Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, isn't Purslow a minority shareholder? NSWE would have to buy his shares i'd imagine.

Dr Tony was also a minority shareholder, minority is the key word here.

If we are all honest, the last few months under Gerrard and the next few weeks(if he has that long), will not define us as a club in the long term. Especially to outsiders of the fan base. What it is doing though is opening up the owners/ceo to criticism from the fan base. It's okay having grand plans, throwing good money after bad, soundbites on the ambition. If actions don't start speaking louder than words though there is a very real possibility of the hierarchy disconnecting with the fan base instead of continuing the connection. Last season was bad enough with a changing of the guard and no improvement, but another wasted season is going to become a habit, one that we all could do without. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andym said:

He's oblivious to the fact that its not picking 'technical' players that has been the issue; it been his tactics of having 'technical' attacking players play narrow to cover midfielders, who are in turn covering the fullbacks, who for some reason are being used as our main creative outlets.

This is why he needs to go, regardless of whether there will be any short term improvement in results. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is why he needs to go, regardless of whether there will be any short term improvement in results. 

I agree, even if he starts winning games we need to sack him, we must.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Dr Tony was also a minority shareholder, minority is the key word here.

This is how much sway Purslow would have if the board wanted to sack Slippy G

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I think Arsenal and City were free hits, if we revert to poor perforamces in next two games he'll be gone,

I'm sure it's more complicated than just sacking Purslow,  isn't he a minority shareholder? NSWE would have to buy his shares i'd imagine.

Lots of people own shares in the company they work for, they can leave and still retain their shares. I doubt it would be a problem to buy his share out anyway if for some reason they felt he needed to be out out and not just out. 

I finally watched his documentary the other night, im surprised he carried on playing for the club when the fans were calling him allsorts and burning the shirt. Not to mention the threats he was getting.

I can't see Villa fans burning anything if he decided to move on. He has coped with a lot of 'pressure' over the years but that doesn't always translate into coaching or management pressure. 

I dunno, I want him to succeed with Villa

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I finally watched his documentary the other night, im surprised he carried on playing for the club when the fans were calling him allsorts and burning the shirt. Not to mention the threats he was getting.

I can't see Villa fans burning anything if he decided to move on. He has coped with a lot of 'pressure' over the years but that doesn't always translate into coaching or management pressure. 

I dunno, I want him to succeed with Villa

Gerrard?

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Aston Villa got shown up a year ago appointing a manager at a similar time to one of our rivals. While Newcastle go from strength to strength under Howe we continue to waste time and tens of millions with Gerrard waiting for his payoff.

Dearly hope we aren't shown up again this year. We'll be appointing a new manager within probably six weeks of both Brighton and Leicester. 

If we get it wrong again, Purslow and Lange have to go.

I don’t think we have wasted money, the Gerrard appointment might turn out to be wrong but I think the players bought in have been pretty solid signings regardless of who was in charge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I don’t think we have wasted money, the Gerrard appointment might turn out to be wrong but I think the players bought in have been pretty solid signings regardless of who was in charge. 

I do largely agree but they've cost an absolute fortune in fees and wages and we've got worse on the pitch.

If the new man can't get anything out of them because they're all declining, it's a big fat expensive anchor around our neck going forward. The only successful path signing players like this is if you get immediate results on the pitch.

I can't actually believe we've got even worse with them under Gerrard. He's never going to get a PL job again.

46 minutes ago, macandally said:

Why do Leicester and Southampton matter?

32 games do not lie, he will not make it as a Manager (certainly not as a coach)

Surely most people can see that already?

I mean.. I know it’s only Scotland but he did win the league up there… plus built the team that go to the europa league final.

Plus only 6 defeats out of 45 games In Europe. 

Not saying he should stay in charge if we lose the next two games, but I think it’s silly for us to declare how shit a manager he is, when there is evidence that he has got ability.

He is no Graham Potter or Poch though, or even Tuchel, so not against him getting sacked if a better option wants to join us. (Shame about Potter, my first choice)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Gutted that we've missed out on Potter in order to give more time to this doomed experiment.

Certainly a man who's taking his craft seriously and who has the imagination and stomach to do as he sees best even if it's not commonplace. 

I think Gerrard may get it together enough to finish in the upper half of the standings.

And I expect that even if he should that we will be keeping a vigilant eye on any managers that have the ability as well as the desire to make this club go another step up.

Edited by A'Villan

Â