Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, MrBlack said:

He actually admitted he's waiting for moments of magic.  I thought it was a running joke but no, he said it in his post match comments. 

He then said it twice more. Saying the one we got from young isn't enough, and that we need to find more. 

He's clueless, and shouldnt be anywhere near a premier league manager role. 

How about you set the team up to create chances instead of expecting the individuals to do your job for you Stevie. Except they can't because you've eliminated any semblance of width from our team, and insist on picking the same players whose confidence is shot the run of tragic performances inspired by your "leadership".

Why is he still here? 

About as clueless as it gets.  To sum up his tactical philosophy; Park the bus and hope for a moment of magic. That might of worked against St. Mirren, but it's not gonna cut it in the Championship never mind PL.

• Like 1

Gerrards tactics....

"wait for individual moments of brilliance".

Yeah. great idea, not like its a good idea to actually have a team work tactically to create chances.

the guy is a proper fraud.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

What does he think Young did? A belter from outside the box. Without that moment of magic we'd have lost, does he think they all need to do that every game to win? 

Yes. It would seem that he does think that. A highly paid amateur.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair Bournemouth lost 9-0 to Liverpool and they're above them too

Yet there will be absolutely zero chance they will finish above liverpool but of we stick with gerrard i bet they finish above us

What the **** is this moments of magic bollocks?

He says he's let them play with freedom and wanted them to create things. Sorry but if you don't coach the team to be compact, control possession and patiently work the ball into dangerous areas consistently then you aren't asking for 1 moment of magic you're asking for a series of moments of magic improvised by at least a couple of players to even work a chance. The whole point of good coaching is to have ways of getting the ball into those areas and have players available to take advantage. Then you can talk about moments of magic, last night there was a shitload of hopeful diagonal balls up top missing out midfield. You need more than magic at this level to score like that.

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m still really flipping annoyed that we sacked Smith for this. 

At the time I thought it was right to get rid of Smith, but we have completely messed up his replacement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Magic = an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source

That's what you want from the man with the plan, the inexplicable.

He has been scouting Gandalf to join in January. Fits the age profile too

• Haha 1

The table is extremely tight even after just 9 games - one win separates  16th and 7th places.  There's a mixture of promoted teams having half decent starts,  the usual strugglers and stragglers who will be down there come crunch time (Brentford, Southampton, Leeds, Forest, probably us)  and a few teams that have been very good recently but had poor, inconsistent starts - Liverpool, Wolves, West Ham and Leicester.  With most of them, with perhaps the exception of Forest and Southampton,  you can see positive signs  in the way they play.  Even Leicester are scoring goals and will probably be ok if can sort out their defence.  Wolves could have a top level manager soon.    For us to have ended up in 9th last night would have given Gerrard some breathing space and Purslow an excuse not to sack him, but it would have been a massive misconception after a dreadful start to the season full of awful performances. It may be a blessing that it didn't happen.   

• Like 3

Just now, mrchnry said:

I'm losing faith in the board now. 

And me. I'm certain Gerrard is telling them we're "very close" to turning draws into wins like he did in his post match interview and I guess they believe him without realising how bad we have been this season. 

The amount of times we was in good positions last night, and the final choice/pass was poor. 

Watkins shouldn't be offside, Ramsey should shoot across the goalie, McGinn and Archer should do better. Thats not including the amount of times the ball is wide and the cross fails to beat the 1st defender.n't taken the max points we should

What Gerrard is saying imho is some of the players aren't good enough to take us up the table. 

McGinn, Ings, Bailey, Watkins are not top 10 players, Buendia, PC, and Ramsey maybe. Replace Watkins and Bailey with better players, who have better touch, make better runs, and are better players and Ramsey, PC, and Emi become better players as well.

Kamara has probably been the best signing in 10 to 15 years, because he is exactly the kind of player we needed, we have a ready made replacement in Tim, we need better players around him. I'm not sure that is Gerrards fault. I understand the temptation to buy Sarr, but maybe SG thought that he was not the right player to take us forward, and I think his signings have been very good so far.

We have shown in the last few games that we are much better than Leeds, Forest, and Southampton , but our limitations up front means we have taken the maximun levels we should.

I know its an unpopular view, but i would give him until the summer, allow him to buy a couple in Jan, and then if hes still here , improve the squad in the summer.

I watched the last 2 games, and i didn't see tactical naivety in our play, jus bad decision making.

I think Jack hid a lot of our problems. He was probably worth about 10 to 15 points a season

Â