The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good question. I know there was a outrage at them being able to takeover Newcastle but beyond that I have no idea. Money talks I guess. 

Maybe Gerrard turned them down for ethical reasons and he’s not the scumbag people seem to be making him out to be.

Yeah, I'm wondering if Newcastle are finding it hard for people to be interested in working for them because of political reasons, which might not affect other clubs.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In all seriousness, and I promise I’m going to stop droning on now, my perception of Gerrard has never been that he’s a word removed. It is that he’s a consummate professional, a grafter, a born winner and a natural leader, on and off the pitch. He was always the guy that everyone who went to Liverpool Football Club looked at and thought I better buck up my ideas here because I do not want to let that fella down. 

I don't know precisely how I've managed to pick up such a different impression of him to everyone else here, I'm sure most of you consume as much or more football media as me, or how much it even matters when it comes to whether he's a success or not, but this is probably why I'm finding myself defending him. Out of sheer confusion as much as anything. 

This still isn't a ringing endorsement by the way, I just hope when the time comes we give him time. 

Not everyone. The only thing that I didnt like was the punch in the bar but we all have our breaking point I guess

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In all seriousness, and I promise I’m going to stop droning on now, my perception of Gerrard has never been that he’s a word removed. It is that he’s a consummate professional, a grafter, a born winner and a natural leader, on and off the pitch. He was always the guy that everyone who went to Liverpool Football Club looked at and thought I better buck up my ideas here because I do not want to let that fella down. 

I don't know precisely how I've managed to pick up such a different impression of him to everyone else here, I'm sure most of you consume as much or more football media as me, or how much it even matters when it comes to whether he's a success or not, but this is probably why I'm finding myself defending him. Out of sheer confusion as much as anything. 

This still isn't a ringing endorsement by the way, I just hope when the time comes we give him time. 

Same here.  As far as I’m aware he was never on social media, out clubbing popping bottles  etc. Had a boring haircut; no tattoos, didn’t wear crazy outfits. if anything he came across quite boring 

There was that one incident about a fight but apart from that I can’t think of anything else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I can think of few things I could care less about than which political party Smith (or indeed Gerrard) supports.

Exactly. So why is Gerrard a word removed for getting into a scrap at a wedding like literally every other human being that has ever lived? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LockStockVilla said:

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I become with the prospect of Gerrard.

For starters, our current group of players seem to be rock bottom in terms of confidence. Just look at the Targett interview after the Southampton match and it’s so clear to see. These players need a kick up the back side, but also someone who demands their respect and who can help get that belief back. I think Gerrard brings this, whereas I think a lot of these other names thrown around like Favre, Fonseca, etc. wouldn’t really form the connection needed with the players. 

This is exactly my thinking too. I like that he has a nasty streak because, frankly, it's about time we got somebody in who'll light a fire under them. Villa have been too nice for too long.

Premier League experience isn't everything. There are quite a few managers without prior Premier League experience currently in the Prem and they are doing just fine. Look at other former players from around Europe who've managed big clubs with no prior big league management experience: Zidane, Pep, some bloke called Alex Ferguson, and if you want to say they all succeeded because they joined massive clubs, you can throw in Graham Potter.

Gerrard has done a great job at Rangers (with extremely limited resources to attract players, including an unfashionable league) and knocked Celtic off their perch which, in that league, is no easy feat.

I also think a lot of central midfielders would like to play/develop under his management and, given this is a massive problem area for us, it could boost our transfer options and he'd be able to diagnose where our current players are going wrong, possibly coaching them out of it.

I'd take him over Roberto Martinez every day of the week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

A post, I wished I had compiled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't like him, but I hope if the time comes we give him time.

We will.

John Terry was mostly disliked until he joined (and seemingly did well).  Gerrard will be similar, although maybe some "meh" at the appointment, should it happen.

• Like 1

How long before the Gerrard out gang start up on here ? Anything short of European qualifying form in the first 6 matches and the knives will be out and we will back to where we were last week with Dean on here. I actually think it is impossible to find a manager who would be universally accepted. Ten Haag is the dream of many, but it’s only that, we are not that attractive to foreign managers having a run in the Champions League, despite the fact we won in 1982. Whoever it is there is going to be disappointment.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Same here.  As far as I’m aware he was never on social media, out clubbing popping bottles  etc. Had a boring haircut; no tattoos, didn’t wear crazy outfits. if anything he came across quite boring 

There was that one incident about a fight but apart from that I can’t think of anything else. 

Oh he has been to nightclubs 😉

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its a good shout, but wouldn't come....I think Sean is in a comfort zone and wants to stay there...nothing wrong with that, but no good for us.

Stevie G is a gamble, like any manager is....but he has the energy, drive and steely determination, to go after the big boys....he wants to mix it at the elite level, you can see it in him....I want a manager, we have trouble hanging on to, but we cross that bridge, when it comes.

I say let him have a go, "shoot for the moon and we may touch the stars"

That’s a fair point. Lot of Villa fans getting their knickers in a twist about Gerrard having one eye on Liverpool. So bloody what. I’ll reiterate as I’ve said to a few mates, he doesn’t get close to the Liverpool gig if he doesn’t do well at Villa.

• Like 2

Just now, smg said:

How long before the Gerrard out gang start up on here ? Anything short of European qualifying form in the first 6 matches and the knives will be out and we will back to where we were last week with Dean on here. I actually think it is impossible to find a manager who would be universally accepted. Ten Haag is the dream of many, but it’s only that, we are not that attractive to foreign managers having a run in the Champions League, despite the fact we won in 1982. Whoever it is there is going to be disappointment.

All I know is that based on our history of revisionism on here, our collective perception of Dean Smiths ability as a manager is going to rise from this point forward

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1