Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I don't see it. If he goes and wins the next two or three games, perhaps he brings them back. Fail to beat Everton, let alone lose, and I think things will escalate. 

I just hope if/when he does go, the owners and Purslow really go for a special manager. I'm fed up of all these mediocre managers managing this once great club. We just never get it right. Probably the last manager we appointed with a big reputation at his peak was O'Neill. Although that turned out to be a bit disappointing given the way he left, his poor performance in the transfer window, and the one dimensional style of play (and he  was a big factor why things went south after laving due to his short term thinking), he did at least get us into the top 6 three times in a row. He at least knew how to get players playing above their station which is in complete contrast to Gerrard. 

It's only one game into the new season but this team has to be up for every single game if we want to achieve our objectives this season and to not be ready for the opening day against a newly promoted club is unacceptable. There were just no excuses for yesterday's sh*tshow and we should have been beating Bournemouth comfortably. And these types of displays have been going on since March. 

I’m sure everyone is trying to appoint a really special manager. The fact it’s taken Man U about 2 years and Spurs ages plus two bites at the cherry is plenty of evidence that it ain’t that easy for a club of any size or profile. 

I’d agree that MON did bring a buz around the place. But his faults and failings eventually caught up with him and then bigger issues of club ownership became the problem. 

I’m not advocating sticking with SG come what may and I believe the clock is ticking. As in most things in life though, things are rarely as simple so we’d like them to be. I also don’t doubt the ruthlessness of NSWE and by extension their CEO either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think he will get to the World Cup break and see where we are - certainly if in the bottom 6 in November it’s hard to see how he can continue . 

Can’t wait till that long, it’ll be another season wasted if we keep him that long if yesterdays performances is to go by 

• Like 2

Just now, picicata said:

It's like Man Utd under Solskjaer

That is quite an apt comparison. Only wish that we'd chosen one of our legends rather than someone else's for the hit it and hope! 

5 minutes ago, picicata said:

It would. Especially if it looks like we know how they were won, with a well executed game plan. At the moment we rely on a player producing a moment rather than a team knowing what it's doing.

It's like Man Utd under Solskjaer

This is getting to be a habit. Perhaps I need another cuppa. 

P.S.

I’ve just realised my response was because I thought you were another poster. Duh! I still agree with what you said though. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Just now, Dale said:

That is quite an apt comparison. Only wish that we'd chosen one of our legends rather than someone else's for the hit it and hope! 

Would Dwight Yorke have done any worse 😛

I do wonder if the issues could be to some degree solved without anybody being seen to lose face by letting Neil Critchley take over some of the tactics and selection responsibilities whilst keeping Gerrard on as "manager" for his profile.

Of course it would need Gerrard to let go of a fair amount of his say over the team, which I suspect is unlikely. And we don't know much about Critchley other than he seemed to be doing well in his last club. But it's an option of some sort. Would have been useful to have done something like this before pre-season though.

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t agree with you often, but that would certainly fix it for most fans. Especially the win part. 

I have a feeling it would only bring him a short reprieve. 

I've seen this pattern many times before. He's done, and as soon as things turn against us again, which they do for all teams, the fans will be on him in an instant. 

He's done. The cycle continues, because there aren't any managers realistically grabbable that can live up to expectations. 

We'll just keep doing what we've been doing for decades.

Harsh, but that's our reality we have to deal with. 

We'll never be great again.

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I do wonder if the issues could be to some degree solved without anybody being seen to lose face by letting Neil Critchley take over some of the tactics and selection responsibilities whilst keeping Gerrard on as "manager" for his profile.

Of course it would need Gerrard to let go of a fair amount of his say over the team, which I suspect is unlikely. And we don't know much about Critchley other than he seemed to be doing well in his last club. But it's an option of some sort. Would have been useful to have done something like this before pre-season though.

