Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I think a potential problem we have and the system that Gerrard is trying to employ is that it requires the midfield three to be very disciplined, it's not too different to the system that Liverpool use, they make it work because their midfield three is usually made up of defensively minded players, or players you wouldn't normally associate with attacking play, that's what allows their fullbacks to play virtually as wingers, because they've got the defensively minded midfield to compensate.

Whereas we play a very similar system, but play with quite an attack minded midfield, as much as we might enoy Ramsey's recent attacking performances to make Gerrard's system work we probably need him and McGinn or whoever's playing in the No.8 roles to be more disciplined.

Either that or tweak the system slightly, maybe two DMs, with Ramsey just ahead of them, that way the two DMs would mean the fullbacks could still have license to attack, and Ramsey would still be part of the midfield three and could still play the box to box midfield role that he's so good at, but would have more freedom to get forward.

I like the sound of that, would be more of a 4231

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I like the sound of that, would be more of a 4231

But still with the fullbacks very attacking instead of having normal wingers….

That’s right about Liverpool, their midfield is a lot more disciplined. No room for Ramsey’s way of playing there. Our own budget version would at least need Nakamba and Luiz playing together, in the roles of Fabinho and Thiago (ball winner/deep playmaker).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, useless said:

I think a potential problem we have and the system that Gerrard is trying to employ is that it requires the midfield three to be very disciplined, it's not too different to the system that Liverpool use, they make it work because their midfield three is usually made up of defensively minded players, or players you wouldn't normally associate with attacking play, that's what allows their fullbacks to play virtually as wingers, because they've got the defensively minded midfield to compensate.

Whereas we play a very similar system, but play with quite an attack minded midfield, as much as we might enoy Ramsey's recent attacking performances to make Gerrard's system work we probably need him and McGinn or whoever's playing in the No.8 roles to be more disciplined.

Either that or tweak the system slightly, maybe two DMs, with Ramsey just ahead of them, that way the two DMs would mean the fullbacks could still have license to attack, and Ramsey would still be part of the midfield three and could still play the box to box midfield role that he's so good at, but would have more freedom to get forward.

I’m not saying Gerrard is a Klopp but the latter finished 8th in his first season and that was after taking over a squad that should have won the league 2 seasons earlier.  I get fans frustrations but I also think many are very impatient.

edit: I just looked at the champions league final team against Real Madrid and they had 3 defensive midfielders in the midfield. Milner, Henderson and the Dutch player. You are bang on with the way they play and how Gerrard seems to want to emulate. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, hippo said:

We really don't need to pay a bloke £150k PW to do that.

Who are we paying that too? Gerrard is on around £85k pw

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats a hell of a lot for a trainee manager. No way he was hitting more than 30k at Rangers

£2.5m per year at Rangers, his current deal is £4m plus bonus 

5 hours ago, striker said:

If Gerrard has lost the dressing room then in my opinion that is no bad thing at all.

For way too long there have been players in the Villa squad having a nice little pay day for little or no effort. Gerrard doesn’t strike me as the type of person to tolerate that so giving those players a few home truths with the risk of losing their so called effort and support is one way of getting them out of the club in the summer. I’d include Luiz, McGinn and Watkins in that.

I see some have criticised Gerrard’s lack of reaction during the Newcastle game to that turgid performance. I saw it more as taking a mental note of who is going to get their P45 in the summer. Once Gerrard gets his own players in only then will you see him react as one would expect.

Bang on the button - starting to see a lot of smiths players for what they really are and good riddance to them when he sells them on 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Bang on the button - starting to see a lot of smiths players for what they really are and good riddance to them when he sells them on 

Didn't Smith allude to this just before he left when things got tough? He said something along the lines of "good on the training pitch, but not so good in the game"...

I'm happy if Gerrard comes in and tells them why the are so s***, it needs to be said. We are all thinking it and pointing fingers, it's not good enough!

If players don't like to pushed and improve their performances they can leave and be replaced by better players with better attitudes.

I'm reserving judgement a little on Gerrard, these aren't his players and he needs time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah **** those guys who kept us up and finished 11th last season in our best year in over a decade. The bastards. 

They were praised and rewarded at the time, is 11th the benchmark now? It’s where we are trying to get that is important, not where we’ve been. I certainly doubt that NSWE are looking at the last decade as any sort of blue print for the future. 

• Like 1

Personally if I was Gerrard, after the hairdryer treament, I would play Luiz and McGinn, and if I didn't see 110% I would drag them off after 20 and get Sanson and Chambers on, show emm he means business and won't put up with half arsed peformances.

He actually should have done this at half time against Newcastle, waiting till 70-75 again was far to late the way some were playing.

43 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

They were praised and rewarded at the time, is 11th the benchmark now? It’s where we are trying to get that is important, not where we’ve been. I certainly doubt that NSWE are looking at the last decade as any sort of blue print for the future. 

Seriously? Promotion, cup final, best pl finish in 10years, youth prospects best I've known, - just cleared £100m profit on a player who cost us nothing.  

Should Stevie G want a clear out - many outs will show a profit.

Things have been a damm site worse 

Â