VillaTalk Deadpool 2022

Xela

2 hours ago, will87 said:

Taylor Hawkins, 50, drummer for Foo Fighters.

Shocker. 

Did a brilliant job adding lyrics to Dennis Wilson's Holy Man track back in 2008.

I've never been a big Foo Fighters fan but they have a couple of songs from the early/mid 00's that just bring back that pure nostalgic feeling of Red Balloon and Subculture in the Birmingham Academy, they've got a fair few decent songs.

Shame though, he was pretty well respected as a drummer wasn't he,.

Taylor was my favourite member of the Foos. I mean, I play drums so I'm some ways not a surprise, but he was always so enthusiastic about his music and his drumming and so respectful of all his peers. He was such a knowledge bank of drumming and its history, he made so many documentaries about other drummers and their influence and was always a fascinating listen.

Like everyone else it seems I like the Foos but don't really love them - was tempted by the Villa Park gig but not enough to actually get tickets, and if I had have gone it probably would have been mostly to see Taylor play anyway.

A big loss to music indeed.

• Like 1

Absolute shocker.  Terrible news, RIP Taylor.   Had tickets for the VP gig cuz the Foo Fighters are one of our favourite bands.  Can't see them replacing him and tbh not sure they'd want to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Absolute shocker.  Terrible news, RIP Taylor.   Had tickets for the VP gig cuz the Foo Fighters are one of our favourite bands.  Can't see them replacing him and tbh not sure they'd want to. 

I know a bird who has got tickets for the Manchester gig, do you reckon they'll cancel them? Dave Grohl kind of comes across as the kind of "show much go on" type of dude.

For about three of my most formative years, Foo Fighters were my absolute favourite band. Admittedly, it was very much the Dave Grohl show for me, but Hawkins was a big part of my life too. 

While I don’t really listen to them anymore, this is still kind of heartbreaking news. 

30 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I know a bird who has got tickets for the Manchester gig, do you reckon they'll cancel them? Dave Grohl kind of comes across as the kind of "show much go on" type of dude.

I see then being postponed at the very least.  Taylor and Dave seemed to have a very close relationship,  and he'd been with the band 20 years.  I hope they continue but who knows. 

Sad. Again, like others they were a band I liked but never loved from the late nineties to about the mid 2000’s. I drifted away and lost interest in their stuff I guess after The Pretender era.

A huge drummer. Smashes the shit out of his kit. Cool dude. Man, the more of the people you admire that pass it really reminds you that this is it ain’t it, one chance and all that….

Real shame, him like the rest of the band seem like nice guys which is sadly a rare thing.

As for Foo Fighters they were never my thing. Feels a bit like a rock version of Coldplay in that I find them a bit boring. One of the guys I shared an apartment with at Uni loved them thou so listened a lot to their early stuff.

Again, really sad stuff.

The Foos’ early stuff was, if not extremely interesting, then at least brilliantly fun straight up rock music combined with an ability to make catchy hit tunes with the finesse of the most polished of pop artists, Everlong being the obvious, but perfect example of their ability to make some almost irresistable songs at their peak. That, and their almost parodically amiable personalities - have you ever heard a bad word about any of them? - gives them a special place in my heart. Musically, we grew apart a long time ago, but the Foo Fighters, f*** man, are absolute legends. 

• Like 1

I don't mind them, stopped buying their albums about 5/6 years back but still give their stuff at least one run through and they tend to have a listenable poppy rock song on each album 

Its right that all of them seem like genuinely good likeable fun guys with wide appreciative taste in music so you never really see a bad word said about them, I'd listen to some interviews from them still even if I wasn't listening to the music

I won't harsh people's buzz out the foo fighters but there are bad words, their links to AIDS denialists and support of anti vax organisations. That said maybe that backing was down to misinformation or a lack of education on their part.