Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

22 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

If we’re going to assume that Steven Gerrard the player reflects Steven Gerrard the manager, then surely we should focus on the other aspects of Steven Gerrard as a player which are more relevant to modern day team management, such as tactical understanding. He was an utter disaster at this as a player. Benitez is quoted as saying as much, and it’s really showing. 

Arrigo Sacchi put it best when he described Gerrard as a great footballer but not a great football player.

More or less saying he had all the physical and technical ability but lacked the brain to go with it. His physical and technical talents are no use to him as a manager.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I have to admit I'm a little gutted this morning. I was so optimistic yesterday and its been brought crashing down. Not just because of the result yesterday but also because it just seems like we're going down the inevitable manager isn't good enough path now which will be a long winding road of the occasional result mixed in with several bad ones. We had it with Smith at times where long term you knew he wasnt good enough. The catch all term is "lost confidence in the managers ability". Now we have to kind of wait for a run bad enough for him to be sacked which actually might not take long based on yesterday. The reason I'm gutted is because this season already, might just be a "next season" write off due to the fact that Gerrard might last until nearly Xmas then the new man will have the same "give him a full summer" get out clause that Gerrard got last season.

Yes, we could now go on a run and turn it around and I really hope we do but its very hard to have such hopeful optimism based on yesterday.

This is the Villa mentality, and have been for years and years now. 

Replacing that with a winning mentality that permeateytje whole club will take years, and will hinge on the right manager being in place, with owners that have a clear vision of what they want to achieve.

Our identity now is one of insecurity and indecisiveness, sacking mediocre or poor managers, replacing them with anothee mediocre or poor one, reinforothe vicious cycle of indecisiveness and insecurity. 

We can probably do this forever. 

Not all clubs can be the best.

We just don't have the proper culture. 

Also, listening to you guys, you have convinced me Gerrard was a very poor choice from the beginning.

This means the board and owners really have no **** clue on how to build that winning mentality. 

They must step up or go. 

Fans can always be won back but the only way to do that is with results obviously. I remember under MON we started with a dreadful loss to Wigan in the opening game and it was doom and gloom but then next game we beat Liverpool at Anfield and had a solid season. However it's not just one result, yesterday was a statement game and we couldnt really have played anyone better due to their absentees and failed to answer the bell yet again. As I said in the match thread, nothing but a convincing win and performance next game will be acceptable. If not then the fans will become toxic and its only going one way from there.

4 minutes ago, daft said:

Replacing that with a winning mentality that permeateytje whole club will take years, and will hinge on the right manager being in place, with owners that have a clear vision of what they want to achieve.

Our identity now is one of insecurity and indecisiveness, sacking mediocre or poor managers, replacing them with anothee mediocre or poor one, reinforothe vicious cycle of indecisiveness and insecurity. 

If we keep signing medicore mangers taking a gamble, the likes of, Steve Bruce, Dean Smith, Steven Gerrard, we ain't going anywhere. We need to go big, we all know this. Poch is the only manager now who could take us places, Rodgers would be a good shout, but he does have a shelf life it seems.

I know it's only the first game, but the play after a successful preseason, really spoke volumes of where we are with Gerrard.

28 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I wouldn’t say that yet but a bad defeat v Everton would certainly see a lot more turn on him 

Not even a bad defeat, a poor performance with a lack of gameplan would also see people turn I think.

I was on the fence, however yesterday was very worrying and I lost a lot of belief he's the guy to take us forward.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Your name gives you away 

😅

No, but seriously. I just learned that several well respected managers have described him as lacking a footballing brain. 

That is extremely serious for a manager in the highest league.

We can't ignore it just because they are rich. 

They need to know what they are doing, and they appointed a manager with extremely limited ta tical skills? 

I had completely missed that detail.

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Daft by name, daft by nature. 

This is nonsense. Improved performances, better results and some consistency is all that's required. 

Daft I may be, but I am right. 😅

Looking at the next 5 games the problem now if we don't beat Everton I don't see where the next win is coming from. 

I can't see us beating Palace away (although I appreciate we won the corresponding match last season), West Ham at home, Arsenal away or Man City at home.

Very soon the stats could be 2 wins in 17 games. Even if we win vs Everton we could well be looking at 3 wins in 17.

The pressure deserves to mount if we continue this dire form and that happens.

With a whole pre-season to sort out the glaring issues we've still not resolved some of them and that is on Gerrard.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

17 minutes ago, daft said:

It was and then we had a manager who changed it for the better. 

Club record winning streak and promotion. Surviving when dead and buried and a cup final. Highest points total in over a decade. And then after a terrible pre season we show no patience or any acceptance of a blip and he's gone. 

I don't think that's how you build a winning mentality. It takes time. Unfortunately unlike Smith, Gerrard hasn't shown anything to suggest investing time will pay off. I seriously hope by Xmas that's changed. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It was and then we had a manager who changed it for the better. 

Club record winning streak and promotion. Surviving when dead and buried and a cup final. Highest points total in over a decade. And then after a terrible pre season we show no patience or any acceptance of a blip and he's gone. 

I don't think that's how you build a winning mentality. It takes time. Unfortunately unlike Smith, Gerrard has shown anything round suggest investing time will pay off. I seriously hope by Xmas that's changed. 

Fully agree. You need to be confident enough in your appointment to give the guy time. 

Feels like our owners caved and appointed Gerrard because of his name alone. 

I have seriously lost confidence in them after hearing you guys describe Gerrard.

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

So 6th place this season would see him lose the fans?

No, that'd give him time until the next losing streak, then he'd be gone and the next mediocre Englishman will be in for a maximum of two years. 

Â