Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we need a new RB, possibly a new CB, a DM, a MC & a striker (depending on whether Ings can replace Watkins or not), so the way it looks, a new striker.

so 5 players imo.

That's easily £100+ if you are buying starting 11 quality. Cheaper to replace the manager at that point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Vintage VT. Now Smith is becoming a great manager again. Check the results of his last calendar year and watch the last 5 games before he was sacked and if you dont think it was the right decision after doing that then football probably isn't for you.

Yep. This is what gets me. Gerrard is rightly coming under a lot of scrutiny for his tactics and the way we're playing but suddenly history is being rewritten and the sacking of Smith is being made out to be this catastrophic error.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he's straight up said he's going to make changes, so let's see.

BUT ( In his voice ), he could and should have made earlier and more effective changes in the actual match today.

Did he actually say that ? or is that your opinion ?

6 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

At least he doesn’t give them any excuses. His comments after the game give me confidence he’ll sort it.. but he needs a little bit of time!!

He may need time to implement this particular system, but I still believe we should look better by now. He's had the same amount of time as Eddie Howe!

Edit - fwiw I do agree he needs time and I wouldn't expect his job to be in any danger unless we're still shit next season. 

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Gerrard did not look happy.

Interviewer - "what will you look to do, to improve the situation after this performance?"

Gerrard - "i will make changes, i need to impose myself on the team, we will push them even harder"

let's hope he does, if Watkins & McGinn start the next game, i will wonder what is going on behind the scenes tbh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

That's midtable form. And that is where we will finish this season. Whether that is good enough for the owners you would have to ask them. 

There is a lot of traffic to overhaul if we want to be a top 10 side again. You have the scum 6 which will soon be 7 with Newcastle, plus West Ham and Wolves. And Leicester might be stronger next year, plus a random having a good season.

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Vintage VT. Now Smith is becoming a great manager again. Check the results of his last calendar year and watch the last 5 games before he was sacked and if you dont think it was the right decision after doing that then football probably isn't for you.

Don't disagree, not sure Gerrard is an upgrade though.... and I'm concerned Purslow will throw millions at this experiment to force it to work. If it doesn't it'll take years and even more money to point things in the right direction again.

Here's my issue, we've just played two teams that were below us in the table and got one point, and only really looked good for 20 mins of the first game. Leeds had a mountain of injuries and Newcastle had to replace both full backs, and had a center half who was playing his first game. It's not just the result, it's the tactics and performances. Today was devoid of ideas. I expect more.

Steven thinks it's an effort thing. Honestly I don't see that. No amount of effort or try hard is going to turn Cash into a successful PL wide player. Or make McGinn pay close attention to his defensive duties. Or help Buendia or Coutinho win a hoofed clearance from Emi or Mings. 

• Like 1

McGinn is the one I'm singling out. I'm fed up with him. Get's away with his poor performances when Luiz and Mings are never allowed play badly without being called out. 

Chukwuemeka, Sanson and Ings need to start the next game. Bailey is a fraud imo and he'll turn out to be the biggest waste of money we've seen at the club so I don't want him given minutes. 

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yep. This is what gets me. Gerrard is rightly coming under a lot of scrutiny for his tactics and the way we're playing but suddenly history is being rewritten and the sacking of Smith is being made out to be this catastrophic error.

No one is saying it was a catastrophic error, just suggesting that it wasn’t the big important switch that would suddenly improve everything as was being suggested at the time.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

McGinn is the one I'm singling out. I'm fed up with him. Get's away with his poor performances when Luiz and Mings are never allowed play badly without being called out. 

Chukwuemeka, Sanson and Ings need to start the next game. Bailey is a fraud imo and he'll turn out to be the biggest waste of money we've seen at the club so I don't want him given minutes. 

Ziggy plays guitar 

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yep. Especially when seasoned Champions League managers like Favre were there and available is quite something. 

"Seasoned Champions League managers" 🤣

The same Favre who hasnt won a trophy of note in 15 years? That guy? What about Conte? We would have loved to have gotten him and look how rubbish Spurs are?

Whoever we appointed, Villa fans would get on his back as soon as a couple of bad results came in, just like we're seeing here with Gerrard. "Smith needed more time" yet the same fans havent given Gerrard half a season before writing him off.

The change from Smith was needed, but only if it has the desired effect. I think a few are making out things were much worse than they were and ignore a lot of factors. 

I'm saying this as someone excited by the potential Gerrard brings, but he has to live up to that. 

Games like the last few don't help build the confidence in what's to come. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

At least he doesn’t give them any excuses. His comments after the game give me confidence he’ll sort it.. but he needs a little bit of time!!

Was thinking this, he tells it how it is which I like, but he can't keep coming out with comments like that, so he needs to start getting performances out of this team, an fast. If he don't start by dropping Watkins, I'll be losing  my faith already.

We need to get that yard of pace back. We look unbeatable when we play with pace, lately we are just looking lethargic and devoid of a winning mentality, something I thought Gerrard would change.

Â