Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/21 at 22:59

Apart from the first 5 minutes and the equaliser we never looked like winning this game.  Martinez kept the score down made it look like a narrow spurs win - Really they strolled it.

Hause is a good player to step in as cover but he shouldn't be a regular start of choice.

Really not sure why we brought Ings - it gives a selection problem where we have one of our best players - Shoehorning those pair in - keeps players like BT and AEG (who score a fair quote of goals) out of the side.

Team selection backfired today. But this is a midtable villa team/squad

Just annoying that we left the changes so late. All through the first half we could see that the 3 at the back wasn't working, but was only changed in the 80th minute. Buendia for JJ should've been made earlier too. Dog shit performance. 

Really disappointing.  I could see how Spurs's goals were going to happen about 5 seconds before they scored, they were so obvious.  Credit to Son obviously, he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.  Still, no point getting too down about it.

I thought this formation was in part due to injuries but also useful against the big boys where we need to contain and press.

We beat Spurs last season with an attacking wide formation, we could have played that here with any two of Buendia, Traore or Anwar in the side, Spurs give you space to play, all we did was make it easy for them to over power us on the break.

Edited by VillanousOne

Still getting this right, still have Bailey to come back and he will be a very important player for us.

3-5-2 didn’t really deliver today, that’s a lesson. We had the personnel to win this today but they were given less than 20 minutes.

Away from home and we weren’t great but we were not poor or particularly outplayed. That’s progress I guess?

Typical Villa, an excellent United result followed by a woeful performance against a nervy Spurs team who were there for the taking. Apart from our goal, that showing was complete and utter relegation level wank. McGinn's energy is great, but his passing is shit and dangerously so. Loads of balls floated out of play by several of our players and Luiz constantly failing to beat the first man with his set pieces - seems that magic has worn off. Only two positives today - Watkins off the mark and Martinez keeping us alive again. Wank.

Edited by Lerner's Driver

Just now, Robtaylor200 said:

Ings and Watkins isnt working. INMO Ings needs to be in the box.

I would rather play Ollie up front and put on another midfielder, or Ings up front and play another winger. 

the problem i think, is playing 2 strikers, but not playing a single creative player anywhere else in the team to create chances or moments.

To have Bailey (when he was fit), Buendia and Traore, on the bench, when we have no creativity in the first 11, is criminal.

• Like 1

Deserved defeat. We were sloppy and it seemed our game plan was to just hope that whatever worked the previous games would somehow work here as well just because. How many times did we just send the ball over the touchline without any pressure?  

Edited by MackHaakon

Is anyone really surprised by that performance, never mind result? What separates good teams from average teams is consistency. And we are arguably the least consistent team in the league, being Champions League one week and barely Championship the next. It is a complete lottery as to our performance levels. So many bad performances from a host of players today; Luiz was World Class last week, this week he'd have been hauled off in League One clash.

Very poor football. Million miles away from what is required.

Too much reliance on long throws and long balls over the top.  Reminded me of a Burnley team. 

Ings and Watkins not working for me. Need more composure/creativity/control with the ball.

Â