The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

9 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Favre is an absolute no-brainer for me given he appears to actually be realistically attainable. 

I don't trust they'd get an appointment right to be honest.

Favre agreed to join Palace over the summer but later decided he wasn't ready to return. He is arguably one of the better out of work managers a available, so for Newcastle to go for Howe makes me think that he turned them down for the same reason as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Agreed. JT is the only spine this club has had in the last 10 years. Without him we are a wobbly mess of gutless wimps.

Its impressive that you know this to be true!

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Agreed. JT is the only spine this club has had in the last 10 years. Without him we are a wobbly mess of gutless wimps.

Don't do it.....JT is about JT not Villa. Always was, always will be. No doubt he had an influence with players but he isn't the reason we've gone to ratshit. We were ratshit when he was here also don't forget.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why don't you trust them?  They've only made one managerial appointment and got that right.

Could may well be wrong and hope I would be, but the apparent interest in Henry at the time looms large for me. I can just envisage a more qualified "name" appointment like Gerrard or along those lines. It's just a hunch really but Villa have a habit of bringing out the pessimist in me.😂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, picicata said:

Yeah, I don't know why, maybe it's just being a Villa fan for the past 40 years, but I'm assuming who ever they appoint after Smith will be dogshit 🤣

Yup that’s my head right now, unless we had Conte or someone of that Calibre coming in I don’t see a big markup in managerial performance. 

I’ll lose my shit if we get a joker like Lampard or Gerrard in

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Could may well be wrong and hope I would be, but the apparent interest in Henry at the time looms large for me. I can just envisage a more qualified "name" appointment like Gerrard or along those lines. It's just a hunch really but Villa have a habit of bringing out the pessimist in me.😂

The Henry rumour was bs I think. We never had any interest in him.

We are actually a good proposition for a certain calibre of manager, decent squad underperforming; Far better than the short term for Newcastle for instance. 

However its the highest calibre I'd want in charge and that can only be done through availability and opportunity. This is made much harder when you have a limited time frame....like just firing a manager because we have an international window coming up.

I say patience is needed here whatever your feelings on Smith!

Edited by Nigel

20 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Favre agreed to join Palace over the summer but later decided he wasn't ready to return. He is arguably one of the better out of work managers a available, so for Newcastle to go for Howe makes me think that he turned them down for the same reason as well. 

Or he knew of a better option possibly coming available…

13 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Is it though?

We've looked like absolute shit in his absence.

I think £100m was still too cheap.

Even Purslow the bright spark has admitted he stuck the £100m clause in because he didn't think anyone would pay it, when everyone and their brother knows he is one of the best players in the PL. It's peanuts for a player of his ability and what he meant/did for Aston Villa.

As I say, another master stroke by Purslow, and people wonder why Liverpool fans couldn't stand the clown!

We either had to put the clause in or Grealish would not have signed the contract and probably would have been sold for about £50 million less. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, picicata said:

Yeah, I don't know why, maybe it's just being a Villa fan for the past 40 years, but I'm assuming who ever they appoint after Smith will be dogshit 🤣

As long as it’s German Shepard dog shit we’ll be fine. 

4 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Eddie Howe’s move to Newcastle on the brink of collapse apparently. Could be an option for us. 

Can't see a British manager being appointed if we do let DS go. These things seem cyclical, and I can't help but think we'll appoint a respected, but not fully tested foreign manager.

4 hours ago, useless said:

No thanks to Potter or Frank, if we replace Smith it needs to be someone who's a clear and obvious improvement, we've tried the thing of appointing flavor of the moment managers that have supposedly over achieved at lesser clubs in the hope that they will be even better at a club with more money, many times before, and it doesn't work, time to try something different.

Potter is streets ahead of Smith.