Problem is Gerrard management or lack of it is worse than his coaching

His man management is 30 years out of date from the Houllier approach to throwing people under the bus

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daft said:

I've seen this pattern many times before. He's done, and as soon as things turn against us again, which they do for all teams, the fans will be on him in an instant. 

Hit the ground running against Everton and put in a decent performance, and he buys himself some time - The mood online has certainly changed since yesterday's game, but I think the point of no return if when the crowd turns during a game. We haven't got to that point, yet.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Hit the ground running against Everton and put in a decent performance, and he buys himself some time - The mood online has certainly changed since yesterday's game, but I think the point of no return if when the crowd turns during a game. We haven't got to that point, yet.

One loss at home and he'll be booed 

I get the feeling this could turn rapidly. If we are on 3/4 points after 6 games. Easy to see Gerrard having lost dressing room and that forces a decision on the club. Home to Southampton game to save his job.

I feel the club will persevere with him regardless. Hopefully we see a different performance next weekend at VP as preseason appeared to be positive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daft said:

He's done. The cycle continues, because there aren't any managers realistically grabbable that can live up to expectations. 

We will be great next week, if we win, it's that simple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

We will be great next week, if we win, it's that simple.

If we win I style it'll be good for a week or so. 

But he's done in the eyes of the fanbase unless we get silverware.

The wolves are prowling, and soon it'll be heard at Villa Park.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I get the feeling this could turn rapidly. If we are on 3/4 points after 6 games. Easy to see Gerrard having lost dressing room and that forces a decision on the club. Home to Southampton game to save his job.

I feel the club will persevere with him regardless. Hopefully we see a different performance next weekend at VP as preseason appeared to be positive. 

Pre season wasn't positive though, a lot called out that we had no structure or style of play or rhythm

It sadly showed yesterday

• Like 4

The aerials won stat from yesterday is 16-16 on every site I've seen. 50/50.

Not that anyone really believes that it was as simple as they are taller so they won.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I just hope if/when he does go, the owners and Purslow really go for a special manager. I'm fed up of all these mediocre managers managing this once great club. We just never get it right. Probably the last manager we appointed with a big reputation at his peak was O'Neill.

Dean Smith was the right man at the right time and he was instrumental in giving the fans something to cheer about after a really dark period in our history. Looking back,I would not have swapped Dean for anyone, as it was such a unique experience. 

I agree the Gerrard appointment was a big risk, but we didn't necessarily need a special manager. Rodgers, Moyes or Howe would have been good enough to get us into the European places. Then from there we could have gone for an elite manager to push us towards top 4. 

I can see that Gerrard isn't displaying the skills I would expect of a decent manager at the moment - certainly not one that is going to get us in the top 8. We can try and stick it out in the hope that he develops, but how long will that be?Long enough to lose all our best players? Relegation? I think it would be reckless to leave it a while before changing managers. It needs reviewing by the international break, to evaluate whether the board feel that he has shown enough over the best part of a year to warrant being kept on. My opinion is that he hasn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

The aerials won stat from yesterday is 16-16 on every site I've seen. 50/50.

Not that anyone really believes that is was as simple as they are taller so they won.

They scored from two SERIOUS defensive lapses on our part, and due to the fact we had absolutely no movement in their half and couldn't stretch their compact defense at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daft said:

But these aren't our (the fans) expectations!

Its the CEO, the players and the manager they keep spouting the continual improvement, Europe, trophy, content. 

I'd just like to be able to expect to enjoy an afternoon at Villa Park sometime soon! Anything else is a distant dream.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was one of the most tenaciously gifted players of his generation, he has drive, determination and perseverance, I have no doubt.......but its clear, its not finding its way in to our play......thats the confusing thing that most like me who support him ( for now) are experiencing.

If we’re going to assume that Steven Gerrard the player reflects Steven Gerrard the manager, then surely we should focus on the other aspects of Steven Gerrard as a player which are more relevant to modern day team management, such as tactical understanding. He was an utter disaster at this as a player. Benitez is quoted as saying as much, and it’s really showing. 

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â