Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

In the pre-match build up on Sky, Carragher explained Gerrard’s as a manager.

His inspiration as a manager comes from Houllier and Benitez.

The philosophy is to keep a narrow and tight shape, that prevent conceding goals. And then give the ball to the forward players and hope they do something with it. I guess that was ok for Benitez that had Gerrard and Torres in the team.

In other words there is no hope with Gerrard, unless we sign some word class attacking players. Not sure if that even helps, because modern football have moved on, and ideas from 20 years ago, do no longer work. Good modern coatches do train players in how to attack.

Benitez, I can maybe see.

However to me, Houllier actually TRIED to play decent football.

Someone on BEIN made the same point you have, then he said you can see the difference with someone like Arteta who has gotten his style from Pep/Bielsa/Cruyff etc.

At this point I just want him sacked so I can put my theory about our squad being way worse than we think to bed, one way or another. I doubt the board will move though. They seem happy enough with the man for some reason.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not trying to dig you out for this but it's an out dated concept

He's looking at a potential £10m+ pay off for being sacked

No one is walking away from that

I'm absolutely aware. It's why I'd have respect for him doing it, he's a multi millionaire several times over, he can afford to. 

It's not the equivalent of a middle manager hanging in for redundancy. 

Edited by Dale

Just now, Dale said:

I'm absolutely aware. It's why I'd have respect for him doing it, he's a multi millionaire several times over, he can afford to. 

It's not the equivalent of a middle manager hanging in front for redundancy. 

Agreed, but in all honesty he'd be a **** idiot to turn the money down. 

1 minute ago, Dale said:

It's not the equivalent of a middle manager hanging in for redundancy. 

Let's say he's worth £30m. Even then, a £10m pay off is massive. £10m makes sure his kids, kids, kids don't ever have to work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah, this was being discussed at the start of the season. The most recent example of a top flight manager walking with no other job to go to (that I could find) was Moyes after Sunderland were relegated in 2017.

• Like 1

Just now, Dale said:

It's not the equivalent of a middle manager hanging in front for redundancy. 

Really, I don’t think he can afford to.  He’s well off no doubt but he’ll be living a life well off and certainly to walk away from the equivalent of two years wages.  These people live at a far more expensive life than we are use to and £10m is not something he’d walk away from.  You have to put it at the level they live at and not a comparison to our wages.  To live the lifestyle him and his family live at he can’t afford to walk away from £10m.  Different world to us.  Plus he wouldn’t give a damn about our respect, it’s not like he’d have much connection with us if he leaves.

He has called out the "big hitters" in the team for not doing enough, including Coutinho.

Without a game plan it's no surprise that these players aren't performing. It's an arse covering comment suggesting that he's doing enough but the players aren't producing the moments of magic that we need to win games.

We're shit under Gerrard and have been for some time.

I just can't see a way out of this quagmire.

Quagmire Toilet GIF - Quagmire Toilet Funny - Discover & Share GIFs

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Says it all really.

No other profession rewards failure quite so much as professional sport.

• Like 3

This thread moves fast so no doubt this was covered 50 pages ago - but he now has a worse win percentage than Sherwood. If there is to be a bar by which we judge a manager, after twelve months - this is surely it.

• Sad 1

No way out for him and us other than him going. Line a replacement up and get rid.

If Purslow hesitates then we will drop into the relegation zone and getting a decent manager in then will be more difficult, just hope they haven't seen us play ove the last 9 games. 

Problem is we are still asking Purslow to make football decisions and he's not the man for that job. 

• Like 1

Just get rid of him. He’s just not good enough. He might well turn out to be (I highly doubt it), but for the stated goals of the club, he’s just not good enough at this moment. It was a mistake hiring him. Sometimes it’s better to admit that you f***ed up.

I think it’s going to take a bit longer though barring a few hammerings.

Â