Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Watching Leeds and Newcastle today has really depressed me. I want him gone and I want a competent, experienced manager to come in. 

I’d take competent, experienced or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, By the arse of McGinn said:

Watching Leeds and Newcastle today the one thing that’s totally apparent is that those players will run through walls for their respective managers. 

They also look like they know what they’re meant to be doing. 

It's not just mindless running. 

It's with a purpose and actual tactics and a game plan. 

I don't think our players go out and set out to not "work hard". 

We are just a poorly coached side without a purpose. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Just from this weekend:

Leeds & Marsch look great. Clear style and their transfer business backed that up

Arsenal kept with the plan despite some issues, as they could see visible progress

Spurs sacked their manager who was clearly out of his depth and got in an outstanding coach

Brighton have a clear plan and philosophy and despite losing 2 of their key players, don't seem like it's affect them. Just buying quality replacements

Fulham and Silva look like they won't be in any relegation trouble so far. Palhinha probably would be our best cm by far 

Brentford: see Brighton. Absolutely great transfer and succession strategy 

Newcastle: Howe comes in and changes the club around, and don't go around splashing the new money on shiny new signings who might be past it

Palace: Viera has changed the culture at that club for the last year. Bringing in new signings, young and talented players and integrating them through the squad]

We want to see similar with Gerrard, but yet he hasn't shown any of this (despite some of these managers coming in after him). No discernable style of play except bombing forward fullbacks leaving us exposed. A transfer strategy which has drastically increased our wage bill. Making the problem of our midfield for the past few seasons the captain and therefore undroppable,  along with playing a similar midfielder, exposing the exact same midfield issues we had last year. Oh, and publicly stripping the captaincy off our only outfield player who has shown to be a leader and is vocal. 

I fail to see any progress, and if i'm honest, I see more of a regression from when he came into the club at the middle of last year. 

When it’s laid out like that, hard to see us finishing above any of those teams.

Could we say any players have improved under Gerrard's coaching? I can't think of a single one. JJ was Dean Smith's tutorship.

Howe turns a laughing stock Joelinton into a bloody good midfielder.

Potter has turned Alexis McAllister into a good midfielder and immediately done great work with Caicedo.

Vieira is playing Jeffrey Schlupp and Joel Ward and still getting performances out of them FFS. 

Brentford and Frank the players are endless.

Yet our solution is to buy proven experience who have amounted to a waste of money so far and have obviously significantly regressed from the peak of their career.

The warning signs were clearly there, if only we had known better and that's without naming players who were solid under Smith such as Konsa and Watkins who have regressed as players too.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

It's not just mindless running. 

It's with a purpose and actual tactics and a game plan. 

I don't think our players go out and set out to not "work hard". 

We are just a poorly coached side without a purpose. 

Exactly this. 

Its not even as if we are waiting for things to click on the pitch. There is no workable plan . End of. Theres no passion. No excitement. Viera has had to totally transform a team and has managed to do that with ease yesterday. There is no pattern of play. None. And managers can easily work us out to beat us with those high fullbacks. 

I genuinely thought we would really kick on this season , but sadly it isnt going to work. He isnt a coach or a motivator. He is a mouthpiece . He needs to go now. 

• Like 2

He's done some real damage when a £25m signing brings more worries than excitement :lol:

Sarr a good player if utilised correctly.

I hope Critchley has said we have to get some width and we absolutely need a winger to do it.

Up the Ismaila.

• Haha 1

Trying to buy our way out of a fundamental coaching problem isn't going to work. Someone previously used the chef analogy before but it really is like giving gourmet ingredients to someone who doesn't know how to boil a kettle and expecting a good meal. 

We need to be better than the sum of our parts and were very much the opposite right now and there aren't even the slightest rays of hope that it's going to turn around. That said our new assistant has only been in place for a very short time but that's clutching at the shortest of straws in terms of optimism.

I don't know what kind of timeline exists based on the upcoming fixtures, but you'd have to assume (or rather hope) that there is a contingency in place to relieve Gerrard of his duties if the wheels continue to fall off as they are currently...the second best time to plant a tree and all that.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Who are your three to drop?

There aren't three worse than us right now.

Right Now 

I don’t think the board are getting rid of SG anytime soon based on more backing in the transfer market. 
it takes normally 7-10 games before the table starts to  settle down. 
we will be comfortable in the league but possibly not where we want . 
To early to say but the promoted teams can still run out of steam it’s a long season . 
anything is possible but I believe we still have a good squad . 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Right Now 

I don’t think the board are getting rid of SG anytime soon based on more backing in the transfer market. 
To early to say but the promoted teams can still run out of steam it’s a long season . 

Mate.. Far too sensible.. 

This is potentially the best Villa squad and first eleven since O'Neill.

I was backing Gerrard but it now seems the writing is on the wall, we could be bottom of the league in the next few games.

Surely after we get stuffed by Man. City he will have to go?

After seeing today's results it is so depressing.

13 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Right Now 

I hope three have revealed themselves by 10 games in.

Just had a look at Nuno last year...he got 10 games before Spurs basically admitted their mistake. Gerrard's already had 31. Tick tock.

Â