Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

We **** stink. Reminds me of Utd under OGS. Another chancer.

Sherwood would get us more points. Lambert would get us more points. Smith would get us more points.

Is this it for the season? Being the new Burnley of the PL. Keep it tight at all costs.

"Continuous improvement"

"No excuses"

Get rid.

• Like 3

Firing Gerrard should be strictly transactional at this point: Villa's needs aren't being met. The relationship doesn't work. We need a change.  Doesn't need to be a blame game.  Due diligence and patience have been given. A call was made on a manager, and it hasn't worked out. It happens. Tired of the analysis paralysis of trying to justify or not justify the timing, reasons, comparisons, etc etc etc. Time to move on.   

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This isnt now a manager who is implementing a clear style of play on his squad. It is a manager holding on to his job by any means necessary. 

It's the classic case of trying not to lose instead of going for the win. 

• Like 1

While Smith had credit in the bank with the fans, Gerrard has credit with Purslow, with the latter said to be ‘infatuated’ with Gerrard prior to his appointment. Purslow will be selling the dream to the board still. Unbeaten in 3, injury problems, look at Arteta, etc.

You can then turn your attention on the owners. I suspect if he is to get his marching orders, they will come from Edens. I feel he probably takes more of an active role being an experienced club owner. He’ll know what he’s seeing is poor and will have a good handle on the feeling amongst the fan base. 

I sincerely hope Wesley has seen enough. 

Get him gone..... And do something radical.

Put Carla Ward in charge for the Forest game, see what happens. (I'm genuinely intrigued to see how a PL team react to having a female head coach - even if it's just for a game or two.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was a bit sceptical when his name was 1st mentioned to become manager, he came in and we seen some nice football being played, it was quick , it was fluid, Gerrard was saying exciting stuff too the media about our aims. I was like why are people worried that he may be using us a stepping stone for the Liverpool job, I was thinking well he hasn't proved anything yet in terms of his CV and if he does well for a few seasons and get's offered the Liverpool job then it'll be on merit and Villa will be left in a good position,

but then get to March and we looked blunt and out of ideas. That's when you see a change in his post match interviews, the petulant, irky kind of responses to questions he should be getting asked. 

We look a bit more defensively solid but my god are we boring to watch, that was not good last night. What was the point of keeping Archer around if he's not going to get a chance against a team down to 10 men, what's he got to lose especially now we can use 5 subs (which he didn't use)

Soon the noise from the terraces will be too loud to ignore for the owners

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We **** stink. Reminds me of Utd under OGS. Another chancer.

Sherwood would get us more points. Lambert would get us more points. Smith would get us more points.

Is this it for the season? Being the new Burnley of the PL. Keep it tight at all costs.

"Continuous improvement"

"No excuses"

Get rid.

We do just literally hoof the ball to Watkins and hope for the best. The only decent play seems to be when Coutinho or Buendia get on the ball. Nobody else seems to be able to play through the lines or even want to play neat, intricate football. 

A lot of our problems still lie in central midfield - SHOCK HORROR - with McGinn and to an extent Ramsey not being able to dictate play or control football matches. 

Gerrard’s system stinks and his team selections are mostly baffling, but we’re still a poor side on paper for me. Bailey, Watkins and McGinn stink the place out nearly every week. You can’t be a successful PL side when three of your players consistently put in turgid performances. 

• Like 1

This really does feel like it is winding down to an inevitable parting of the ways now. I watch Villa devoid of hope (I knew we wouldn't score yesterday) and bored to tears. I just wish we'd act now instead of waiting for something that we all know won't come. 

Just now, R.Bear said:

I still keep seeing posts like "with the players we have". What players are these? Our forward line is one of the worst in the league. Watkins can't finish, Ings is anonymous every game. Bailey has been shite, as has Ramsey. McGinn hasnt had a good game in years. We have some decent players but it seems Villa fans are overrating this squad to the extreme. We should be doing better yes but people need to take a moment and look at who we have actually got.

I know everyone is going to blame Gerrard of course but this isnt as good a team as people think it is at all, especially with the injuries right now.

We've scored 6 goals in 8 games and we have Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Watkins. Do you honestly think those options aren't up to scratch? Have you only supported Villa for a year or something? ffs man, this is woefully underperforming. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I still keep seeing posts like "with the players we have". What players are these? Our forward line is one of the worst in the league. Watkins can't finish, Ings is anonymous every game. Bailey has been shite, as has Ramsey. McGinn hasnt had a good game in years. We have some decent players but it seems Villa fans are overrating this squad to the extreme. We should be doing better yes but people need to take a moment and look at who we have actually got.

I know everyone is going to blame Gerrard of course but this isnt as good a team as people think it is at all, especially with the injuries right now.

They are better than that and with proper coaching they would be scoring more. The complicated system we play is what is causing issues

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Sickened to watch the majority of the away end clap the players and manager off the pitch today. I don’t get it, we play like that and get applauded off.

Despise Gerrard and can’t see a way forward for the club until he’s gone.

The fans need to turn on him and fast, because Purslow will hold out as long as possible to his golden child.

Fans who travel miles to away games are entitled to do what they want.  Like supporting the team regardless of what you think of the manager.

Gerrard still seems to get the majority of the home support. I think sometimes fan forums are in a little bubble sometimes.

It seems to me Gerrard just sends the players out with a rough plan and a few clichéd lines like 'keep it tight', 'battle for the ball', 'take your chances'.

I'd assumed given his playing pedigree he'd have a bit of nuance, but he doesn't or doesn't know how to implement it.

If he could find the right coaching team he may make it as a manager but as of now he's heading absolutely nowhere. His big name will keep him employed for a few years I'm sure but he'll be exposed before long and quietly disappear or slip into punditry.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It seems to me Gerrard just sends the players out with a rough plan and a few clichéd lines like 'keep it tight', 'battle for the ball', 'take your chances'.

I'd assumed given his playing pedigree he'd have a bit of nuance, but he doesn't or doesn't know how to implement it.

If he could find the right coaching team he may make it as a manager but as of now he's heading absolutely nowhere. His big name will keep him employed for a few years I'm sure but he'll be exposed before long and quietly disappear or slip into punditry.

I see what you did there

It has nearly been a year and, if anything, we have gone backwards.

Feels like the expectation at the club is slowly being lowered and this is going to be another wasted season.

I doubt Gerrard is even under pressure to turn things around at the moment, especially given his ability to bullshit.

Everything just feels so pointless at the moment, and other teams have the opportunity to push on if they take the chance.

• Like 1

Â