Christmas 2021

sidcow

Since my parents died and my friends moved away I've been feeling less and less 'Christmas-y' every year, but this year I genuinely would not know it was Christmas next week if I didn't see the comments and know there's some cards to write and a couple of things (literally) I need to wrap. There's not even the smallest 'traditions' this year - I won't be spending most of the day with my sister's family, I won't spend a few hours with the girlfriends family on Boxing Day for a the second year running, etc etc.

It's just a few days off.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Since my parents died and my friends moved away I've been feeling less and less 'Christmas-y' every year, but this year I genuinely would not know it was Christmas next week if I didn't see the comments and know there's some cards to write and a couple of things (literally) I need to wrap. There's not even the smallest 'traditions' this year - I won't be spending most of the day with my sister's family, I won't spend a few hours with the girlfriends family on Boxing Day for a the second year running, etc etc.

It's just a few days off.

I know you have a similar mindset to me mate, but it might be beneficial and nice to try to do some of the traditional things yourself even just for the sake of it, you might find it helps even in the pointlessness of it all. Buy some shitty eggnog, watch an awful Christmas variety and laugh at how bad it is, do a mini Christmas dinner, that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Just sat through the yearly watching of a Muppet Christmas Carol, Been tradition since we had the kids, boys they were not happy about it this year but stuck it to the end. It’s mad that something so trivial can get you in a festive mood

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just sat through the yearly watching of a Muppet Christmas Carol, Been tradition since we had the kids, boys they were not happy about it this year but stuck it to the end. It’s mad that something so trivial can get you in a festive mood

Will be Friday morning for me, national lampoon Thursday, actually really looking forward to it! 

Started reading the book, to be fair to the muppets they seemed to have got it nailed, a fair few of gonzos lines are straight from dickens 

• Like 1

Probably the least 'festive' I have ever been as well. A week to Christmas and i've barely played any Christmas songs and haven't put any decorations up. 

Even last year I made a small effort. 12 months on and dragged down with more covid shit going on, I haven't got the energy or inclination anymore. 

33 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I have this tradition of drinking red wine and wrapping the presents while watching a Christmas film. Not sure when that started, maybe when our youngest was born a few years ago. All I've got available film wise is a Christmas carol but it's from the 50s, recorded it earlier. Almost unwatchable. I dont mind the 70s one or possibly it was 60s but cant be doing with the 50s one. Could do with the muppets version right about now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Probably the least 'festive' I have ever been as well. A week to Christmas and i've barely played any Christmas songs and haven't put any decorations up. 

Even last year I made a small effort. 12 months on and dragged down with more covid shit going on, I haven't got the energy or inclination anymore. 

It's just a replica of last year. Escalation of cases right into the Christmas break, and strong likelihood of a dark lockdown in Jan. January was particularly tough I felt. 

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

National Lampoons Christmas vacation for me.

"Hey Griswold where do you think your gonna put a tree that big"

"Bend over I'll show you",

"You got a lotta nerve talking to me like that"

" I wasn't talking to you"  🤣🤣

I watched it last week.

Polar Express today.

• Like 1

Watched Trading Places last night. Will probably watch Blackadder Christmas Carol later. 

In two minds about watching Die Hard or not. 

At some point I've got to fit in Disney Christmas Carol. I try to do that closer to the big day though. 

• Like 1

I looked for Home Alone the other day and it seems to only be on Disney+ which pissed me off.  I think there are some Christmas films that need to be on the protected list like sports events and old buildings, available to all unsmirched in their original form.  

• Like 2

Struggling  this year to get in the spirit.

With a  6,5 and 1 year old I should be in peak xmas mood but i just find myself pretending for them. 

Mixture of work covid dark nights all just getting a bit to me.

Not helped by the fact my lads main gift is tickets to a monster truck show in January which I'm pretty sure will be cancelled

A Xmas miracle has happened

It is 6 days before the day and I have actually wrapped the missus’ presents. It’s rare I’ve even bought them yet and normally wrap them on Xmas morning before the others get up.

I’m even confident she’ll even like her presents this year 😀

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Watched Trading Places last night. Will probably watch Blackadder Christmas Carol later. 

In two minds about watching Die Hard or not. 

At some point I've got to fit in Disney Christmas Carol. I try to do that closer to the big day though. 

I’m the same, some films have to be saved for closer to Xmas than others. Mickeys Christmas Carol, Muppets Christmas Carol, Tailor of Gloucester and Santa Clause (Dudley Moore one) all can’t be watched unless it’s within a week of Christmas.

The rest is whenever. Watched National Lampoons a few nights ago. If I could only pick one film to watch at Christmas it would be Christmas vacation. It’s so seriously amazing and it never gets old. It’s perfect.

The animated version of Tailor of Gloucester is my late night Christmas Eve everyone else is in bed film. That’s the one that gets me really festive.