Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, WHY said:

Just read an interview where Gerrard said a few players haven’t bought into the new regime. Interesting that he mentioned it though. It’s not the type of thing a manager usually says.

I interpreted this as they are yet to trust themselves/believe that they can achieve the things hai team are telling them they can. Anyone who has been part of evolving/changing a work culture will know some buy in faster than others. Sometimes the people who take longer might be the biggest champions once they get there.

• Like 2

I was surprised we started Ramsey today I would have thought JPB or AEG would have started.

I’d also start Carney over Ramsey too, he obviously has a higher ceiling.

Having said that I’m delighted with the points, especially as they seemed to have 12 men on the pitch!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I was surprised we started Ramsey today I would have thought JPB or AEG would have started.

I’d also start Carney over Ramsey too, he obviously has a higher ceiling.

Having said that I’m delighted with the points, especially as they seemed to have 12 men on the pitch!

Carney didn't earn a start from City cameo. Was very standoffish. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think he was suggesting people were kicking up a fuss.

I simply took it to me that they were asking players to play in different ways, to adapt their games to how they want to play and that they perhaps weren't fully convinced yet. I don't think that is that unusual or concerning following a change of manager, I'd say it is fairly common in fact new managers need results to demonstrate their way works. The Gerrard name would have been good only so long, probably until the first training session.

Still would love to know who he’s talking about though as it comes across like a few first teamers. Unless, he’s playing complete mind games with them to not let them get complacent as he, quite rightly, was distinctly unimpressed with the first half.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Heres the full interview they showed bits from pre game yesterday

That's a good interview, he's intelligently guarded with how much he's saying but he gives enough of an insight to understand what he's about and what he wants to achieve here. Exciting stuff really.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Still would love to know who he’s talking about though as it comes across like a few first teamers. Unless, he’s playing complete mind games with them to not let them get complacent as he, quite rightly, was distinctly unimpressed with the first half.

Surely it's Chukwumeka. It makes sense after what he said after the City game (I think he pretty much confirmed the rumours of Chuk rejecting the contract). 

• Like 1

As I said on the 9th November when he was being linked......

Are the doubters having him yet??

I might be completely wrong on this view, time will tell but I think Steven Gerrard is exactly what Villa need at the moment

''Its a farmers league'' He's done well across Europe as well as domestically and if you pull apart most of the others mentioned you could find arguments against the leagues they have managed

''No PL experience'' Seriously ? He's worked under top managers playing at the top end of PL football for years as well as internationally 

''Its only Rangers'' Lets not beat around things here, Rangers are a huge club supported across the world with huge pressures to perform domestically, get back above Celtic and perform in Europe and in the main he has taken all of that onboard in his first job

''Lets get manager x/y/z from the latest hipster team'' It may work of course but its a huge risk on the run that we are on at this stage of the season, Gerrard with Mcallister will know what they are coming into

''He will go and take the Liverpool job'' Only if hes successful and if he does? That's life, lets worry about that when it comes

Gerrard will give this everything, this will be a massive move for him and perfect job for his profile - If you can manage the expectations at Villa then you have done better than most

• Like 1

Just saw his post match interview. I love how he is just starting to ignore any lame questions and talks about what he wants to talk about to the fans instead about how we can improve and what he sees. I really like his style. No nonsense, direct and focused. Sure it maybe a new manager bounce but its not a bad one.

• Like 1

I certainly was someone who expressed doubts about Gerrard, mainly due to his inexperience. So far so good though, so I'm happy. Obviously there will be bumps in the road and it's when that happens, and how Gerrard reacts, that we will get a fuller picture. Hopefully all good though 👍 

10 minutes ago, picicata said:

I certainly was someone who expressed doubts about Gerrard, mainly due to his inexperience. So far so good though, so I'm happy. Obviously there will be bumps in the road and it's when that happens, and how Gerrard reacts, that we will get a fuller picture. Hopefully all good though 👍 

I'm still dreading Liverpool, not because of Gerrard connection, but because of the form they are in.

I'm just wondering how people will react if we get a hiding. Will the petty digs about connection etc start coming out?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm still dreading Liverpool, not because of Gerrard connection, but because of the form they are in.

I'm just wondering how people will react if we get a hiding. Will the petty digs about connection etc start coming out?

Fair question. 

If we get beat like against Man City I would have no complaints. Even a hiding wouldnt really sour me tbh given where each team, manager and club are in their projects right now.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Probably but most fans know it’s a free hit. We must beat Norwich and Burnley after that. If we do we’ll have gone from close to the bottom 3 now looking at top 6 ! 

Amazing how quick things can judge.

edit: I also think Gerrard will be desperate to get something from the Liverpool game.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, picicata said:

Hopefully puts to bed this lack of experience non sense. 

Experience is the most overrated concept in sport. 

Either you're good or you're not. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably but most fans know it’s a free hit. We must beat Norwich and Burnley after that. If we do we’ll have gone from close to the bottom 3 now looking at top 6 ! 

Amazing how quick things can judge.

edit: I also think Gerrard will be desperate to get something from the Liverpool game.

Free hits doesn't exist in competltive sport. Gerrard for sure won't put that mindset into his players. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hopefully puts to bed this lack of experience non sense. 

Experience is the most overrated concept in sport. 

Either you're good or you're not. 

Experience is a pretty accurate indicator demonstrating if someone is good or not, wouldn't you say?

The less experience means the appointment has greater risk.

Surely this is fairly obvious stuff??

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Free hits doesn't exist in competltive sport. Gerrard for sure won't put that mindset into his players. 

If anything, he'll probably point out the fact we very recently slapped the everloving crap out of them, so there's no reason to go in thinking a result is impossible.

Â