Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The media are obsessed with these stories. I think it's unlikely they were drinking and eating shite beforehand, the media just love this iron fist type story.

So are the fans it seems. It’s a nothing story really but I am surprised they served shit food in a training camp restaurant if they did at all.

• Like 2

I find the whole coverage of the diet stuff really odd, what is the media obsession with ketchup?

All of this has come from a throwaway answer Gerrard gave to some 'journalist' who thought it would be incredibly smart to ask if he was going to ban ketchup like Conte. After pausing to process why any 'journalist' would ask something so daft, he dodged the question by saying that his staff had already put his rules on diet in place before he'd even met any players or something to that effect.

I'd be amazed if both Spurs and Villa haven't had strict dietary rules in place for years and are only occasionally tweaked when a new manager comes in or new data appears that suggests a change is necessary. It's just so depressing that most of the British media appear to be stuck in the 70's and trying to drag younger generations down to their level.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Personally, I don't want another manager as a Villa Fan, I want a manager who wins more games than he loses.....We can then judge him on that, without any emotional attachment.

Dean Smith, had good stuff and not so good stuff, like most managers, only the elite, have more good than not so good.

SG might be inexperienced, but the things that I see in him, trump that at the moment and experience will come in time.

I am clear what I can see in SG.....If others have to wait and see first hand, thats fine by me....but I don't see why, we should have to keep explaining ourselves only to be shot down, by a lack of evidence.

Only wins will convince the whole fanbase,( and it is the holy grail granted) but in the meantime, let us who believe in him, up front, have the freedom to do so, without being chastised for it.

Winning is what its all about, and they will all survive or die by that....it can be made a spectacle, when the foundations are in place and we are winning games.

The Villa fan stuff is overblown imo. It was a nice bonus, but nothing more. It's only natural to want to be convinced by a track record or achievements before he joined. Like you said, wins will go a long way in convincing people. Again, it's natural for anyone who is invested in good faith (as we all should be, this is Aston Villa!).

My issue is some people (not you!) who were against Smith's appointment from the beginning for similar reasons to why people were against Gerrard's appointment latching onto and getting ultra defensive about the new manager simply because he's not the old manager (and not because of anything he particularly did), and further still having the nerve projecting their own stubbornness in coming around on the manager on others...after just 1 game. The jury's still out but almost everyone is happy right now. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I find the whole coverage of the diet stuff really odd, what is the media obsession with ketchup?

All of this has come from a throwaway answer Gerrard gave to some 'journalist' who thought it would be incredibly smart to ask if he was going to ban ketchup like Conte. After pausing to process why any 'journalist' would ask something so daft, he dodged the question by saying that his staff had already put his rules on diet in place before he'd even met any players or something to that effect.

I'd be amazed if both Spurs and Villa haven't had strict dietary rules in place for years and are only occasionally tweaked when a new manager comes in or new data appears that suggests a change is necessary. It's just so depressing that most of British media appear to be stuck in the 70's and trying to drag younger generations down to their level.

Well that's what the media attention will be like now - lots of inane stuff like that because he's a very high profile person and the British sporting media is heavily Liverpool biased. 

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well that's what the media attention will be like now - lots of inane stuff like that because he's a very high profile person and the British sporting media is heavily Liverpool biased. 

I'm not sure this is just because it's Steven Gerrard, because it was a thing with Conte when he came in at Spurs as well, and I'm pretty sure it was thing with Capello when he was England manager. It seems to be a go to question for any manager seen to be a disciplinarian. Such a weird thing to focus on and recycle. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was tipped to make it until I discovered Ketchup. 

Its obvious when you think about it.....If a ball is knocked past you and you can't, ketch up.....you're not much use to anyone.

Hence get rid of Ketchup, meaning don't let him beat you in the first place.....No more Ketchup.😜

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Polish TV showed an interview where Cash speaks with a Polish team chef and he said he eats literally anything.

So maybe Villa wasn't that strict on diet before Gerrard. 

From The Athletic article on Cash and Poland:

Food was initially a concern. Cash has a personal chef in England and sticks to a carefully structured diet, but there was no need for any special requests. If anything, he liked what was on offer — often a wide selection of cold meats, lentils, other sources of protein and fresh fruit  — even more.

Whether it was the nutritional boost or just a general enthusiasm that helped him impress during the week is open to discussion. What does not need to be debated was the quality he showed in training, especially his first session, that Sousa described as “really fantastic”.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The Villa fan stuff is overblown imo. It was a nice bonus, but nothing more. It's only natural to want to be convinced by a track record or achievements before he joined. Like you said, wins will go a long way in convincing people. Again, it's natural for anyone who is invested in good faith (as we all should be, this is Aston Villa!).

My issue is some people (not you!) who were against Smith's appointment from the beginning for similar reasons to why people were against Gerrard's appointment latching onto and getting ultra defensive about the new manager simply because he's not the old manager (and not because of anything he particularly did), and further still having the nerve projecting their own stubbornness in coming around on the manager on others...after just 1 game. The jury's still out but almost everyone is happy right now. 

Better the devil you know

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

To be honest, I have backed every manager we have appointed, until I have seen the direction of travel.....and even then, I do not boo our people during a match....only refs.

For me, its all about winning, and improvement.....that determines the longevity of the manager, who ever he is.

Reasonable and fair as usual. Keep being you @TRO

• Thanks 1

On the diet I think it's been rarely obvious for a long time that the conditioning of our players has been pretty woeful.

I don't think it is the press making a big deal out of it. I bet Gerrard was genuinely astounded what was going on in a PL team in 2021 regards to diet strength and conditioning.

You'd regularly see our players blowing out of their arsehole this season after a sprint.

• Like 2

Â