Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

22 minutes ago, calcifer said:

This. Our squad has good players but some are just over hyped. Jack made Watkins look like a world class striker. This season Watkins has been a world class stinker. Our defence was one of the best in the league during the lockdown. Now it is about as leaky as a dodgy tap. The midfeid is woeful. They can't carry the ball forward. 

Maybe it is down to mentally, with fans we are shocking, without the fans we were flying, this made the team look better that it actually was. Let's not kid ourselves we don't get at least 2 wins from our next 3 then we will be looking over our shoulder. What will be worse is Newcastle will finish above us. 

I think you have a point. Football was a lower standard without crowds. Before covid we looked doomed to go back to the championship. Some of our players are not as good as we think. A major overhaul in the summer is needed. 

1 hour ago, Jbvilla909 said:

He's had two different managers....

And furnished them with decent players. Smith was a great appointment all ends up but he reached his ceiling , whereas Gerrard is clearly Purslow's appointment. Lange is a very odd one to go after in all of this. 

37 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Think Newcastle and Burnley will be save.
Its out of us, Norwich, Everton, Leeds and Watford to go down. We must scrape a win from somewhere, not sure where its coming from tho 

Even with their win Burnley are still 10 points off us. They certainly won't be thinking of catching us just yet although they'll certainly fancy their chances of equalling at least the four points off us last season as we never deal well with their style.

41 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Its out of us, Norwich, Everton, Leeds and Watford to go down. We must scrape a win from somewhere, not sure where its coming from tho 

Hard to see how this isn't an attempt at baiting.

Yeah there's a chance we could go down, although still quite a small one at this stage, but anybody who has us in the equation but not Burnley, Newcastle, Brentford and even Palace is trolling.

• Like 2

The wheels would have to fall off completely for Villa to be in the relegation scrap & I really can't see that happening. The team has lots of talent & once SG gets them gets them organized they will be fine. There is a steep learning curve ahead of Stevie G because this league is 100 time tougher than the Scottish Premier. He will need to get his subs spot on in the future but I think he is smart enough to adapt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, messi11 said:

It's a feeling. Yeah, I get that. Pull up, son. You're sucking just a little too hard on the Villa Bong of Despair, which we all know too well. Anyone with an imagination and a touch of standard-issue early 21st century neurosis can certainly go there, mentally, with this shitty team at the moment. But I do think we'll get it together. I see us ending up 13th or 14th, and next August, once again, I'll get my hopes up and book my Fall 2023 Villa-in-Europe AirBnB's. And, well, you know the rest ...

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

Burnley even with a win are in deep trouble. You didnt mention Brentford. Their form is worse than ours and they are 3 pomts below us. 

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are not going down. However any pre Christmas talk of Europe now seems faintly hilarious.  11th to about 15th. 

If hypothetically we did go down, where does that leave the NSWE project? I reckon they sell up.

• Like 1

Here is my very pessimistic prediction based on current form of us and everyone else we are due to play...

Away lose to Brighton, 

Home Lose to Southampton (they are on form)

Away Leeds will be up for beating us

away Wet Spam at their place another loss

Arsenal at home another loss

Away to Dog heads they will beat us on current form

Home against Spuds maybe a draw

home against liverplop another loss

away to leicester maybe a draw

home to Naaaarwich Deano to beat us so another loss

Home to Palace possibly a win

Away to man city another loss (of course

Plus home and away to the thugs of Burnley are we really saying that we will get anything from either of those games?

So perhaps a max of another 5 points....so yes I am concerned about being drawn into a relegation fight as I am not sure we have the backbone for a dog fight....

VTID

Del

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Norwich need  3 wins and 2 draws  (or 4 wins)  to over take us , assuming we achieve zero points  in those 5 games  they have also played a game more than us 

Burnley , should they win their 2 games in hand  , need a win and a draw  to overtake us   .. 

Watford need 3 wins and draw to over take us  due to our Goal difference and on paper they have a tough run in , 

realistically Watford and Norwich are gone , I don't see them surviving 

Brentford play Newcastle , Norwich and Burnley in their next 3 fixtures  , so they could either sink Burnley and Norwich ..or sink themselves  .. after those 3 games on paper they only really have one winnable game ( Watford Away)  

Everton have some  tough run of fixtures , they need to beat Burnley really , which then takes Burnley into needing one more win to overtake us  Everton then have Leicester , Citeh,Spuds ,Wolves

If ( Big IF ) we beat Norwich and Burnley (at least once)  then 33 points will most likely be enough ...  some bonus points v Brighton , Southampton , Dirty Leeds and Leicester  would  make it slightly less nervy for us 

its really 14 games to see what Gerrard is made of and if the board decide to go forward with him next season

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not better than Wolves. Not even close. 

We finished 10 points above them last season and we were 2-0 in front of them at Villa Park, with 10 minutes of normal time remaining earlier this season. I don't see that there is too much to pick between the two teams. They are currently on a good run and we are on a bad one, and I think that may make the current 13 point gap that exists between the two teams, seem a bit wider than it actually is. 

Quite an interesting midweek for other teams down there.

Leeds got Liverpool away, think they'll get smashed in that one.

Burnley home to Spurs. Should lose but wouldn't shock me if they got a draw so they're starting to go on one of those runs they have every season.

Big one is Watford home to Palace. Can certainly see Watford getting another win and that would push them up to 21 points.

Would mean 6 point gap between 18th to 11th place....

Another couple of losses on the bounce and we'll be right in the shit. Then the idea of finishing as far up the table as possible and being well inside the top ten will look ridiculous. Worse than that is that if we finish this season poorly we take no momentum into the summer, we'll have stalled and Gerrard if he survives will want to majorly overhaul the squad. So then another season of transition which could go wrong... 

I don't think we'll go down but the damage is being done by just us having this conversation. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Here is my very pessimistic prediction based on current form of us and everyone else we are due to play...

Away lose to Brighton, 

Home Lose to Southampton (they are on form)

Away Leeds will be up for beating us

away Wet Spam at their place another loss

Arsenal at home another loss

Away to Dog heads they will beat us on current form

Home against Spuds maybe a draw

home against liverplop another loss

away to leicester maybe a draw

home to Naaaarwich Deano to beat us so another loss

Home to Palace possibly a win

Away to man city another loss (of course

Plus home and away to the thugs of Burnley are we really saying that we will get anything from either of those games?

So perhaps a max of another 5 points....so yes I am concerned about being drawn into a relegation fight as I am not sure we have the backbone for a dog fight....

VTID

Del

We won't lose all those games. We have very recently had a run of 5 points from 3 games after all. Fack knows what's happened since the break though.

At what point in that hypothetical losing run does Gerrard get sacked out of interest as that would be worse form than DS given you've got us losing 8 straight prem games.

Even under Lambert we didn't reach those depths.