The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

34 minutes ago, peterw said:

I've never had an ITK and don't really take much of this but this sent to me by a mate - I work in Delhi, he in Belgrade both at High Commissions/Embassy (for context) - his message thus:

Pal of mine working for Scot Govt who has close ties to the Rangers board reckons that Gerrard's reps, Rangers and Villa met last night. £7m compo on the table. Pretty much a done deal according to my mate. Only things left to negotiate is who Gerrard takes with him form the backroom and not leave Rangers too exposed without any first team coaches. Apparently...thought I'd share.

Seems a lot of compo for a manager, but £7m gets you a Libor Kozak, so compared to that it’s not so bad. It would be imperative that we get his back room coaches too though. Paying all that compo and only getting Gerrard would not be it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Seems a lot of compo for a manager, but £7m gets you a Libor Kozak, so compared to that it’s not so bad. It would be imperative that we get his back room coaches too though. Paying all that compo and only getting Gerrard would not be it. 

Rodgers only cost 6 million 

• Like 1

Lee Hendrie makes me cringe anyway but when interviewed yesterday about Gerrard he referred to him as Stevie G.  Gerrard is ambitious and doesn’t seem to shy away from big jobs. If he does come to us he’s coming for one reason and that’s to try and make us successful and because it’s a big job, too big to turn down.  The Rangers job was a brave decision. He’s also a scrapper and will harden us up hopefully. 

• Like 1

Just now, imavillan said:

Every new manager has to cut his teeth somewhere and has to be given a chance and from what i've seen he seems to be doing alright for himself.

This is my main issue with what you said..

18 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

What about Bailey? He is probably better all them!

He isn't. He does absolutely nothing without the ball. That's not acceptable in the Premier League. He's an impact sub at best at the moment until he learns to defend and press

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Did you see the fee for Nagelsmann? You'd get a few Libor Kozaks for that fee, and maybe a Libor Kozak after his injury thrown in as well.

Clubs are finally beginning to realise the importance of managers (good ones at least) and are seeking to be compensated accordingly. It makes sense really when you look at the fees for the transfer of players that mangers also cost the pursuing club a fee. It's called compensation for managers but a transfer fee for players. Essentially it's the same thing. You're buying an asset from another club. If that asset is worth more to the club then you've got to cough up the cash.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Not been posting much of late but i'll put this out there and then get back under my stone.

I really don't get all the negativity over Gerrard being the next Villa manager and the 'he's only ever managed in Scotland and anyone can do what he's done''

Every new manager has to cut his teeth somewhere and has to be given a chance and from what i've seen he seems to be doing alright for himself.

He has a winning mentality and will have a burning desire and a hunger to succeed. He has continued this mentality into management from his playing days.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble, even the so called 'experienced one's. Ancolleti, Mourinho and more have failed at various clubs.

Many on here would take Potter, but would they have taken him from Swansea, like Brighton did, with the credentials he had at the time? Low level playing career, managing in Sweden and then one season at Swansea. I doubt it very much, but look at how highly rated he is now.

The same can happen with Gerrard. The club will surely invest in him when the January window comes round and with him being a midfield it will not take him long to see our shortcomings which was part of Deans downfall.

Yes it will be a gamble, but i think it will be a calculated gamble and with the right backing he can push us up to the next level where Dean couldn't and surely that's what we all want. 

You are correct.

Every new manager has to cut his teeth somewhere...........

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Lee Hendrie makes me cringe anyway but when interviewed yesterday about Gerrard he referred to him as Stevie G.  Gerrard is ambitious and doesn’t seem to shy away from big jobs. If he does come to us he’s coming for one reason and that’s to try and make us successful and because it’s a big job, too big to turn down.  The Rangers job was a brave decision. He’s also a scrapper and will harden us up hopefully. 

Agbonlahor  was the same on Talksport. Is it any wonder Gerrard walked all over us twice a season for about 20 years when these guys are in such reverence of him.

• Like 1