Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

both are south american footballers in attacking positions?

What other similarities are there?

Both previously seen as world class players, who moved to Spanish Super Clubs only to not perform. To be pushed to Bayern on loan where it also didn't quite work out well enough. Returning to their Spanish Super Club and given another chance before finally needing to be moved on to the Premier League. But no longer good enough for the Top 4 or 6 teams to take a stab at the expense of it they move to a team with big investment and big ambitions - but crucially - where they have a great relationship with the new manager at the helm. It's seen as a big coup signing and as a big statement of intent - they're a bit older and a couple of years removed from their best form...but they're still Under 30 so maybe, just maybe they can find that old form again.

Edit: I was very clear I'm excited about the Coutinho signing sonnow sure why your response was so obtuse. The similarities are clear as to why it gets brought up. I'm excited. It's a great signing. There are still similarities.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

both are south american footballers in attacking positions?

What other similarities are there?

Career stage. Both burned brightly in their early 20s and then faded at massive Spanish clubs, and have struggled to deliver on that promise.

But James is more of a playboy who seems to have wasted his talent, whereas Coutinho seems to have just been a bit unlucky with his move to Barca. Coutinho definitely a better signing than James.

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Hopefully not Robert Pires Mk 2 ;)

Well as he's 7(seven) years younger than Pires was when he signed for us I would think that's highly unlikely.

• Haha 1

James got 6 goals and 4 assists in 21 games at Everton. If Coutinho posts similar stats between noww and the end of the season, I don't think any would be too disappointed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Risso said:

James got 6 goals and 4 assists in 21 games at Everton. If Coutinho posts similar stats between noww and the end of the season, I don't think any would be too disappointed.

Bale another good example for Spurs, 11 in 20.

Yeah he was unreal for 6 months. Was a very good signing. Then just vanished. shame really, seems to have really ruined it all for himself. Got a nice sum of money out of that incredible World Cup but I wonder if he wishes he moved to a club like Madrid later in his career and had a longer career as a result 

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

If people can't get excited about a signing like this, you'd have to question why they follow football in the first place. Of course it may all go tits up, but for now we've signed a player from Barcelona who's still in his 20s, and who has won numerous trophies with some of the biggest teams in Europe. As I said earlier, two years ago to the day we were signing washed up, unpleasant, violent, nightclub-loving complete arsehole Danny Drinkwater, who couldn't even get a game for Burnley.

Enjoy these moments for what they are, they don't happen very often.

From a footballing perspective it's an incredibly exciting signing, from a finances perspective it worries me a bit. So whilst I can successfully masterbate to his youtube videos after I come I feel guilty. ;)

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Both previously seen as world class players, who moved to Spanish Super Clubs only to not perform. To be pushed to Bayern on loan where it also didn't quite work out well enough. Returning to their Spanish Super Club and given another chance before finally needing to be moved on to the Premier League. But no longer good enough for the Top 4 or 6 teams to take a stab at the expense of it they move to a team with big investment and big ambitions - but crucially - where they have a great relationship with the new manager at the helm. It's seen as a big coup signing and as a big statement of intent - they're a bit older and a couple of years removed from their best form...but they're still Under 30 so maybe, just maybe they can find that old form again.

Edit: I was very clear I'm excited about the Coutinho signing sonnow sure why your response was so obtuse. The similarities are clear as to why it gets brought up. I'm excited. It's a great signing. There are still similarities.

The fact coutinho played his best football while in the prem is the big difference here for me. It’s widely recognised that the pace and physicality of the PL is higher than other leagues- coutinho is a proven performer in that environment; James wasn’t 

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

If people can't get excited about a signing like this, you'd have to question why they follow football in the first place. Of course it may all go tits up, but for now we've signed a player from Barcelona who's still in his 20s, and who has won numerous trophies with some of the biggest teams in Europe. As I said earlier, two years ago to the day we were signing washed up, unpleasant, violent, nightclub-loving complete arsehole Danny Drinkwater, who couldn't even get a game for Burnley.

Enjoy these moments for what they are, they don't happen very often.

Exactly this, lets dream of what this might be the start of - This is a huge statement by the club & the money/wages etc can be worried about by those that need to

Potentially the biggest signing the club has ever made

• Like 2

Firstly, I am delighted with this signing. Wanted him before Liverpool and then his last 2 seasons there he was incredible. Top player who hopefully rediscovers that form.

2 concerns for me. If he plays really well he might not be here next season. Enjoy him while we have him I suppose.

2nd concerns is the motivation/fitness but has never struck me as anything than a model pro and got the gym treatment while at bayern. James comparisons are expected but he’s done it in England before and is faster than him which would have made James a success in my option. 

Just now, fightoffyour said:

29 is literally a prime age.

Depending on how professional you've been with your training and how lucky you've been with injuries.

No issue with professionalism with Coutinho, injuries bit of a worry thou.

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

His offensive stats was rather good at Everton, but I think he was a bit like Barkley in that he was a bit lazy and didn't really contribute enough defensively.

That said, both James and Barkley could find another PL club if they were willing to lower their wages/wage demands.

Â