Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I accept the majority of posters on here want him gone.. My opinion is that he had lost his two marquee summer signings to iinjury. Yesterday we we were also without our two first choice fullbacks and then the backup left back went off. These are excuses but we  have adapted our game since the Arsenal defeat and become much harder to beat. Man City are stuffing every team yet we get a draw against them. Yes the football isnt good to watch but we picking up points so it doesnt seem like the right time to sack him. 

The last manager never played his 3 summer signings together and wasnt allowed as an excuse

• Like 2

Mings: Our best CB, captaincy stripped and dropped for no reason just before the season

Dougie L: Arguably our best MF, only starting due to injuries

Buendia: Our best creative player, not in the first XI

Traore: Our only player who can truly create something out of nothing, loaned to Turkey

Ings: Our best goalscorer, not in the first XI

SG has dropped all our best players plus the one wildcard, why??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I accept the majority of posters on here want him gone.. My opinion is that he had lost his two marquee summer signings to iinjury. Yesterday we we were also without our two first choice fullbacks and then the backup left back went off. These are excuses but we  have adapted our game since the Arsenal defeat and become much harder to beat. Man City are stuffing every team yet we get a draw against them. Yes the football isnt good to watch but we picking up points so it doesnt seem like the right time to sack him. 

Maybe this was despite the manager? The motivation for that match could simply have been "let's prove to ourselves and others that we can compete against the best despite the gaffer"

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The last manager never played his 3 summer signings together and wasnt allowed as an excuse

If Gerrard had of lost 5 in a row this season then yes I would agree he would have to go. 

1 minute ago, a-k said:

Maybe this was despite the manager? The motivation for that match could simply have been "let's prove to ourselves and others that we can compete against the best despite the gaffer"

So you can't even give him credit for the way he set the team up in that game yet yesterday he gets the blame because Oilie Watkins and other cant put away chances. 

Just now, PaulC said:

So you can't even give him credit for the way he set the team up in that game yet yesterday he gets the blame because Oilie Watkins and other cant put away chances. 

I didn't not give any credit, I just postulated something.

I also did not give any blame, but yes he does get it because when he sees Watkins having an off day and the rest that he offers is no longer "needed" as Leeds have gone down to 10, it is his responsibility to make the subs and get someone else on who may be finishing those chances on the day

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes we should have won yesterday but he is learning and developing as a manager. We've only conceded one goal in three games and that was against Man City, okay we're having problems at the other end and a tweak might be needed there, but now is not the time to sack him. 

I see a lot of people saying this. But no one can point to anything he have learned or any new skill he have developed the last year. Parking the bus and hoofing the ball up front and hoping that something happens is too basic to count.

We have to face the fact, he is too thick to be able learn to be a proper manager, there will be no progress. Our players are good enough to crush most of the team we have played this season, if they are managed correctly, and even in Gerrard’s horrible tactics that are able to get us some result. 

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

I didn't not give any credit, I just postulated something.

I also did not give any blame, but yes he does get it because when he sees Watkins having an off day and the rest that he offers is no longer "needed" as Leeds have gone down to 10, it is his responsibility to make the subs and get someone else on who may be finishing those chances on the day

Yes he could have brought Ings on a bit earlier and maybe subbed Watkins as he had obviously lost the plot in the second half. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If Gerrard had of lost 5 in a row this season then yes I would agree he would have to go. 

But his points total this season isn’t much difference to Smith’s.  Just because it’s in a different order shouldn’t make a difference. Plus it’s on the back of a poor 2022 just like Smiths was on the back of a poor 2021. He should be fired!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I see a lot of people saying this. But no one can point to anything he have learned or any new skill he have developed the last year. Parking the bus and hoofing the ball up front and hoping that something happens is too basic to count.

We have to face the fact, he is too thick to be able learn to be a proper manager, there will be no progress. Our players are good enough to crush most of the team we have played this season, if they are managed correctly, and even in Gerrard’s horrible tactics that are able to get us some result. 

This team wernt' exactly delivering under Smith either particularly with the absence of Grealish.  So maybe they are not as good as people make out 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But his points total this season isn’t much difference to Smith’s.  Just because it’s in a different order shouldn’t make a difference. Plus it’s on the back of a poor 2022 just like Smiths was on the back of a poor 2021. He should be fired!

I am sure he would have gone but for picking up 5 points from the last three games. If we loose to Forest the pressure is right back on him. 

Just now, PaulC said:

I am sure he would have gone but for picking up 5 points from the last three games. If we loose to Forest the pressure is right back on him. 

If they are managing him game by game I would lose more respect for them.  They are too savvy to look at that level, they would be looking at the wider picture hence why I’m surprised Gerrard is still here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

At least Smith developed players, Ramsey particularly, and Archer technically broke through under his management. He also did a phenomenal job with Grealish. He already seems to be doing wonders for Aaron Ramsey.

Gerrard has not given youth a chance even in the League Cup. Archers development will have halted (maybe he had an injury) but no minutes aren't good for him. 

He gave very little opportunity to Carney C he left. 

Aside from the terrible tactics and football, it should be a major red flag on this alone. I do not trust him to nurture the best group of academy products we've had in many years.

100% agree.

It’s obvious why he doesn’t play youth - he believes the older players are more reliable and more likely to bring him points in the very short perspective. All managers need to show quick results so it’s understandable, but there has to be some professional pride in also doing what’s best for the club in the long run.

SG clearly doesn’t give a shit about any of this.

• Like 1

Been hearing all day how poor Wolves were ending last season and carrying on with there poor form this season which has justified the sacking of Lange.

We ain't no better, winning 1 more game only 2 points ahead, but apparently Gerrard seems untouchable by the media.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

At least Smith developed players, Ramsey particularly, and Archer technically broke through under his management. He also did a phenomenal job with Grealish. He already seems to be doing wonders for Aaron Ramsey.

Gerrard has not given youth a chance even in the League Cup. Archers development will have halted (maybe he had an injury) but no minutes aren't good for him. 

He gave very little opportunity to Carney C he left. 

Aside from the terrible tactics and football, it should be a major red flag on this alone. I do not trust him to nurture the best group of academy products we've had in many years.

Yeah I did think it was going to be a big part of the remit for any manager we had, be it Dean or whoever would take over from him, like we were preparing for the long term rather than short term fixes.  Another reason I feel a bit deflated about us at the moment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Been hearing all day how poor Wolves were ending last season and carrying on with there poor form this season which has justified the sacking of Lange.

We ain't no better, winning 1 more game only 2 points ahead, but apparently Gerrard seems untouchable by the media.

Just had a quick look at this because it does seem a good parallel and completely unsurprisingly Lage actually has a better PPG than Gerrard (1.29 to 1.24).

• Like 1

Â