The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Potter is streets ahead of Smith.

Impossible to say. We can only speculate that GP would've taken us up at the first time of asking, kept us up and improved once more the following season. We have the evidence with Smith.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm still struggling to think of replacements.  I do like Hassenhuttl and said for a couple of years I'd like him here if the job ever came available.  Southampton haven't shown any ambition in years which is the main reason he hasn't always got the most consistent results so he could be tempted.  He could bring Ward-Prowse with him too, plus it destabilises them. 

This is the first time I've been really worried about Dean, the mental fragility since the last 10 minutes against Wolves is really hard to turn around.  There doesn't seem much togetherness at the moment.

Somebody pointed out that no manager has moved mid season betweenPremier League clubs since Pardew in 2015. I think we wont try take another teams manager

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Nothing, last season Villa was this season’s Brighton 

The Brighton xG stat last season became a bit of a meme, but they were incredibly unlucky some games. It’s not a surprise they are doing better.

They lost a big player for big money this summer too, difference is Potter can actually set a team up.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

His team gets more points, playing better football with worse players and much, much less resources.

You can't judge the points till the end of the season , last time around Smith did better. 

We spent less than Brighton did this summer so I'm not sure the resources matter that much when talking about this season...all I can see is that they have more resources available to play on the pitch currently. 

I'm not sure how you judge the rest, but I'm not sure you can accuse smiths teams of playing bad football usually.

Potter is flavour of the month...could work but would be a massive gamble 

Potter finished midtable in the championship with a Swansea squad that should have been at least challenging for the play-offs, they immediately improved after he left. In his two seasons with Brighton they've finished 15th and 16th with 41 points on both occassions, barely an improvement on how they were doing under Hughton.

And this idea that he's doing well relative to the quality of their squad doesn't ring true either, people are constantly praising Brighton for how good they are in the transfer market, and also linking us with their players, so their squad can't be that bad and presumably should be doing better than just surviving, looking through their plyers I've seen calls for us to Lamptey, Webster, Bissouma, Trossard, Maupay, and White before he left, so it's not like Potter is performing a miracle with a bunch of players nobody rates, and besides they've spent hundreds of millions on their team.

Apart from their differing starts to this season there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that Potter is a better manager than Smith, and Potter hasn't suddenly become a better manager than Smith based on ten games this season, maybe Potter will go on to have a brilliant season with Brighton and that will be credit to him and give some substance to the praise that he's getting, but for now I don't get the fascination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The Brighton xG stat last season became a bit of a meme, but they were incredibly unlucky some games. It’s not a surprise they are doing better.

They lost a big player for big money this summer too, difference is Potter can actually set a team up.

Potter might be slightly better than Smith, but this Villa job comes with 10 times the expectation of the Brighton job despite us not doing anything of note for decades,  Any up and coming manager gets destroyed in this job eventually  

Edited by gwi1890

Up and coming managers might be cheaper and exciting but we've spent hundreds of millions on players in the last few years. Would be nice if we aimed for an established quality manager if/when Smith goes.

Obviously we can't spend £30m on sacking and replacing the manager like Spurs did, but considering how important the position is we should be able to spend a bit more than what we are paying Smith.

We are also in a much better position now than the last time we had to replace the manger. Not that it is easy to just bring in a good manager but still.

Also could not give a rats a** about PL experience.

31 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

That’s my point. You can’t consider Steven Gerrard’s credentials to be any higher.

Maybe not credentials in management so far, no.

Characteristics you can.

Gerrard would also be favoured of the two due to his relationship with the CEO, which is a solid start for anyone in this situation.

No doubt about it, whoever it is we appoint, (if and when Smith leaves the club) they would have to hit the ground running straight away.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Maybe not credentials in management so far, no.

Characteristics you can.

Gerrard would also be favoured of the two due to his relationship with the CEO, which is a solid start for anyone in this situation.

No doubt about it, whoever it is we appoint, (if and when Smith leaves the club) they would have to hit the ground running straight away.

I think Gerrard would be a big odds favorite if smith was sacked. 

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The lack of available replacements is a valid point.

Thing is though we're in free fall. Zero points from the next 2 games and we have a horror set of fixtures coming up after that.

Could be rock bottom by Christmas and staring relegation in the eye.

Might be worth it to take the gamble and try get that new manager bounce.

I don't think they have a clue, who to go after.......wouldn't surprise me if he stays in the job.

I think we are in deep doo dah.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Got a feeling Koeman will be interviewed. Just seems the sort they would look at, an Im sure he would come back to the premier League. Not sure if he is any good, just heard on here he is terrible.

No thanks. Was absolutely dreadful both at S'ton and Everton. 

• Like 1

Honestly anyone who doesn’t get the Potter clamour I know for a fact has not watched much of Brighton since he has been there, sure the “stats” will tell a tale but those that have followed Brighton will know how unbelievably unlucky they were in so many games last season, and the football is just sublime to watch. 

Do I think Potter will leave Brighton… not a chance. 

• Like 3