The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

So we sacked Smith for someone that has been a manager since 2018?

That does not scream out to me as Ambition.

I would be extremely disappointed with the board if they appoint him.

Pep Guardiola had won the CL, La Liga twice, Copa del Rey once, Supacopa, UEFA Supercup and the club world cup within his first 3 years of management. 

If he's good enough, he's good enough. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i'll throw it out there and you can see if it makes any kind of difference statistically - we also havent replaced barkley from those opening 14 games...he looked like everything we needed until he got injured, conversely he was then a big reason as to why we were so poor towards the end of the season, his individual drop off had a huge impact on the team

We were marginally worse without Barkley in 2021 that with him. His replacements in side were Ramsey making first few starts, Sanson unfit and first few games for us, or Nakamba with switch in midfield, until last two games when Grealish came back in at 10 and we won both games. When missing both Grealish and Barkley, we were 0.89pgg across 9 games.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

ESR would have been a big signing for us and its easy to see why we wanted him, Buendia on the other hand doesnt seem to fit anywhere at the moment, us wanting both suggests that Buendia was never meant for the 10 role, almost like between Buendia and Ings we havent got that player right

Buendia has played predominantly from the right side prior to joining us. He's been moved about equally between the right and the centre for us, probably more due to availability of other players and the formation switch that led to than anything else. His goal/assist output is ok so far when playing on the right for us. Also don't think he's fully fit yet, see him cramping up on 70mins vs saints.

• Like 1

I can already picture the pre match press questions “Stevie, Bailey has been out for 2 months and you’ve been saying he’s touch and go every press conference for the last month, will he be fit for Saturday?” 

Steven Gerrard:

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Pep Guardiola had won the CL, La Liga twice, Copa del Rey once, Supacopa, UEFA Supercup and the club world cup within his first 3 years of management. 

If he's good enough, he's good enough. 

yeah exactly. we've all had the pleasure of working with people with plenty of experience that still aren't star performers. Steve Bruce has tons of experience. So does Big Sam. it's an overrated metric imo.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Same. Couple of things that bother me are that, we already know well in advance that as soon as a better offer comes in (Liverpool), then he is 100% off. (Providing he is successful with us). I know that can happen with any top manager we get as well, but this is so much more blatantly obvious. 

The second thing is that it’s not a ‘big name’ in the management world, yet. I thought we would show some real ambition and get a renowned superstar manager this time round. There’s an element of risk with Gerrard as he is still relatively unproven. 

The good thing is neither of these have any bearing on whether he'll be a good manager.

• Like 2

is today the day!?

What i do find weird is the reports of "we will contact Gerrard this week", i mean, if he were one of our key targets, im sure we would have spoken to him asap after Deano was sacked, or even before......

"contact [insert manager] this week".......whut.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

This is the best argument for him I've read.

I hate the fact though that the liverscum pundits on tv know he's currently in a mickey mouse league and they want him down asap just to find out if he can cut it at this level, Villa would just be his audition, if he does well, we have to start all over again, if he doesn't were still struggling. 

Sick of taking Liverpool drose down the years and now blooding Gerard for them.  Him and them can do one.  We’re better than that.  Should be exactly why we don’t touch him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Tim Sherwood 2.0 for me. They call him 'Mr Let's Go' in Scotland.

Unpopular opinion but I actually loved Tim Sherwood 🤣.

I also wanted Thierry Henry and Martinez when he was at Wigan, so my posts regarding Managers should probably be ignored for the most part.

My thinking re Gerrard is that, being the player he was, he wouldn't accept anything less than 110 percent from the players. Wouldn't be scared to drop or confront players. He's not a " Superstar " in the Management world, but he's a " name/star " in the footballing world, and I could see him commanding respect, and possibly attracting players?

I'm wondering if Deano Achilles heels was being " too nice ", and ultimately, it's a " character " and mentality they are looking for, which will simply slot into the already available " system ". In McAllister after he also has someone who knows the club.

FYI, Gerrard is in no way my first choice, I've just been thinking it through, because that's where the reports seem to be heading .

