Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

The media won't report Gerrard being a flop.  We will be called a crisis club that no one can manage.and poor Stevie G will be a victim of circumstance.

I don't accept that Hippo.....and I don't think he will be a flop.

Between the Owners (Inc Christian Purslow) and Steven Gerrard, they won't allow it to become a flop.....There is too much drive and determination in that group to allow that......However, they can't play on a matchday, they have to rely on the players.

Get someone to do something takes a bit longer than doing it yourself......right now, we ALL know we have hit choppy waters, and it will take time to navigate it.....We all need to keep our heads and fight through it, despite being pissed off by it.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't accept that Hippo.....and I don't think he will be a flop.

Between the Owners (Inc Christian Purslow) and Steven Gerrard, they won't allow it to become a flop.....There is too much drive and determination in that group to allow that......However, they can't play on a matchday, they have to rely on the players.

Get someone to do something takes a bit longer than doing it yourself......right now, we ALL know we have hit choppy waters, and it will take time to navigate it.....We all need to keep our heads and fight through it, despite being pissed off by it.

Fair enough.

Is your confidence based on what he did in Scotland ? - Or because he was a half decent player ?  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

Is your confidence based on what he did in Scotland ? - Or because he was a half decent player ?  

No,........but to say he was only a half decent player, is totally disingenous.....its like saying Pele had a bit of quality😀

Well, I have always rated his intrinsic nature to compete....much like our own Andy Gray.....when you have that level of competitive nature, you give yourself a chance.

I have recently read his book and all what I thought about him anyway....was confirmed to me.

I am not swayed, one way or the other, by his exploits in Scotland.....but I have to say, I was staggered by how quick Rangers came back from the abyss and in such swashbuckling fashion.

There are so many factors to test the best of managers and all those that are flying have been there some time.....so 3 months is like a "wet day" as they say.

I do happen to think Moyes, has done a great job in terms of the balance of that West ham Team, Albeit Rice is a huge factor in that balance...and yet he is going through a bit of a dip.

I think right now, he is going through a testing time, and it may well be, he needed it, to see for himself the true picture of our squad.....He will come through, this, when, I don't know......But I would back him all the way to find some sort of success, with us.

Pardoxically, I think Coutinho and Digne, may have made our balance a bit more detrimental, while at the same time being exceptionally good footballers.....That will be hard to accept, in some quarters, but I fancy, he knows this and will make his next move to help.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

No,........but to say he was only a half decent player, is totally disingenous.....its like saying Pele had a bit of quality😀

Well, I have always rated his intrinsic nature to compete....much like our own Andy Gray.....when you have that level of competitive nature, you give yourself a chance.

I have recently read his book and all what I thought about him anyway....was confirmed to me.

I am not swayed, one way or the other, by his exploits in Scotland.....but I have to say, I was staggered by how quick Rangers came back from the abyss and in such swashbuckling fashion.

There are so many factors to test the best of managers and all those that are flying have been there some time.....so 3 months is like a "wet day" as they say.

I do happen to think Moyes, has done a great job in terms of the balance of that West ham Team, Albeit Rice is a huge factor in that balance...and yet he is going through a bit of a dip.

I think right now, he is going through a testing time, and it may well be, he needed it, to see for himself the true picture of our squad.....He will come through, this, when, I don't know......But I would back him all the way to find some sort of success, with us.

Pardoxically, I think Coutinho and Digne, may have made our balance a bit more detrimental, while at the same time being exceptionally good footballers.....That will be hard to accept, in some quarters, but I fancy, he knows this and will make his next move to help.

So your confidence is based on whats written in a book - of which he is the author :) 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

So your confidence is based on whats written in a book - of which he is the author :) 

Failing to acknowledge my reference to his competive nature.....Oh I get it Hippo.

Create a headline and enter a " duck shoot"😂

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Failing to acknowledge my reference to his competive nature.....Oh I get it Hippo.

Create a headline and enter a " duck shoot"😂

I would say its a pretty safe bet that anyone currently managing in the PL has a competitive nature. Its more or less a pre requisite to get there. 

That alone won't make him a success at Villa.  Roy Keane and Graeme Souness were competitive. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would say its a pretty safe bet that anyone currently managing in the PL has a competitive nature. Its more or less a pre requisite to get there. 

That alone won't make him a success at Villa.  Roy Keane and Graeme Souness were competitive. 

You are there again, picking out odd comments and trying to make a story.

Pepe, is competive, so is Klopp, so is Tuchel....so its not a bad trait to have....one attribute, doesn't make a person.

and your point is what exactly?

SG is an up and coming Manager, with few trophies in management to convince you.....but Mourinho failed at United and Spurs, is he no good.

