Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 03/03/2022 at 00:23, VillaChris said:

I don't think we're ready for europe tbh.

We should be ready for 10th or 9th though. That's generally a realistic metric once teams come up and stay up and one I'll be judging Gerrard on for rest of the season. 

We are not ready for Europe.....we all know where the improvements need to be....and so do the club.

I think its a dead give away, how our home form is no better than our away form.

Away, you can prosper, by counter attacking and mugging points against a lower possession rate.

Home,the onus is on us to take the game to the opposition, and thats where we struggle....we haven't got the personnel to do it by staying on the ball, longer than what we do. I think that also affects the 2 front men.

This is reflective of the points tally.

Right now, I fancy us away from home, rather than at home, despite having full houses.

10th or 9th would be good, under the circumstances of the squad balance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Watched todays press conference. Interesting comments around Austin McPhee, sort of paid him a compliment but then went on to say how they were constantly analysing what works and would review at the end of the season. Also mentioned Villa had enough staff to coach several teams. Think he’ll be streamlining all those coaches and data analysts come the end of the season.

He seems to have his feet under the table now and less on the charm offensive. He’d make you feel like crap if you pissed him off I reckon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Watched todays press conference. Interesting comments around Austin McPhee, sort of paid him a compliment but then went on to say how they were constantly analysing what works and would review at the end of the season. Also mentioned Villa had enough staff to coach several teams. Think he’ll be streamlining all those coaches and data analysts come the end of the season.

He seems to have his feet under the table now and less on the charm offensive. He’d make you feel like crap if you pissed him off I reckon.

Yeah I definitely got that vibe from the press conference.

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

7 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Yeah I definitely got that vibe from the press conference.

i can see quite a lot changing in the summer tbh.

Both for staff, and for quite a few players being shipped out to allow him to bring a fair few of his own in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If Gerrard wants MacPhee gone then Gerrard has to leave too. This is not his ego trip that he can demand things, he has done nothing to earn that 

MacPhee and Danks were Purslow or Lange signings for long term growth. If Gerrard cant accept them then he has to leave too

Hahah nope.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

If Gerrard wants MacPhee gone then Gerrard has to leave too. This is not his ego trip that he can demand things, he has done nothing to earn that 

MacPhee and Danks were Purslow or Lange signings for long term growth. If Gerrard cant accept them then he has to leave too

Gerrard is the head coach and if he feels that one of his team is not delivering then he should have the right to change them, just as he would a player. I'm sure Purslow/ Lange would agree.

I know you're not a big fan of Gerrard, I also think employing him was a mistake, but I think you're stretching a point just to criticise in this case.

Edited by picicata
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, picicata said:

Gerrard is the head coach and if he feels that one of his team is not delivering then he should have the right to change them, just as he would a player. I'm sure Purslow/ Lange would agree.

I know you're not a big fan of Gerrard, I also think employing him was a mistake, but I think you're stretching a point just to criticise in this case.

He can make those moves if he delivers on the pitch yes. Show some evidence he's the man for the future. Why should he get to change everything otherwise?

If we have to sack him, we already have Coutinho starting every game who will want to leave. Be nice to have some coaches around who know the players if a new man comes in.

He's talking a lot about the summer already and I worry about the stories of "four or five" first teamers leaving. Four more Digne and Coutinhos to replace them and 7th is a minimum finish. Not sure he'll get that. Not sure he'll get close.

Edited by Tomaszk

5 hours ago, picicata said:

He has to earn it before ripping things up. If was Klopp or Conte I would understand them being allowed free reign 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has to earn it before ripping things up. If was Klopp or Conte I would understand them being allowed free reign 

Surely if a manager has been chosen you have to go all in on them? If Gerrard feels a coach is adding nothing, or worse, then you have to back him. If you don't then there will always be the excuse that he wasn't allowed to succeed at the club. As I said, I'm no Gerrard fan, but the club must either back him fully or not at all. No half way house.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, picicata said:

Surely if a manager has been chosen you have to go all in on them? If Gerrard feels a coach is adding nothing, or worse, then you have to back him. If you don't then there will always be the excuse that he wasn't allowed to succeed at the club. As I said, I'm no Gerrard fan, but the club must either back him fully or not at all. No half way house.

Well, in many ways yes, and I have no problem with him changing a coach - but the whole point of a DOF system is to be a halfway house where things don’t start from scratch with every new manager. Whether that includes coaches tied long-term to the club not the manager is I guess a matter of opinion/a decision for the DOF/CEO/manager to discuss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

Credit to Gerrard for changing that absolutely kamikaze playing style. We look much better playing with "traditional" fullbacks and midfielders

It was wild watching our fullbacks run past our striker.  Our next 3 games are against teams who will look to control possession so we can run this formation out a couple more times. 

• Like 2

Â