Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I assume he isn't available for Monday needing a work permit?

Will be fantastic ovation when his name is read out in the home game v Man. Unitred. Get the feeling it will be like when Bent scored the winner v Man. City.

I read he'd just tested positive for COVID so needs to finish his isolation so it won't be until next weekend.

Never really paid that much attention to Coutinho as don't tend to watch much other than us but watched his highlight reel last night - largely Liverpool for obvious reasons. His dribbling/close control is insane - he does things Jack wouldn't try and his long range shooting is as good as anybody I've seen. If he can recapture half of that he will be a great signing (and for less, allegedly, than the cost of Ross Barkley.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I was about to post something fairly similar...

It says a lot about him when he could easily have stayed at Barcelona and earn whatever ridiculous wage they pay him to be on the fringes of the team. Not only has he said "no, I want to play" (and we could all name plenty of players who would have happily sat on the wages and not play), he appears to have given up a significant chunk of his wages in order to play for a club which, let's be realistic, most players of his stature would see as beneath them. Would you give up 40% of your wages to go and work at a smaller company because your current one cant really afford your wage? Me neither.

But more than that, what sort of madman sits in a recruitment meeting at a team in 13th place with no notable recent history to speak of, and genuinely suggets "what about Coutinho?" without being worried he'd be laughed at? Im assuming its Gerrard who's suggested and driven it, in which case you have to admire the balls of the man

I alluded to this yesterday, the board will have asked something along the lines of where are we going wrong? What do we need to do to get to the next level etc, answer, a whole different level of player, wouldn't surprise me if we are linked to another wtf name in the coming days.

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm actually suprised more players don't do this in all honesty. 

….

Surely at some stage money takes a back seat.  It's not as if they go from gigantic sums of money to nothing is it? 

Agree. I also think the World Cup is going to motivate a lot of players to move somewhere this window to get game time and make the team. There’s just enough time to change a WC coaches mind and make it. I think it’s a great time to bring him in.

43 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

more than that, what sort of madman sits in a recruitment meeting at a team in 13th place with no notable recent history to speak of, and genuinely suggets "what about Coutinho?" without being worried he'd be laughed at? Im assuming its Gerrard who's suggested and driven it, in which case you have to admire the balls of the man

That’s a really good point! 

52 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Quite funny to see the two clubs trying to get their side of the story out.

Purslow through BBC, Percy and Collomosse. ~£125k a week, whatever. 

Barca through Romano, Xavi, whoever. They're paying 65% which would probably be ~£225k a week.

If the player wanted to come, and it certainly looks like it does, we've done badly if we haven't got a favourable deal.

We’ve got the deal that we’ve got and the market will have largely dictated the price.

In any case I’m not sure it matters much to me, or more importantly the long term aspirations of the club, whether it cost us £5m or £7.5m. It is a pittance compared to the signal of intent it sends across world football. 

We’ve arrived.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In any case I’m not sure it matters much to me, or more importantly the long term aspirations of the club, whether it cost us £5m or £7.5m. 

I dunno, it matters to me. Not in the larger sense, but because I enjoy discussing the numbers and stats around football, because it’s nice to know whether we got a bargain or not, and also useful to know when we’re discussing FFP limits at some point.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We’ve got the deal that we’ve got and the market will have largely dictated the price.

In any case I’m not sure it matters much to me, or more importantly the long term aspirations of the club, whether it cost us £5m or £7.5m. It is a pittance compared to the signal of intent it sends across world football. 

We’ve arrived.

Yeah - I mean in retrospect do we care if Jonathan Kodjia was on 30k or 65k in the championship? As always, it’s not our money and these guys seem far more competent to make good decisions than previous leadership so it’s not really a worry.

1 minute ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

I just saw it here too:

So spurs were the other club if this is true...perhaps we're confident that he'll come to us if we want him?  Or perhaps reality will kick in and he'll go to spurs if they're in Europe and we're not next season 🙄

3 minutes ago, Adman said:

So spurs were the other club if this is true...perhaps we're confident that he'll come to us if we want him?  Or perhaps reality will kick in and he'll go to spurs if they're in Europe and we're not next season 🙄

i cant see Levy sanctioning the wages to get him anyways tbh.....

Levy isnt known to like big outlays!

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

So basically spurs offered the same deal as us and phillippe chose us, I can deal with that 😁

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

But more than that, what sort of madman sits in a recruitment meeting at a team in 13th place with no notable recent history to speak of, and genuinely suggets "what about Coutinho?" without being worried he'd be laughed at? Im assuming its Gerrard who's suggested and driven it, in which case you have to admire the balls of the man

Â