The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm finding it interesting that Steven Gerrard is being ruled out on the grounds of "not achieving anything worthwhile", yet when Deano was appointed he'd managed Walsall and Brentford.

And then there's the "he'll only see us as a stepping stone to Liverpool". Well, if we appoint another manager where Aston Villa is the height of their ambition we'll never get anywhere. Same with players - Leon Bailey hasn't arrived here thinking "that's me done - career goals ticked".

There's so much more that goes into being a good manager (or head coach) than what we see for 90 minutes a week, and the people undertaking our hiring process will know far more about the merits of each candidate than we could dream of.

We're going to have to be open-minded on this one. There are a handful of managers in the world who would please everyone at just the mention of their name, and we're not about to hire any of them.

Whoever comes in is a gamble.  Where Purslow and Lange earn their money is ensuring the odds are in our favour.  Like they (well, Purslow) did last time.

Gerrard has pretty much over exceeded in his short time as manager, albeit in a very easy league. If he wanted the job, and it’s a massive if, he would need to convince Purslow and Lange that is he the best man for the job and the reasons for it.   He wouldn’t be joining for money, he would be joining to make or break his career as a top flight manager.  So I personally think the club would have to sell the role to him just as much as he would need to sell himself. 

3 minutes ago, useless said:

The pressure on Gerrard wasn't to finish top two, that alone wouldn't have been considered good enough, the pressure was to end Celtic's dominance, which he achieved to the point where Rangers have become the dominant team.

Fair point but i guess by pressure I mean if he only finished 2nd it wouldn’t have ruined his career as a top flight manager. I think only managing a relegation scrap or worse at villa without playing decent football will end any dreams he had of the Liverpool role. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When was the last time rangers won the league before Gerrard arrival? 

When I say pressure, I mean more on a personal level for his career. Not the pressure of fans. 

edit: you know the answer to the question you just asked so why not just say?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point but i guess by pressure I mean if he only finished 2nd it wouldn’t have ruined his career as a top flight manager. I think only managing a relegation scrap or worse at villa without playing decent football will end any dreams he had of the Liverpool role. 

I mean Mcleish finished 3rd once with Rangers and he still got jobs 😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not disrespecting what SG has done done quickly up there but lets face it, Celtic were in slow decline, it was coming to an end and its only ever a 2 horse race, end of.

Hate the fact that the liverscum pundits only want him here as an audition, they want to know if he can be plopps successor. If he's still busting heads with Celtic when plopp goes they will not risk him, they will look elsewhere.

Screw liverscum.

I do think the pressure was slightly easier at Rangers than it would typically have been.

Would you expect more pressure at a club that had won the league every year for the previous 5 seasons or one that hadn’t won in the best part of a decade? Expectancy level wouldn’t be as high IMO. Certainly not initially.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

You do realise his Brighton side haven't won a game since mid September ?

They are also getting a reputation of creating but missing chances.

Brighton with Danny Ings would be a whole other prospect. They play really good football and create. They cannot finish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Hasenhutl or Potter.

These two are both proven at PL level and set-up to play nice football.

RH - 36.22% win rate and has lost 2 games 9-0. I don't see why we'd want to pay compensation for him.
Potter - 28.3% win rate at Brighton. Sure, Brighton aren't a great team, but that's still very low. 

I wouldn't say either have proven themselves at this level, certainly no more than Smith. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I do think the pressure was slightly easier at Rangers than it would typically have been.

Would you expect more pressure at a club that had won the league every year for the previous 5 seasons or one that hadn’t won in the best part of a decade? Expectancy level wouldn’t be as high IMO. Certainly not initially.

No offence to you but this is bollocks. It's Glasgow Rangers. The pressure is always turned up to 11, no matter what the situation. 

Again, not an endorsement just a statement. I am open to most ideas including Gerrard, but I want to go on the record and say I am absolutely not calling him Stevie G under any circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If Gerrard does well, he will be off to Liverpool in two years. I don’t see the point.

Surely the owners want someone who can buy into the project at least mid-term.

I don’t want Gerrard anyway, I really don’t see how he’s any better than Smith.

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think you are understating the significance of 10 in a row up there. Gerrard was under massive pressure to dodge that and he would have been lynched if he was he manager that oversaw that (even if he was only in charge for a couple of the seasons)

Edited by slowandlow

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Not disrespecting what SG has done done quickly up there but lets face it, Celtic were in slow decline, it was coming to an end and its only ever a 2 horse race, end of.

Hate the fact that the liverscum pundits only want him here as an audition, they want to know if he can be plopps successor. If he's still busting heads with Celtic when plopp goes they will not risk him, they will look elsewhere.

Screw liverscum.

I think sadly any manager we take is likely doing it as an audition for a top 4 club. The only manager who saw managing villa as the pinnacle of all that could be achieve in football was Deano.

I understand the point though.