Also, I'm not convinced that Liverpool will want Gerrard, as much as he wants Liverpool, and for that to be the case, as many have said, he will have had to have done brilliantly here. ( I also think this narrative is probably more driven my the Media, than Gerrard himself )

Personally, i would throw big money at someone like Ten Hag, I also like Gautier, and he was linked before. I really don't know much about Managers outside of England otherwise if I'm honest.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

I can already picture the pre match press questions “Stevie, Bailey has been out for 2 months and you’ve been saying he’s touch and go every press conference for the last month, will he be fit for Saturday?” 

Steven Gerrard:

Nearly threw  My phone out the window listening to that

14 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

That's a bad argument for me, cut Xavi and see what colour his blood runs, he's more like us getting Deano in for me.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Pep Guardiola. 

What them being 'fans' have to do with their ability to manage the team, is beyond my comprehension. 'Getting' a club is a different thing and has it's benefits for sure, but as long as the new manager gets football clubs generally I don't think it matters. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

So Potter grew up a Villa fan yet got his break with Birmingham. So he has a liking for both, which is understandable. 

What's key is all Potters family and friends are Villa fans so all this might help if we do go after him. 

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Going back to last season results aside for a minute in the first half the season we gave every team a game even when we lost. It’s only the Leeds one that I remember we were poor in. After the covid situation I’m struggling to remember too many games that really impressed. Grealish really was massive for us.

Just going on xg, Spurs win looked fair (obvs Grealish was back for that). WBA, Sheff U, Leicester, Burnley were games we perhaps should have won and didn't (all defeats except WBA). On the flip side looks like Wolves and Brighton were draws we could have easily lost and some of the wins look tight.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I also wanted Thierry Henry and Martinez when he was at Wigan, so my posts regarding Managers should probably be ignored for the most part.

My thinking re Gerrard is that, being the player he was, he wouldn't accept anything less than 110 percent from the players. Wouldn't be scared to drop or confront players. He's not a " Superstar " in the Management world, but he's a " name/star " in the footballing world, and I could see him commanding respect, and possibly attracting players?

I'm wondering if Deano Achilles heels was being " too nice ", and ultimately, it's a " character " and mentality they are looking for, which will simply slot into the already available " system ". In McAllister after he also has someone who knows the club.

FYI, Gerrard is in no way my first choice, I've just been thinking it through, because that's where the reports seem to be heading .

Also, I'm not convinced that Liverpool will want Gerrard, as much as he wants Liverpool, and for that to be the case, as many have said, he will have had to have done brilliantly here. ( I also think this narrative is probably more driven my the Media, than Gerrard himself )

Personally, i would throw big money at someone like Ten Hag, I also like Gautier, and he was linked before. I really don't know much about Managers outside of England otherwise if I'm honest.

but neither of them have any PL experience ;)

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So Potter grew up a Villa fan yet got his break with Birmingham. So he has a liking for both, which is understandable. 

What's key is all Potters family and friends are Villa fans so all this might help if we do go after him. 

I suspect Gerrard would be far cheaper and easier to get from Rangers than Brighton.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I see this from time to time.

Why? I can see literally zero reason to have any thoughts about him other than complete contempt, let alone loving him.

It's like those people robbed of their life savings by a con man yet still convinced he's basically all above board and basically a nice guy even though he's completely disappeared with their money.

• Like 1

Whoever we get in is a risky appointment.  That's the nature of the beast.

For some reason, it's exciting to bring in young players who have done well elsewhere (Bailey) but the same excitement doesn't seem to exist with young managers who have done well (Gerrard) unless they're already at big clubs.  Quite strange, no?

The board will identify whoever they think is best suited to the role.  Whoever that is we will get behind and I don't really think it matters whether they have PL experience or have been a manager since 2000.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Just going on xg, Spurs win looked fair (obvs Grealish was back for that). WBA, Sheff U, Leicester, Burnley were games we perhaps should have won and didn't (all defeats except WBA). On the flip side looks like Wolves and Brighton were draws we could have easily lost and some of the wins look tight.

Losing that Burnley away game last season still annoys me.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is today the day!?

What i do find weird is the reports of "we will contact Gerrard this week", i mean, if he were one of our key targets, im sure we would have spoken to him asap after Deano was sacked, or even before......

"contact [insert manager] this week".......whut.

You can guarantee that if it's him, it was wrapped up on a WhatsApp between him and Purslow already lol.

We are just doing the " keeping up appearances " professionalism thing.

• Like 1