The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if Thierry Henry name will crop up  - I was seduced by him 3 years ago 

I have a cream for that.😀

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, sne said:

Barca are 3-0 at HT in their first game without Koeman. Not that this has any bearing on us but he's not someone I'd want here.

I think it does

The reason for sacking Smith for me would be that the players have lost interest and aren't giving it 100%

Koeman at barca was exactly the same, he was a dead man walking so they phoned it in 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it does

The reason for sacking Smith for me would be that the players have lost interest and aren't giving it 100%

Koeman at barca was exactly the same, he was a dead man walking so they phoned it in 

True. Thankfully we no longer have any old boys club like Barca does with Pique, Alba, Busquets, (Messi), Roberto who more or less run the club. Or guys like Coutinho and Umtiti who knows they have no future at the club but are so well paid that they refuse to leave.

I don't rate Koeman  and don't want him here (and hate him for that FK-goal against Sampdoria back in 92) but Barca have a very difficult squad atm

40 minutes ago, supermon said:

Ralf Rangnick, I know nothing about him other than he's apparently the mastermind behind Leipzig's play.

His nickname is "The Professor"

I want him already!!

He would be a replacement for Lange not Smith. He’s been a Director of Football for years.

Honestly think we need to let him go just to try to attempt some sort of new manager bounce.

As it stands Brighton would be disappointed not to beat us (although think we can grind out a draw from that if we get likes of Ings and Luiz back after the break), Palace will turn us over as they're playing well at both ends and can't see us getting anything from the three after that.

Don't see the logic in giving him Brighton. Huge pressure and think the crowd will really turn if we're losing and make his position untenable e.g. same as Nuno when his subs got booed the other day. Then we'd probably put Shakespeare in charge for Palace away and Man. City and lose both and then new manager gets Liverpool and Leicester.

I'd rather just make a decision now and at least new manager has Brighton and Palace which are realistic to get points in if we're organised and play well.

1 minute ago, supermon said:

He's apparently thrown his name in for Utd job.

Maybe have a clear out and get him in as DofF and then get Jesse Marsch in as head coach. Have had a good partnership in the past. Maybe Edens would like an American connection with the team.

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

He would be a replacement for Lange not Smith. He’s been a Director of Football for years.

He did actually manage Leipzig one season while they waited for Nagalsmann and he did alright IIRC but yeah prefers upstairs role these days.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Potter finished midtable in the championship with a Swansea squad that should have been at least challenging for the play-offs, they immediately improved after he left. In his two seasons with Brighton they've finished 15th and 16th with 41 points on both occassions, barely an improvement on how they were doing under Hughton.

And this idea that he's doing well relative to the quality of their squad doesn't ring true either, people are constantly praising Brighton for how good they are in the transfer market, and also linking us with their players, so their squad can't be that bad and presumably should be doing better than just surviving, looking through their plyers I've seen calls for us to Lamptey, Webster, Bissouma, Trossard, Maupay, and White before he left, so it's not like Potter is performing a miracle with a bunch of players nobody rates, and besides they've spent hundreds of millions on their team.

Apart from their differing starts to this season there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that Potter is a better manager than Smith, and Potter hasn't suddenly become a better manager than Smith based on ten games this season, maybe Potter will go on to have a brilliant season with Brighton and that will be credit to him and give some substance to the praise that he's getting, but for now I don't get the fascination.

There is lots of debate about potential managers and there is going to always be comparisons. It is highly unlikely we will get a manager that has won the PL maybe we attract a manager that won a league outside of England. I really don't see the merit of comparing a different manager's improvement to Dean's. There are very few clubs that have had a worldie player and spent 350m in the last 3 years and were hanging about in a lower division. The reason I believe that people like Potter is because of the football his teams play. They are organised, play to a system, function like a team and look like a team that will improve significantly with the addition of some quality players. They are things completely absent from Villa this year

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Got a feeling Koeman will be interviewed. Just seems the sort they would look at, an Im sure he would come back to the premier League. Not sure if he is any good, just heard on here he is terrible.

God I hope not, he would be a major step down from Smith imo

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

God I hope not, he would be a major step down from Smith imo

He did well at Southampton didn't he?

Everton was o.k up to they sold Lukaku and replaced him with endless poor midfielders.

Got Holland back on the right track aswell after they missed out on tournaments in 2016 and 2018.

Huge experience managing clubs in europe and won stuff.

Barca job was always a hiding to nothing with state they're generally in. Even then they weren't far off winning the league last season and this season they just can't cope without Messi so similar to us.

Not really sure where he's becoming a bad manager, just a question of how motivated he'd be I think.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What about Trapattoni is he still around around. If you're good enough you're young enough!

Awful, awful style of football. If u didn't like the way Bruce used to park the bus and try to snatch a late goal then you wouldn't like Trapp. Also, he would hardly be a long term strategy

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He did well at Southampton didn't he?

Everton was o.k up to they sold Lukaku and replaced him with endless poor midfielders.

Got Holland back on the right track aswell after they missed out on tournaments in 2016 and 2018.

Huge experience managing clubs in europe and won stuff.

Barca job was always a hiding to nothing with state they're generally in. Even then they weren't far off winning the league last season and this season they just can't cope without Messi so similar to us.

Not really sure where he's becoming a bad manager, just a question of how motivated he'd be I think.

I don't know the data but my impression is that every club he was with has gone downhill while he was there