction to Coutinho's play. They were all standing up trying to watch him and shaking their heads to each other with a "wow, this guy is amazing" bunch of exchanges when he scored.

I dont know how valuable if at all the respect of fellow players and staff is in  football but he certainly has it.

I will say he maybe expensive but if we want to be in the Champions League one day then we are going to have to hire more Champions League level players. He self evidently is. I am still amazed he is playing for Aston Villa, just drinking it in.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

What might be a factor as well is the effect him not signing would have on other players - they're loving playing alongside him and if we let him go, it might cause one or two to think about their futures - you could see Ollie thinking that Arsenal would have kept him for example. I'm pretty relaxed about it at the moment - I trust the people we have running the club to make the right decisions.

Six year deal - four years with Villa at £200k a week then two years in Vegas at £100k a week - that oughta do it.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The more I read, the more I think he won’t be ours next season. His salary is just going to be sky high. 

Then just don’t read anymore. It works a treat for me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes there will be a lot more interest in him now hes proved hes still the player he was at liverpool. 

If we want to join the big boys then we need to pay big boy wages. 

You have to factor in the commercial benefit of him as well. How much extra revenue would he bring in? That can be offset against the wages. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What might be a factor as well is the effect him not signing would have on other players - they're loving playing alongside him and if we let him go, it might cause one or two to think about their futures - you could see Ollie thinking that Arsenal would have kept him for example. I'm pretty relaxed about it at the moment - I trust the people we have running the club to make the right decisions.

Six year deal - four years with Villa at £200k a week then two years in Vegas at £100k a week - that oughta do it.

I know it's a hypothetical but if they did it that way they could pay him even more in the States. No cap on the money an owner can inject there. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Luiz will be the big deal for me, they seem to be good friends on and off the pitch. If we offer Luiz a deal and he signs it then I would be more convinced Coutinho will stay

• Like 1

We will make an offer that we can afford, and we will push the boat out to accommodate him, but if he decides he wants to move elsewhere then what can you do.

We have a trump card of the Gerrard connection so I think that would give us the edge over someone like Spurs, who we would normally lose out to, but if a PSG type comes in offering Champions League and silly wages we’ll probably have to make our peace with it.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We will make an offer that we can afford, and we will push the boat out to accommodate him, but if he decides he wants to move elsewhere then what can you do.

We have a trump card of the Gerrard connection so I think that would give us the edge over someone like Spurs, who we would normally lose out to, but if a PSG type comes in offering Champions League and silly wages we’ll probably have to make our peace with it.

I agree but losing our star player twice in 12 months would suck no matter how philosophical we are about it. 

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we want to join the big boys then we need to pay big boy wages. 

You have to factor in the commercial benefit of him as well. How much extra revenue would he bring in? That can be offset against the wages. 

Way less than people seem to think. Hopefully he justifies it on footballing reasons alone.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

His agent did a good interview on TalkSport when we signed him.  He also had a lot to say on other agents - mainly slagging off those who encouraged their clients to run down their contracts so that they (the agent) could then get a huge pay day afterwards.  Whilst I wouldn't trust most football agents as far as I could kick them - he was adamant that Coutinho's main priority was playing regularly in a team that appreciated him.  I think that if we do reasonably well over the rest of the season and finished around mid-table then we will be in pole position to sign him.  You could see from the standing ovation that he got when he came off at the weekend that he was loving being loved.  He's made his money, secured his future and I genuinely believe that playing time is front and centre of his "demands" for his next contract.  Yes he will want to be able to compete against the big teams - but he's had his toes burned by following the big contract.  The only team I can see him possibly being tempted by would be Liverpool but I think that Gerrard is a bigger draw for him.  He'll still be on a pretty big contract with us but I don't expect it to be anywhere near the levels that are being suggested by some.  He deserves to be our top earner but I don't think he'll be on wages that will cause problems with other players.

• Like 3

Â