The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

41 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Billy McNeill, springs to mind. Wonderful for Celtic, woeful once he crossed the border. 

Thanks Sheepy, I had erased him and that season but the memories are flooding back and not in good way 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i know?

he's still part of the coaching team and has input with tactics. you see him stood up chatting to deano during games. think they're chatting about goalkeeping?

No you're right, we've suddenly got one of the best keepers in the world who has said how happy he is with Cutler but we should get rid of him and rock the boat of the one good thing on the pitch because there's a possibility he gave opinions to Dean not about Goalkeeping and that ruined the overall team performance.

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

RH - 36.22% win rate and has lost 2 games 9-0. I don't see why we'd want to pay compensation for him.
Potter - 28.3% win rate at Brighton. Sure, Brighton aren't a great team, but that's still very low. 

I wouldn't say either have proven themselves at this level, certainly no more than Smith. 

The biggest signing Southampton have made in the last 3 seasons is Danny Ings (£20m) and they lost him this summer anyway. Dean Smith has £200m of talent + Jack Grealish.

Sure, Southampton had bad runs in that time - but RH clearly turned it around.

Again, we’ve massively outspent Brighton.  It’s not apples to apples. They both set-up their teams to play attractive but competitive football.

I don’t think either manager will be the second coming - but either would be a smart appointment. Rather that than take a risk on an unknown like Terry/ Gerrard and get relegated. 

Edited by Cizzler

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

No you're right, we've suddenly got one of the best keepers in the world who has said how happy he is with Cutler but we should get rid of him and rock the boat of the one good thing on the pitch because there's a possibility he gave opinions to Dean not about Goalkeeping and that ruined the overall team performance.

LOL martinez is not going to go on record and say his current GK coach is shit is he!

Hopefully the other 2 or 3 are better.

Gerrard, Hjulmand and Martinez are all so risky and not convinced they'll be better than Smith.

Martinez would be actively worse, he's achieved so little with Belgium given their squad. Living off a good time with Wigan years ago that still ended up in relegation

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hiney said:

Sacking Dean and replacing him with Steven Gerrard would be massively underwhelming 

I don't see how? 

It could be argued that Stevie G has marginly done/achieved more in his short time in management.

Many want Graham Potter, he has also taken the same path into management before landing a job in the Premier League - being the low leagues of Sweden.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Just now, tomav84 said:

LOL martinez is not going to go on record and say his current GK coach is shit is he!

Just a bizarre opinion. Heaton, Martinez and even Steer when called upon have performed well and by all accounts is a very promising and we'll performing coach.

It was a crap opinion you posted about only keeping him for sentimentality reasons (what is sentimental about a GK coach when we've just sacked two lifelong fans?) 

He's a good coach and should stay..

• Like 1

For what it's worth - and only referencing it because folk use it show they were unlucky last season/miss chances this season - Brighton are actually out-performing their xPTS for the season thus far and are comfortably in the bottom half of the table for xG.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No offence to you but this is bollocks. It's Glasgow Rangers. The pressure is always turned up to 11, no matter what the situation. 

Again, not an endorsement just a statement. I am open to most ideas including Gerrard, but I want to go on the record and say I am absolutely not calling him Stevie G under any circumstances. 

No offence taken.

Of course it comes with pressure, but I don’t think there would be AS much expectancy in his first season, as the club had finished third the previous two seasons.

3 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

I think you are understating the significance of 10 in a row up there. Gerrard was under massive pressure to dodge that and he would have been lynched if he was he manager that oversaw that (even if he was only in charge for a couple of the seasons)

Yes that’s true, this is why I added the “certainly not initially” bit at the end. His first two seasons at Rangers I can imagine a certain degree of leeway and he undoubtedly smashed it in his third.

• Like 1

Most of the managers listed are a sidewards step. Welcome to the merry-go-round. I hope they prove me wrong, but I think this could be a rash decision. Newcastle, a team with £350BN, the best they can do is Eddie Howe. Gerrard distanced himself from that job, so I'm sceptical he'd come. But, Nigel Reo-Coker said we should go for Diego Simeone... I'll go for that. 😂😂😂😂 

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Why? He's not proven himself at all at club level and international football is a different kettle of fish. 

A massive no from me. 

Proving yourself at club level means the square root of jack now. So many of the managers on the favourites list have "proven" themselves and I wouldn't go near them. Something about the Danish guy tells me he'd be good. Gut feeling.

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Just a bizarre opinion. Heaton, Martinez and even Steer when called upon have performed well and by all accounts is a very promising and we'll performing coach.

It was a crap opinion you posted about only keeping him for sentimentality reasons (what is sentimental about a GK coach when we've just sacked two lifelong fans?) 

He's a good coach and should stay..

i think it's equally as bizarre being concerned that a key member of the coaching staff might leave when the board deemed that 2 of that team are not good enough...you have no idea if he's any good at his job or not so i just found the panic of him potentially leaving to be odd when it's totally plausible that he could be part of the problem

martinez and heaton were seasoned pros when they joined us...cutler has hardly made them the players they are. don't think we can comment on steer for how little he plays but there was a consensus that martinez would've done better with at least 2 of the chelsea goals

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

christ, that word removed gerrard managing us. still i suppose i learned to accept terry eventually. 

It's probably been mentioned before in this thread but any time I've seen Gerrard at Villa Park, he's fallen over in the last ten minutes and his team have got a penalty or scored from the resulting free kick. If he can still manage that, I'm all for him coming.