Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/21 at 22:59

Just now, Bizzzle said:

I don't think we were as bad as some were making out in the match thread but still pretty sloppy. I think fans may have just been over confident after last week's win it was always going to be a difficult game

They were really up for this. We wernt great but sometimes you have to give the opposition credit. They won the battle. I’ll also say it again. Son is something else. 

• Like 2

We let them play, we let them look like a prime Barcelona, just like we do with many teams, Spurs have been rubbish recently, and once again we let them show their "class".

We have two strikers on the pitch, but start with zero creative players in the first 11.

Passing was dire, no composure, just shockingly bad.

Dont tell me that midfield 3 is good, once again we let teams just run straight through us, so we dont defend properly, but we also have zero creativity in that midfield, what a mess.

If we arent playing with two of Buendia, Traore and Bailey after the international break (depending on who is fit), i will wonder what our thinking is.

Sorry, just completely unacceptable, a mess, on a day where Spurs players can finish, that would have been 4 or 5 - 1.

Just now, gilbertoAVFC said:

We were absolute dross, no excuses, and we wouldn't have scored anyway.

However, I do not understand how the ref can blow on 94:57 when the ball was in-play for about 20 seconds of stoppage time?

I voted the ref poor, who I thought had a decent game, on this basis alone.

Phantom fouls, blowing early, he clearly just wanted to go home.

Very disappointing today in the end.

Started off incredibly well, but as usual, wasted all our early dominance and chances. Gave the ball away cheaply.

Allowed them to regain their confidence and composure, then come back to control the game.

If we were ruthless, we would take alot more points.

Anyway, let's remember we are still a team in transition and with some young players.

Unfortunately, that affects consistency as well.

But yes, you can definitely see that some more quality is needed to make a further step up, despite how excited we get, by the brilliant performances.

We currently sit 10th, so all things considered, and opposition played so far, probably about right.

Ollie getting his goal should be massive going forward for us as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Not at our best, and a bit of a reminder that we're going to have to work hard to finish well in this league. We looked perhaps a little bit too confident.

I thought Hause and Luiz were probably our best two, Cash did okay but the end product was poor and Targett worked hard; there's lots to do to find the right shape and pattern for the right games going forward.

I thought when Hause went off and we brought on the wingers we were less threatening - we then needed to rely on our midfield to develop play and create things, which is the thing we hadn't been able to do all game. Buendia didn't really grab the game by the scruff of the neck and Traore couldn't find the space to affect it.

Spurs got everything right tactically and played well, fair play to them, but we were still in it right to the end, even on an off day. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Dogturd. Hoof down the channels, hoof down the channels, hoof down the channels. Thought Smith liked to play football!?

We don't have a style and we don't consistently win because of it. When I've been old enough to watch we have never played in a consistent way. And we have never played as a team. That's the issue. I don't know what it is, but we have never played a style of football even when managers have successfully instilled it at other clubs as well. 

Gave Son too much space the whole game. Ball wouldn't stick to mcginn or Ramsey at all. McGinn had a shocker and I think we suffered because of that. Felt we waited too long to get Buendia on and then when he was brought on our shape meant he couldn’t have an impact anyway. We would have benefited from going to a back four about 20 minutes earlier. I don’t want to see that back 5 again for a few games now. We can’t isolate Ollie and Ings and expect them to work off long balls and desperate crossing from our wing backs. Glad to see Ollie get his goal. Team set up cost us today and that was clear about 30 minutes in. 

Very reminiscent of a game we lost to spurs years ago, where the difference between the two teams was Rafael Van der Vaart - this time it was Son. 

It's important to note that spurs played well today. They knew how we were going to line up and obviously had a plan ready and they executed it effectively. 

It showed the limitations of that system and if I'm honest, I'd much rather we went back to having wingers and one striker. We need that creativity and guile in the attacking third to break teams down. 

• Like 1

Â