You don't rate him, never did, never will......so what is the point of our debate?

I think he will do well....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Pepe, is competive, so is Klopp, so is Tuchel....so its not a bad trait to have....one attribute, doesn't make a person.

SG is an up and coming Manager, with few trophies in management to convince you.....but Mourinho failed at United and Spurs, is he no good.

You don't rate him, never did, never will......so what is the point of our debate?

All I asked was why you had so much confidence him . Not an unreasonable question I wouldn't have thought ? 

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

I can think of 7 who are not renowned for their competitve nature.....They might be competitive and wise.....but not renowned for it like SG.

They say that the team mirrors the manager, and I believe that to be so......but right now, it doesn't.

Am I surprised, in 3 months........NO

Edited by TRO

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mourinho won more trophies at United than Gerrard did at Rangers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

No well ran clubs should bring in a similar style of manager and fit the players into the system. 

Bayern Munich when they get a new manager make sure that he fits the system. When Pep leaves City they will employ a similar possession based manager 

We were supposed to build similar so yes if we do need a rebuild then Purslow and Lange need to go

But then lets say you do that and actually the players are not good enough to take you to that next level? I am starting to think we wouldnt have finished as high as we did last year if fans were  there. 

Some of these players are going backwards so im all in favour of getting a fresh approach if it makes us better long term.

Prp wasnt the same kind of manager as mancini and pellgrini was he? Different styles.

Klopp isnt the same as rodgers either. 

I dont agree with sacking purslow or lange. That approach causes mothing but chaos behind the scenes and to be honest neithee deserves the sack so not quite sure shy you think they need to be sacked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But then lets say you do that and actually the players are not good enough to take you to that next level? I am starting to think we wouldnt have finished as high as we did last year if fans were  there. 

Some of these players are going backwards so im all in favour of getting a fresh approach if it makes us better long term.

Prp wasnt the same kind of manager as mancini and pellgrini was he? Different styles.

Klopp isnt the same as rodgers either. 

I dont agree with sacking purslow or lange. That approach causes mothing but chaos behind the scenes and to be honest neithee deserves the sack so not quite sure shy you think they need to be sacked.

Well Lange is in charge of recruitment, and if has spent millions on rubbish players he should be sacked like Pitarch was before him.

Just now, Zatman said:

He got the highest United points total since Ferguson 

Yes to be fair he didnt do that badly at Man U but doesnt last more than a couple of years in any job. I'd sooner have a sticker like Klopp or Pep. Hopefully Gerrard is around a bit longer. But its early days fro him in management but he was a success at rangers as he stopped Celtic from getting 10 in a row.  

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mourinho won more trophies at United than Gerrard did at Rangers

Your comparing a manager who has been in the game for tens years plus at top pevel football to a manager thats only been managing less than 5 years. Whats next you gonna compare lampard to klopp?

Thats a very unfair comparison 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your comparing a manager who has been in the game for tens years plus at top pevel football to a manager thats only been managing less than 5 years. Whats next you gonna compare lampard to klopp?

Thats a very unfair comparison 

I didn’t start the comparison. The comment was Mourinho failed at United but won more trophies in a nore competitive environment than Gerrard did at Rangers 

Mourinho faced Pep, Klopp, Conte not Neil Lennon

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm getting frustrated with the fact that a couple of posters with their own agendas make threads like this an unpleasant read.

I've already given up joining in the Match Day thread 'chats' because a handful of posters make it such a toxic unenjoyable experience.

I've enjoyed browsing VT for many years on a daily basis, but I'm going to have to back off as it's no longer an enjoyable place to be or inducive to managing stress levels.

I know there is an "ignore button" but the regularity with which these 'anti' posts pop up means that a thread becomes totally disjointed if I use the ignore facility.

May be it's just me getting old and out of touch, but when did supporting your club with patience and common civility, and discussing your concerns reasonably become out dated? When did 'fans' decide that, insults, continual disparagement and regular vitriol were the way to support a team?

I think your reading something that isn't there. Certainly today I've not seen any name calling etc. Just the pros + cons of Stevie G. Healthy and reasonable debate imo.

19 hours ago, hippo said:

Seriously? Promotion, cup final, best pl finish in 10years, youth prospects best I've known, - just cleared £100m profit on a player who cost us nothing.  

Should Stevie G want a clear out - many outs will show a profit.

Things have been a damm site worse 

All the above is true and you’re right things have been a lot worse. My point is though that I think that NSWE and co will be settling their sights higher than 11th. We have built a good foundation. Dean and the players who have been here during the NSWE ownership are very much part of that building process and for that we should be grateful, but progress must continue. Standing still just doesn’t happen, we’re either going backwards or forwards. Hopefully the latter. 

• Like 1

Â