Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a negative because the squad has undoubtedly improved massively since Gerrard arrived, yet we are completely shit. 

The only good period was before he made any of these signings. 

He’s got the players at his disposal, and he’s doing **** all with them

Ah, ok I thought you meant it would be a negative for a prospective new manager. 😄

• Like 1

I know we are rarely gonna get old skool Coutinho, but when he came in we had flashes of brilliance. If Gerrard can't even get it out of his pal anymore, whether tactics or Cout's not being arsed. it's defo time Gerrard packed his bags.

I still can't get over his insistence on playing with such an inept 'system'. On Saturday everyone could see huge gaps all across the field. Palace players moving through us and creating chances with ease. Our fullbacks were exposed, CBs exposed, midfield was dragged all over the place. I kept thinking he'll do something about that soon surely.  He did nothing, no tactical adjustments, that alone means he should be sacked. So frustrating for us but opposition mangers must be loving it when they see how he's setting us up. It's nuts. Gerrard needs a big dose of pragmatism or he's gone. 

Edited by The Other Mat

I went to the cinema to see "Nope" on Friday., and a mate asked me how it was..

I wrote"Flashes of brilliance... but weird inserts of gruesomeness to add shock value and mumbled dialogue with not enough witty repartee... bit like Stevie G as manager"

Edited by astondalston
Textuality

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you really not see how this is a huge negative?

Looking at those average position charts, if that is the result of nearly a years coaching then you could have some of the best players in the world and they'd struggle. It's that that needs to change, new players or not. With a worse squad we have played a lot better at this level.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, astondalston said:

I went to the cinema to see "Nope" on Friday., and a mate asked me how it was..

I wrote"Flashes of brilliance... but weird inserts of gruesomeness to add shock value and mumbled dialogue with not enough witty repartee... bit like Stevie G as manager"

Minus the flashes of brilliance.

Flashes of fist pumping.

He's going absolutely nowhere I fear. Purslow is wedded to having a billy big balls manager. It's all about prestige, brand and image with that guy. Gerrard is Purslow's favourite ever player. He'll never sack him. If Gerrard goes it will be part of an owner mandated purge and Purslow will go too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kevpants said:

He's going absolutely nowhere I fear. Purslow is wedded to having a billy big balls manager. It's all about prestige, brand and image with that guy. Gerrard is Purslow's favourite ever player. He'll never sack him. If Gerrard goes it will be part of an owner mandated purge and Purslow will go too.

People keep saying Purslow is ruthless and I'm sure he is, he certainly gives that impression. But I fear he might have a blind spot when it comes to Gerrard, who according to many interviews with Purslow during the years is more or less his personal idol.

There's also the fact that everyone knows about Purslow's role in picking SG, and if Gerrard turns out a flop that will make Purslow look bad. In situations like that it's not uncommon for people to simply double down and pray for the best. Sign a bunch of expensive players to save Gerrard?

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 2

Can we remove the ‘coaching’ tag from this thread, please? I don’t think SG knows what coaching is. Beyond platitudes about ‘zones’ and ‘ethos’, he has showed no ability to a) bring  this team together (quite the opposite) or b) improve the playing staff he has at his disposal. 

He’s lucky that he has been backed in the transfer market because the fan enthusiasm for those signings has papered over the cracks of his inability to develop his own players. This runs so far against the policy of bringing in players, developing them into assets for the club, that it isn’t even funny. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

When stats are getting to Mcleish and Sherwood levels of bad you know it's heading downwards.

Funnily enough I don't remember anyone wanting Mcleish or Sherwood to be given more time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

When stats are getting to Mcleish and Sherwood levels of bad you know it's heading downwards.

Funnily enough I don't remember anyone wanting Mcleish or Sherwood to be given more time. 

A friend of mine keeps pointing out that his record at Villa is identical to Gary Neville's at Valencia. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He has even lost 2 more than Garde with just 8 games more played 😞

At this stage only Garde has been a worse Villa manager for me and at least he can say he wasn't backed

Anyway..... I don't usually do this but read a post I put in the "Next manager of Aston Villa" thread after DS got let go......

"

I just think Gerrard is the wrong choice.

Let me explain. We've got a young manager here who whilst an outstanding footballer, has only been in the top job for what, 3 and a bit seasons is it? It's all very well having a great win record in Scotland, where it's easy to get to be fair if you're at one of the big two, but what about experience of barren runs? This is where I think we fall down. How will he react to a barren run of games, trying to pick confidence off the floor and get people going again? There's no evidence of him doing this and I don't want Aston Villa to yet again be the club where someone tries to work this out. Steven Gerrard is a high risk appointment.

Where are we at the moment as a football club? We're trying to stabalise and grow, be steady.

This is where I come in with unpopular opinion that Roberto Martinez might actually be the right man for the job. He's got the experience, he's been at the low ebb and has experience of pulling out of it. He's worked at big clubs, understands how they operate, he's worked with big personalities, problem children and up and coming youngsters. I genuinley think out of the likely and available candidates, he's the best fit for the moment, not yet another coach/manager with limited experience and hasn't experienced the really bad times in that position. Unfortunatley, we always seem to be the club where people learn that and suffer to recover, and the last two times we went "big" or for "proper big club experience" where Marin O Neill and Gerard Houllier, funnily enough the last two managers who got us to top ten finishes in the Premier League. I know people will credit GMac for that under the Houllier regime, but you'll probably find Houllier was running things from a phone, etc!

Gerrard potentially the right appointment but at the wrong time. Feels like a commercial decision as opposed to a footballing one."

Â