Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Just now, Zero7 said:

Never want to see AEG in a Villa shirt again after that dive.. sky sports commentators taking the piss out of us 

They are to a man amazed that Smith hasn't taken him off. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

At the end of the day we're only behind due to a freak goal. 

But that's only half of the story.  We've been absolutely battered. 

I'm so sick of our totally non existent midfield. They're not defending and they're not attacking.  Southampton are pouring through our lines, they're dominating the edge of the box, they're just waiting for the next thunderbolt from just outside the edge of the box after a layoff. 

Our defence are last ditch on everything, but when they do win the ball they've got no options on so it's a hopeful punt over the midfield heads which is immediately won back by Southampton (or as its been all season whoever we're playing) who head or launch it back and win every second ball because midfield are again nowhere. 

Occasionally Bailey gets the ball out wide and there is no one anywhere. 

We look like we're playing with 6 me.  It almost looks impossible for them to be so nowhere. 

Every goal we concede is a freak apparently!

• Like 2

Just now, Zero7 said:

Never want to see AEG in a Villa shirt again after that dive.. sky sports commentators taking the piss out of us 

I never wanted to see him again for that bottle job bailout header against Everton awful awful footballer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

At the end of the day we're only behind due to a freak goal. 

But that's only half of the story.  We've been absolutely battered. 

I'm so sick of our totally non existent midfield. They're not defending and they're not attacking.  Southampton are pouring through our lines, they're dominating the edge of the box, they're just waiting for the next thunderbolt from just outside the edge of the box after a layoff. 

Our defence are last ditch on everything, but when they do win the ball they've got no options on so it's a hopeful punt over the midfield heads which is immediately won back by Southampton (or as its been all season whoever we're playing) who head or launch it back and win every second ball because midfield are again nowhere. 

Occasionally Bailey gets the ball out wide and there is no one anywhere. 

We look like we're playing with 6 me.  It almost looks impossible for them to be so nowhere. 

Apart from the hoof from ward prowse there's nothing freak about that the goal.

Maybe if our players moved...gambled on 2nd balls and had a bit of quality they would score a few freak goals.

Armstrong made that goal work for him.

Am I watching a different game from everyone else?  This doesn't look like a team that isn't playing for the manager...  They're all busting a gut pressing, trying to do something.  They're playing like a team with no self confidence at all.  Poor touches, poor short passes, misjudging how much time they have on the ball, etc.  They're a team which needs a goal to get them some belief back in them again.

Take El Ghazi off and put JPB on.  We also need to take one of Bailey/Buendia off and bring on AAron to bring some youthful energy/fearlessness to try to get something going.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

The sad thing is, we have the better players, just an inept manager, I’m in the smith out camp. Something behind the scenes has gone horribly wrong, terry and rok leaving are part of the problem 

Robbie Earle just commented on US TV (paraphrased a bit): Player for player, on paper, Villa should be the better team. But Southampton are better coached and better organized. Villa looks like 3 different teams, defenders, midfielders, and forwards, and they don't work together.

• Like 1

Just made my routine complaint on the sky website about the ridiculous anti Villa commentary from Anti-Villa Linchcliffe  - I’m sure some Villa player must’ve done his wife because he has got a constant vendetta against regardless of what’s before his eyes 🤬

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dominated us in that half.

El Ghazi can't come back on surely. Cash doing defence and winger. Targett only one getting in the box. Bailey forgot how to play football. 

Surely Smith will be saying to them You trying to get me sacked"!!

does make you wonder.

I said to the missus, Bailey looks like he has forgotton how to run, for sucvh a blisteringly fast player, he doesnt seem to want to take anyone on.

But then again, i would have had enough of our long ball play by now if i were in that 11, 5ft 6 Buendia, 5ft 7 McGinn and 5ft 5 Nakamba, then El Ghazi who couldnt head if his life depended on it, must be looking up in the air at the ball and thinking......wtf....

• Like 1