The_Steve

I can see Brighton falling off a cliff next season.

The core of their team is going to get hoovered up by the big boys, MacAllister/Caicedo/Mitoma e.t.c.

The extra weight of additional european fixtures.

Is De Zerbi a flash in the pan or the real deal?

It will be a big test of their much lauded recruitment model as to if they can push on from here.

Edited by AshVilla

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

It will be a big test of their much lauded recruitment model as to if they can push on from here.

They won't be able to push on. As you said they will lose their best players and its an impossible task to keep replacing them. Also they won't be able to pay the wages to finish any higher in the league. It's just the reality, unless you are willing to run the club at a loss Brighton, Leicester, Southampton etc. always hit a glass ceiling. No team will ever have a scouting network that consistently strikes gold. There is no magic moneyball formula. 

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

They won't be able to push on. As you said they will lose their best players and its an impossible task to keep replacing them. Also they won't be able to pay the wages to finish any higher in the league. It's just the reality, unless you are willing to run the club at a loss Brighton, Leicester, Southampton etc. always hit a glass ceiling. No team will ever have a scouting network that consistently strikes gold. There is no magic moneyball formula. 

I think Brighton have a better set up then Leicester and Southampton did. 

They have a conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Look at the players they lost, and whose then come in and replaced them, Bissouma, replaced by Caicedo, Cucurella replaced by Estipunan, Trossard replaced by Mitoma. 

They might lose McAllister but they are already blooding Enciso and Bounanotte to fill that role.

Evan Ferguson looks like he has a huge future in the game. 

Lost Graham Potter and whole back room staff for £20m and go out manager and get a free agent who’s done better. 

Brighton are set up way smarter and are not afraid to sell players as they have ready  made replacements in the wings, this isn’t something that is only one player deep, it’s probably like 5-10 Players across the youth levels and out on loan being milder to fill in and fit their system. 

• Like 2

I hate to say it about Brighton but it’s obvious they are an excellent team at the moment and a brilliant ran club however as others have said similar tings have been said about Leicester Southampton etc. if they lose Mac allistier yes they will get a lot of money but they will lose a player they have been slowly nurturing through over 3 years into the excellent player he is now and to replace that is hard and same goes for ciacado and Mitoma but none the less what they have done and how they have done it this year especially after the manager leaving is very impressive. It’s easy to mock Leeds or Everton for signing poor quality players for big money but it is refreshing to see that clever hard work can still pay off too 

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I think Brighton have a better set up then Leicester and Southampton did. 

They have a conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Look at the players they lost, and whose then come in and replaced them, Bissouma, replaced by Caicedo, Cucurella replaced by Estipunan, Trossard replaced by Mitoma. 

They might lose McAllister but they are already blooding Enciso and Bounanotte to fill that role.

Evan Ferguson looks like he has a huge future in the game. 

Lost Graham Potter and whole back room staff for £20m and go out manager and get a free agent who’s done better. 

Brighton are set up way smarter and are not afraid to sell players as they have ready  made replacements in the wings, this isn’t something that is only one player deep, it’s probably like 5-10 Players across the youth levels and out on loan being milder to fill in and fit their system. 

Only time will tell, but Southampton had all that as well. Great youth system (Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Luke Shaw). Finding diamonds in the rough and turning them into PL players (VVD, Mane, Lovren, Wanyama, Lallana, Hojberg). And lost good managers (Poch, Koeman). 

Unless Brighton offer better wages they will always lose their star players, and all it takes is a few duds replacing them.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 03:49, AshVilla said:

I can see Brighton falling off a cliff next season.

The core of their team is going to get hoovered up by the big boys, MacAllister/Caicedo/Mitoma e.t.c.

The extra weight of additional european fixtures.

Is De Zerbi a flash in the pan or the real deal?

With that in mind, signing a player like Milner seems totally unlike Brighton.

• 2 weeks later...

Great season for them but awkward for the fans seeing De Zerbi saying MacAllister and Caicedo deserve big moves. Big summer as one bad window and will fall apart

I do wonder if teams will cop on and think some people just fit the Brighton setup. Trossard, Potter, Bissouma, Cucarella and White havent shined elsewhere. I think Caicedo is going to make somebody look fooliah this summer for fee they will get

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Great season for them but awkward for the fans seeing De Zerbi saying MacAllister and Caicedo deserve big moves. Big summer as one bad window and will fall apart

I do wonder if teams will cop on and think some people just fit the Brighton setup. Trossard, Potter, Bissouma, Cucarella and White havent shined elsewhere. I think Caicedo is going to make somebody look fooliah this summer for fee they will get

Sounds like they are already gone.  

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He’s been one of the best defenders for the team that finished second in the league.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Brighton improve every season.

You'd have to wonder what their ceiling is?

They seem good enough to not fall backwards, will be the test for them, and potentially us, as to how Europe affects it, but they've got some good youngsters there and the vibe is so positive. De Zerbi was clearly a very good replacement on Potter. It's hard to call future top 4s. City obviously up there, but after City, it's not obvious who will be 2nd best. I'd expect United, Newcastle, Arsenal ourselves and Brighton, to be competitive, Liverpool too assuming they replace their squad sufficiently well enough. Chelsea with pochettino and a striker are going to be up there. Lot's of sides taking points from each other without ever being runaway stronger. Just a shame Man City exist really. 

Edited by Rodders

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cucarella is garbage.

White solid player, probably fair deal for both sides.

Trossard barely been at Arsenal a few months but has made several goal contributions.

Bissouma, injuries but I think may do better.

Potter was never a good fit for Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

MacAllister is very good player isn't he. Yes I tend to agree with you. The setup at Brighton makes them look better players than they really are. None of them players that they've sold have been that great. White ok but nothing more.  Trossard decent player who has done OK but he not the same level as Saka and Martenelli 

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

MacAllister is very good player isn't he. Yes I tend to agree with you. The setup at Brighton makes them look better players than they really are. None of them players that they've sold have been that great. White ok but nothing more.  Trossard decent player who has done OK but he not the same level as Saka and Martenelli 

MacAllister I think can step up but his fee will be sky high

• Like 1

They have the makings of a solid top 10 team, they have had an excellent season but are never going to break into the top 4 they just don't have the resources. It will be interesting to see how there league form is next season with the Europa league.

Â