Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/21 at 22:59

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Away loss to Spurs, not the end of the world.

You're right, it's not.

If we can beat them in the home fixture later this season then it will all even itself out.

Smith spoke about needing to pass the established teams this season, Spurs was always going to be a difficult game but I think we have a chance of still achieving that target.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You're right, it's not.

If we can beat them in the home fixture later this season then it will all even itself out.

Smith spoke about needing to pass the established teams this season, Spurs was always going to be a difficult game but I think we have a chance of still achieving that target.

Perhaps we should focus on our own passing.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, YLN said:

Ah Gregory's Graduates may have something to say about that. Battling with Chelsea for top spot until Christmas, when losses to Coventry and Blackburn and Newcastle put an end to that.

I think Deadly Doug refused to sanction an extra £500k for Robbie Keane, and Gregory wanted to buy Muzzy Izzet. After neither signing happened, the wheels came off. That's how I remember it anyways.

11 games unbeaten. Merson, Joachim, Dublin, Collymore even. The glory days

Top of the table after beating Spurs in October,  IIRC. But I meant top 4 range by the end of the season.

I'm not too worried by today's result.

What bothers me more is how much Dean talks about all the options he has and how it allows us to play so many different ways and to change things up.

Well, it needed changing today, and he waited until 80 minutes to change.  Too little too late.

For me, Nakamba had to play today to give us extra steel in the middle.  Today was an excellent example why so many wanted us to sign another centre mid - too often we get dominated in that area because Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey are all too similar and none offer any real steel.

Spurs have been on a dire run of form, and good old Aston Villa gave them the win they needed to pull out of it.

Biggest plus, Ollie scored.

• Like 4

Frustrating one today, though I'm at least somewhat encouraged that we can be so off form yet still stay in these games with a chance of getting something.

Just weren't consistent nor composed enough at all in possession, which is hopefully something that will improve with the more time Danks gets. McGinn and Ramsey weren't at it, Cash was wasteful and as much as I like Targett I think he lacks the kind of dynamism needed for a wing back role, all that together and suddenly you don't have much attacking impetus with this formation.

Hate to go into these breaks on a loss but looking forward to the Wolves game all the same where we can hopefully bounce back as we've tended to of late.

I think Deano should have bought Archer on for at least 15 today. We lacked a bit of pace on the break I think he might have given us a bit more zest in the final third. 

Other than that too many players below par today.

Shite today. Lost it in midfield. Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn were all shit so you're on to a loser.

Most disappointing thing was to get ourselves back in the game and then throw it away again immediately.

We didn't deserve anything from this. Bad day at the office. Work on things during the break and come back stronger

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Random note, I've always thought it's bizarre that none of the " Elite " teams have ever made a serious attempt for Son.

I'd have him over the likes of Kane all day, incredible player.

Did make me laugh on my commentary that they mentioned we best Spurs last season and thus Man City are the only elite team Smith hadn’t beaten as Villa manager … Spuds aren’t even an elite team in London 

• Like 1

Overreactions are running wild as per usual when we lose a game. Not that I'm surprised. This ridiculous privileged thinking is quite cringeworthy tbh. We are slowly building, and it shows. Yet we could have easily scraped a draw tonight. Furthermore, we weren't nearly as bad as some are making out. There are better days to come. Have some patience (and a few beers). 

Btw the formation was not the problem today. 

• Like 4

Thing is people saying we should have made changes yet the team has been playing well recently...

Standards slipped today but we should have got something from the game, hopefully we comeback stronger.

I think Buendia has deserved a start next game out too.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's not why we lost today. Our overall performance as a team was very poor. 

Spurs were equally poor. They have a world class forward with Son though. He carved us open multiple times in the 2nd half. 

I was at the game and I'm disappointed with the result because Spuds were there for the taking, but in all honesty we played very poorly.

We're not utilising our attacking threats with this current formation and after the international break we need to go to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

We also need to stop relying on these long throws - we looked a lot like a Pulis Stoke team at times today with how long we took to take those throws. And in the first half especially it was long ball after long ball. When we actually played some decent football we finally scored a goal. 

Buendia looked good when he came on, he needs to replace Ramsey in the team for the next game. Traore looked a bit shite but did do one dangerous bit of play, I think he could do with coming into the team too. Hause was at fault for the 2nd goal and hopefully now this 5-3-2 experiment ends.

My team for Wolves would be: Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Bailey (if fit), Traore, Watkins. Ings to be benched as the game is just passing him by currently to be honest. 

Â