Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Don_Simon said:

But these aren't our (the fans) expectations!

Its the CEO, the players and the manager they keep spouting the continual improvement, Europe, trophy, content. 

I'd just like to be able to expect to enjoy an afternoon at Villa Park sometime soon! Anything else is a distant dream.

It's their job to sell us the product Aston Villa. They will always talk of the 'next step' be it avoid relegation, get promoted, get to mid table etc. 

We should be calling them out on their bullshit. 

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

If we’re going to assume that Steven Gerrard the player reflects Steven Gerrard the manager, then surely we should focus on the other aspects of Steven Gerrard as a player which are more relevant to modern day team management, such as tactical understanding. He was an utter disaster at this as a player. Benitez is quoted as saying as much. 

This goes under the radar. 2005 Champions League Final he was the reason they were 3 down as he left centre midfield exposed until Rafa moved him out of midfield at half time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daft said:

If we win I style it'll be good for a week or so. 

But he's done in the eyes of the fanbase unless we get silverware.

The wolves are prowling, and soon it'll be heard at Villa Park.

It will be great until we lose again. I don't think anyone expects silverware this season but it would be nice to be  consistent.

If Gerrard goes then it won't be clear cut in the press, hes a big profile and alot of shit will come villa's way with players , fans and owners getting the blame before he does, his mates with the media.

The next manager would have to have some big balls. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

This goes under the radar. 2005 Champions League Final he was the reason they were 3 down as he left centre midfield exposed until Rafa moved him out of midfield at half time

He only figured it out late in his career after he couldn’t run anymore. 

Just now, Zatman said:

That is very worrying actually. I did not know this. 

Are there any tactically clever English managers?

They seem quite useless in this regard the lot of them. All talk and focus on simplistic and one-dimensional aspects.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

It will be great until we lose again. I don't think anyone expects silverware this season but it would be nice to be  consistent.

If Gerrard goes then it won't be clear cut in the press, hes a big profile and alot of shit will come villa's way with players , fans and owners getting the blame before he does, his mates with the media.

The next manager would have to have some big balls. 

He'll be gone before the WC. I'm certain.

He's irretrievably lost the fans.

• Sad 1

Said at the time his appointment was a risk , one trophy won out of nine domestically in Scotland but because it stopped Celtic doing ten in a row he was deemed great by Rangers supporters but little St.Johnstone won both domestic cups in that year, Gerrard is going to be another one added to the list of great iconic player but can't cut it as a manager.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, daft said:

I don’t think that’s true, yet. If his methods start to bear fruit soon then it will be ok, it is just one game. Big issues to fix though and he doesn’t have long.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I don’t think that’s true, yet. If his methods start to bear fruit soon then it will be ok, it is just one game. Big issues to fix though and he doesn’t have long.

I just don't see it. Sure, a run of wins will get him time, but unless we win those convincingly, a dip in form and he'll be in the crosshairs again, very fast.

• Like 1

That's the thing with Gerrard. As a player, and he was an exceptionally good one, his thing was his ridiculous engine, great ability at striking the ball, very good long pass ability, and a bit of dirty hard man streak. There's nothing to suggest he was that bothered by the tactical side of things, and I doubt he has changed that as a manager.

If performances don’t pick up I suspect he will not have an ally in Johan Lange. Gerrard has fallen out with £60m worth of signings that he sanctioned. If it comes to deciding whether to stick with SG or bring someone else in who can bring Mings/Sanson/Traore back into the fold and protect their value I know what Lange will be thinking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daft said:

That is very worrying actually. I did not know this. 

Are there any tactically clever English managers?

They seem quite useless in this regard the lot of them. All talk and focus on simplistic and one-dimensional aspects.

They put on Hamann to play centre midfield and Gerrard pushed to the right wing but as they won he got all the credit

10 minutes ago, daft said:

I wouldn’t say that yet but a bad defeat v Everton would certainly see a lot more turn on him 

• Like 2

Just now, daft said:

Is Ming's really that good, or are people just doing some wishful thinking due to a poor defensive performance?

He's not without his flaws, but he'd not be letting people have free headers in the box from set pieces

I don't understand my managers make life so hard on themselves by deliberately ignoring common concensus. Is it to prove they are smarter than the average football fan? Is it to stamp authority? Justify wages? Overthinking? 

Genuinely would love to see an experiment where a team is run by supporter majority vote - we aren't as thick as football professionals believe and there's a reason why some opinions are commonly held by the supporters. At the end of the day we have watched more villa games than this management team

Reinstate Ming's, start Emi in place of couts (to be subbed on 2nd half), play Dougie. Simples.

He seems to have picked some odd battles and hills to die on

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That's the thing with Gerrard. As a player, and he was an exceptionally good one, his thing was his ridiculous engine, great ability at striking the ball, very good long pass ability, and a bit of dirty hard man streak. There's nothing to suggest he was that bothered by the tactical side of things, and I doubt he has changed that as a manager.

This is why I think he could still be successful IF he had a better coaching team.

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

I don't understand my managers make life so hard on themselves by deliberately ignoring common concensus. Is it to prove they are smarter than the average football fan? Is it to stamp authority? Justify wages? Overthinking? 

Genuinely would love to see an experiment where a team is run by supporter majority vote - we aren't as thick as football professionals believe and there's a reason why some opinions are commonly held by the supporters. At the end of the day we have watched more villa games than this management team

Reinstate Ming's, start Emi in place of couts (to be subbed on 2nd half), play Dougie. Simples.

This most likely comes from the fact that we are not privy to what the team is trying to achieve tactically. 

Things look insane to us, but most likely they had at least seemed to make sense if we had known what the idea was.

• Like 1

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

2 of the most successful managers of last decade Zidane and Ancelotti kept things as simple as possible and had a lot of success

Some have studied Pep and want to prove they are intelligent Like he does and he regularly fails when he tries to be too clever

17 minutes ago, daft said:

I have a feeling it would only bring him a short reprieve. 

I've seen this pattern many times before. He's done, and as soon as things turn against us again, which they do for all teams, the fans will be on him in an instant. 

He's done. The cycle continues, because there aren't any managers realistically grabbable that can live up to expectations. 

We'll just keep doing what we've been doing for decades.

Harsh, but that's our reality we have to deal with. 

We'll never be great again.

42 years ago after a spell that included time in the old third division and almost bankruptcy, if places like this existed, you would be forgiven for saying the same. 41 years ago we were great again and about to get even greater. 

We truly are the most unfathonable club on the planet. When Leicester won the league after a relegation battle they were doing a very good Villa impression. Their failure to get relegated 5 years later is the only thing that lets them down. 

Is it likely that we repeat the trick again? Likely no. Possible, for the often infuriating Aston Villa, absolutely yes. Take away anything but not the hope. Keep the faith, anything else is just daft. 

• Like 4

Just now, a m ole said:

This is why I think he could still be successful IF he had a better coaching team.

Said before I think McAllister is a problem, he was last time he was here and no surprise similar things happening again with fall outs with players

He isnt some brilliant coach/manager either to persevere with

• Like 2

Â