The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

Big Sam is the answer. Ok I am joking. 

Dan Bardell mentioned on his pod that one of the owners is friendly with Nuno, which actually I would be fine with, I have always respected him. He doesn't seem to be an egomaniac either, which is rare for premier league managers. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Welp...  Percy has spoken.  Looks like this is the end of the line for Deano.  As sad as I am to see him go, it will be interesting to see who we offer the position to in the next two weeks.  

The Realistic Candidates:

• Potter - Meh...  Probably the most realistic signing of the list.  We have a bigger budget/payroll than Brighton, but it took him 3 years to get Brighton playing his way.  Not sure he'll be given the same amount of time here.
  • Nuno - Would he want to jump back into the fire so soon after getting the axe at Spurs?  Not sure Villa supporters will take to kindly to his 532/343 systems, now that we've just seen a poor run of games with 3 at the back.  That said, I'd rather have him than Potter.
  • Gerrard - Unlike JT and Lampard, he's actually won something as a manager.  Way too much of a gamble at this point in his career to leave Rangers for us, but I can see Purslow giving him a call at least.  Personally, I'd be disappointed if we sacked Smith to roll the dice on him.  I'd seriously start to question Purslow's decision making if this happened.
  • Frank - He has a connection with Lange and seemed to be a much better tactician at Brentford than Smith was.  Would be the most sensible choice from this list, given our new org structure and actual step up in opportunity in the Villa manager position.  I wouldn't mind this one.
  • Scott Parker - My Fulham supporting mate still raves about him being a fantastic young manager who will go on to win titles somewhere, and doesn't blame Fulham's relegation on him at all.  It also looks like Bournemouth are running away with the Championship already this season, under his watch.  Would be a gamble like Gerrard, but another realistic candidate.

Exotic Johnny Foreigners we might get linked with:

• Fonseca - Please no...  Only has been successful in a 2 horse race in the Ukraine.  Roma fans considered him to be extremely average and glad to see him go.  
  • AVB - Available, but also no.  Resigned from Marseilles because he disagreed with the transfers being made without his consent, but I remember their fans absolutely evirating him for his tactics on their forum when we signed Sanson.
  • Klinsmann - God no...  As an American, I watched him slowly alienate the good American players from the squad and replace them with half-German, 2nd division players, purely because they didn't play in MLS...  Resulted in us missing the last World Cup.
  • Favre - Don't see the appeal, other than the fact he has Dortmund on his CV.  Was sacked in the middle of a bad run like Smith was here and hasn't held down a job since.  

I honestly see us going with someone from the first list, or someone completely out of left field and not even discussed in the media.  All the up and coming German managers all took new jobs this season and there aren't any realistic out of work managers with Premier League experience at this point in the season.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Why would Potter quit Brighton to join a relegation battle? 

Fair question. He might not. But I’d like think we’re big enough to be able to persuade a Brighton manager to join us.

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Fair question. He might not. But I’d like think we’re big enough to be able to persuade a Brighton manager to join us.

the CEO has a vision of playing euro footie, 

its wont happen under the current manager employed at villa, thats all villa can offer -a vision ..it might be enough 

45 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Scott Parker - My Fulham supporting mate still raves about him being a fantastic young manager

It also looks like Bournemouth are running away with the Championship already this season, under his watch.

They're 2pts ahead of Fulham in 2nd and 6pts ahead of West Brom in 3rd.

Hardly running away with the league is it?

Potter is the PL manager that I would want. His only downfall is the inability of his players to actually put the ball in the net, but everything else is very good. With better finishers in the team Brighton would be a consistent top 10 team.

I understand the points around us being in a relegation battle. But it’s hardly a battle after 11 games. Leave changing the manager until January and it very well could be.

This is not meant to sound arrogant, but we have the stature and resources to be be able to attract quite a few managers employed by other clubs. We should be able to find one that is better than what we currently have.

