The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

34 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’m going higher up the ladder and doubting purslow now. Pitarch an absolute bust. Lange - who knows, don’t look great. On Purslow.

Agree, we should ask bigger questions.  Dean turned a team around and played aggressive, attacking football in the Championship.  Then after trying to do similar in the PL he recognised the player limitations and addressed them alongside ROK and JT.  

Since the start of this season, something has not been right.  ROK/JT leaving, Gresford (meh) then recruitment.  Individuals look great on paper, but teams are not built on paper and Lange/Purslow have some questions to answer.

• Like 2

Given our main problem is in midfield, AVB being a Portuguese speaker and having the previous strong relationship with Sanson would definitely be an interesting option, plus he has a decent enough record in English football.

The big concern with AVB is he seems to be a mercenary, and I think we need another manager like Smith who is looking for a long term project.

Hard to say. As much as I’m wary of Purslow since his PR shenanigans over the summer and some unusual moves in the transfer market, I do trust him to do a good job of interviewing replacements. He got the Smith appointment right, despite it not being a totally obvious move.

Main thing for me is whoever comes in has a clear vision of how they’re going to take us up a level. Do they plan to sign players in January? How are they going to use Ings and Watkins? How are they going to involve the youth talent - and especially convince players like Chukwuemeka to stay.

We will want someone with a track record of bringing through youngsters, as that's obviously a big part of our strategy, it's not for nothing that we're spending as much on the academy that we are, and going to the trouble of bring some of the best youth players in the country to the club.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

We will want someone with a track record of bringing through youngsters, as that's obviously a big part of our strategy, it's not for nothing that we're spending as much on the academy that we are, and going to the trouble of bring some of the best youth players in the country to the club.

Favre it is then.

Nothing is floating my boat.

I don't want to go all Gammon on this but so far all of our foreign coach appointments at Villa have been complete disasters. 

We need someone with a bit of experience, a flexible outlook on tactics, and someone with a big enough character to cope with managing Villa.

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So what you are saying is actually winning games shouldn't be important as long as there are good excuses?

Jist because you can't understand that creating lots of chances and conceding few, is what leads to winning football doesn't mean you have to keep shitting on a person who has proven himself to be a fairly excellent manager 

I have no strong preference for any particular person, but I'd rather see them go with either someone who has won things, or with someone off the radar. I don't want to see them get someone who has a big name but who's never won anything.

Rangers are mentioned more on Sky than any other club in the top 4 of the Premiership, they have an absolute agenda in promoting that club and for one reason only : Steven Gerrard.

Celtics achievements are non existent on Sky and if we had Gerrard we would be used in the same way regardless of success or performance.

Do we want real success or Sky News Fame??

14 minutes ago, NPDK said:

It seems like Danish options will be mentioned a lot in the the press due to Lange. I mentioned to a few of my friends when we hired Smith, that Brentford got an upgrade at the manager position. I stand by that still. Although, I wouldn't target Thomas Frank now as I want to get away from the Brentford-link, I still think he'd be a solid option - all things considered. 

The only other Danish name I'd like to see us linked with is Bo Svensson from Mainz. He's been a miracle worker since he arrived in there in January. He's a players coach and he gives young players chances, although he has a small sample size in terms of his career. I think he's going to be very successful wherever he ends up going in his career. 

EDIT: I'm not in favor of appointing a Danish manager, I'd really prefer not to, but Svensson is one guy I'd be really, really interested in. 

Great shout, Mainz have a great track record with outgoing managers too.

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

This!  Deano has worn this, but think the problems are much deeper (potentially up to the used car salesman that is Purslow)

I can imagine new coaching staff being forced upon him by Lange and as a result ROK decided to leave. Thats probably what contributed to the tic tac. Imagine being in the worst run of your career and your right hand man for the whole of it is now gone. The very person you would have leaned on and also trusted implicitly.  

I agree that new coaches can bring new ideas but theres also a lot to be said for keeping loyal coaches with you for the not so good times 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Favre would be a great choice for us too

My only worry is his age and the fact he has backed out of a couple of roles recently (think Spurs and Newcastle?).  Is his heart still in it?

17 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

A few people have said that they read my posts in Partridges voice… I often forget that and then someone will say something like this and I piss myself laughing! 

It's the only way I read your posts. :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’m going higher up the ladder and doubting purslow now. Pitarch an absolute bust. Lange - who knows, don’t look great. On Purslow.

Why stop there? Maybe a change of owners too?

Tear the stadium down?

• Haha 1

I don’t know anything about Favre admittedly. Did a bit of digging and don’t see why everyone is so excited? Average record and binned off after two seasons at Dortmund? Do people see Dortmund and just get horny because of Klopp, Haaland, etc. 

• Like 2

AVB wants to become an international manager next and also has spoken in the past of not wanting to work in England again… If we are discussing highly rated Portuguese managers then I’d rather have Rúben Amorim from Sporting and he can bring Pedro Gonçalves with him…