The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm not sure why some of you are against appointing SG as manager simply because he would move on to Liverpool as soon as he could. Can any of you name a top manager that thinks Villa is his endgame? We are a stepping stone club, sooner we realise that the better. I'm more than willing to give Gerrard a chance. 

It would be like Houllier all over again. Not sure I could stomach it.

Plus if he came and lost every game until the end of the season. They would people saying he took on an impossible task - not his fault etc.

• Like 2

Just now, hippo said:

It would be like Houllier all over again. Not sure I could stomach it.

Plus if he came and lost every game until the end of the season. They would people saying he took on an impossible task - not his fault etc.

At no point will this squad be seen as an impossible task. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm not sure why some of you are against appointing SG as manager simply because he would move on to Liverpool as soon as he could. Can any of you name a top manager that thinks Villa is his endgame? We are a stepping stone club, sooner we realise that the better. I'm more than willing to give Gerrard a chance. 

‘Chance’ is the word. We get Gerrard and we’re betting everything on a toss of a coin. I can’t believe that ownership such as NSWE would do that. It must be someone else, it must. 

If it’s Gerrard then there really is no plan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

An element yes... But there are candidates that are more known quantities with greater records of success out there. Favre, Fonseca, even Koeman. 

To be fare Favre and Fonseca sound decent given my extensive Google based knowledge. Koeman I'm not so sure. Even the first two have a reasonable degree of risk. We’ll see. If we’re having this conversation again in a few moths time we’ll know the choice, no matter who, was wrong. If we’re arguing over whether we can make the Europa League or the CL we’ll know the choice was right. Probably somewhere between the two extremes. 

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He prefaced it by saying how he wasn't supposed to say anything very specific, but also stated that he'd been talking to people at the club . . . I don't think it was meant to be certain or anything, but since it chimes with all the media reports which also put Gerrard as the favourite, it seems easy to believe Gerrard is the first choice.

Yeah this is a bit misleading. Not intentionally I’m sure, perhaps you missed it, but he is careful to say the Gerrard rumour isn’t coming from anyone at the club. Of the club, he says there’s a shortlist and they will be talking to them over the coming days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Gerrard mind you, but it could just as easily be a name completely flying under the radar at present. 

6 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Take one look at the academy, that's where our future is

The risk of SG for me would be an instant success at any cost just to get some buzz around him before klopp goes and he takes the Liverpool job that he actually wants 

Im not convinced he'd bring 4 or 5 kids through and I'm definitley not convinced he'll be here beyond 2 years so I don't see the point if I'm honest 

And by success I still only mean around 10th to 8th in the table 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

‘Chance’ is the word. We get Gerrard and we’re betting everything on a toss of a coin. I can’t believe that ownership such as NSWE would do that. It must be someone else, it must. 

If it’s Gerrard then there really is no plan. 

That seems terribly unfair. He is an actual football manager who appears to be doing a very good job at present. You might not like it, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be appointing him without knowing why they’re doing it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Who would you like to see in the job Mr Trenty Trent?

If I could choose, Brendan Rogers would be top of my list but I've been saying that since his Reading days. 

I don't really watch other leagues so I've very little clue about foreign coaches, I'm the MON of scouting managers! I like Potter, I think he really has something about him and Ten Hag is clearly talented.

I really don't want someone of the managerial merry go round and I don't want Terry or Lampard, I'm not keen on Fonseca not because I know anything about his management but it would represent a huge gamble.

With Gerrard I have a number of reservations but do feel he will probably be a success as a manager above and beyond Scottish football so think he is a very serious contender.

It is a shame Pochettino isn't back on the market yet.

Oh and I think AVB is worth considering.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

The same bloke who learnt his trade in the swedish league? It seems strange that a bloke with what two years at Brighton and half a season at Swansea is the right man for Villa. But if you think of Villa as a small club youll get a small manager.

If you use this thinking then smiths resume of managing Walsall & Brentford meant he should never have been appointed. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

If you use this thinking then smiths resume of managing Walsall & Brentford meant he should never have been appointed. 

Or Steven Gerrard’s resume managing *checks notes* Glasgow Rangers. 

I’m not saying he’s the right guy, I’ve no idea, but I’m finding the reaction to his name puzzling. This isn’t Tim Sherwood, he’s a serious human being. 

• Like 1