Edited by jacketspuds

I don't think Potter will come midseason because the Villa job could potentially turn out bad for him if he can't turn it around. We could attract him in the summer Im sure but I just don't think he would risk it now.

Potter has had very slow starts at both Swansea and Brighton, you could argue that he never really got going at Swansea, and it's only now after three seasons that Brighton are showing any kind of consistency, and even then they haven't won any of their last six games. So I'm not sure he's someone that come into a club struggling for results and turn their season around.

I really don't get the fascination with him, this thing that people keep talking about of Brighton being such a good team but their only problem is that they can't score goals reminds me of the way people were getting carried away with Buendia in the summer because of the amount of chances he created when last in the Premier League, even though those chances weren't converted, the excuse being that Norwich didn't have very good players, but our players would convert more of the chances he created, and similarly the excuse with Potter is that Brighton don't have the players to convert the chances they create.

And I'm not saying Buendia won't improve, just saying I think some get carried away by isolated stats and overhype teams/players based on those stats.

I think it's very naive to think that if you put Potter in charge of a team with players that can score then he'll suddenly start winning lots of games just because his current Brighton team supposedly create a lot of chances, if they're missing chances he has to take some of the blame for that, this is his third season, frankly whenever I've watched them struggling to score has been less about them missing lots of chances, and more that they try to overplay it in the final third, trying to score the perfect goal.

However, despite the toxicity that surrounded last night's 1-0 beating, BirminghamLive understands how there's a general consensus amongst those closest to Villa's decision-makers - Christian Purslow and the owners - that Smith will be given at least the Brighton game in a bid to salvage his Villa career which has not long surpassed the three-year mark.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-southampton-dean-smith-22087220

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sack Smith just yet, but that article is by Ashley Preece, who I don't think has ever had any kind of 'ITK', he just guesses what might happen and then frames it as if he's got inside knowledge, or reports what's already been reported elsewhere. Nothing against him, but I think it's just him guessing that Smith will be given the Brighton game, rather than him actually knowing anything.

1 hour ago, allani said:

I kind of agree with that second sentence.  I think our stock was pretty high in the summer and so we could have attracted an "up and coming" manager with the potential to join the managerial elite.  Decent transfer kitty, best keeper in England, most exciting English midfielder, strong youth set-up, etc.

Now we are probably too close to the relegation battle to attract that type of manager who might see the "risk" of damaging their reputation as being much higher than the "opportunity" we were in the summer.

I know plenty think that getting rid of Dean in the summer would have been harsh (and it would certainly have been ruthless) but this was always my worry.  I like the guy. He's done brilliantly to get us to where we were at the end of last season.  But we are just far too "hot" and "cold" under him and my worry has always been that at some point we don't have that "hot" spell.  Had we been more of a team that wins one, loses one, plays well and loses and then plays badly and wins (i.e. like most midtable teams) I may have been less concerned.  But we seem far more prone to long spells of bad form followed by good spells of awesome form.

I also worry that the best Newcastle could manage is Eddie Howe. 

I don't doubt a range of managers could get a boost out of the current crop and maybe that's what we will be forced into but I'm doubtful we are going to attract someone who will take us to that next step. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sack Smith just yet, but that article is by Ashley Preece, who I don't think has ever had any kind of 'ITK', he just guesses what might happen and then frames it as if he's got inside knowledge, or reports what's already been reported elsewhere. Nothing against him, but I think it's just him guessing that Smith will be given the Brighton game, rather than him actually knowing anything.

I really think if we give him the Brighton game it's a signal that we don't like the pool of available managers and are hoping someone becomes available or Smith starts winning a few games.

I've read that article and just come across a video that Preece posed after the game last night, I think it's obvious that he's just guessing about Smith being given the Brighton game, to be fair in the video he does say that it's his personal opinion that Smith will be given the Brighton game. He keeps mentionig Smith looking relaxed about his future in the press conference and talking about players coming back, so I think he's making his assumption partly based on the idea that that wouldn't be so if Smith was about to lose his job.