Pre Match Thread

maqroll

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I think this is a key game: a loss would suggest we could have been getting carried away; a win (if in the same vein as the last three performances) would suggest a growing belief and suggestion we are onto something.

A lot of pundits reckon Nuno is a just a bad fit, and their stats are terrible so far, but they have plenty talent and if we keep missing chances they have plenty of players with a worldie in them.

I am feeling optimistic though, I think we are improving and unlucky not to have scored more goals so if that turns the corner we are a formidable proposition. I think today could be that day and we win by a few goals: Spurs 0-3 Villa. Watkins, Ings and Konsa. That would be a very good result on lots of levels.

The game I fear is West Ham so hopefully we build towards that positively.

I think if we want to have an outside chance of a Europa place this is the type of game we need to win.

• Like 1

After few good performances we are probably due a bad one, also Spurs will be fired up to react to the manner of their derby loss.

With that in mind, I would take a draw. 1:1 would keep us in top ten and keep the momentum going. 

• Like 1

I still think with our current formation we're too reliant on Ings or Watkins to score from open play, and if they don't scoring from a set piece. Ramsey, McGinn or Luiz are unlikely to score.

If we stick with 3 CBs I'd like to see more of a 3-4-3 like this:

Martinez

Konsa Axel/Hause Mings

Cash McGinn Luiz Targett

Traore Watkins/Ings Buendia

Alternatively play 3-4-1-2 with Buendia behind Ings and Watkins instead of Ramsey. 

We should go back to a flat back four when Bailey is available anyway but for now I think 3-4-3 gets more potential goalscorers on the pitch. Whether Smith does it today who knows. 

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I still think with our current formation we're too reliant on Ings or Watkins to score from open play, and if they don't scoring from a set piece. Ramsey, McGinn or Luiz are unlikely to score.

I get what you are saying and kind of agree, but Ings and Watkins are not scoring from open play (one 1 goals from open play between them this season) and we are still scoring goals and doing well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get what you are saying and kind of agree, but Ings and Watkins are not scoring from open play (one 1 goals from open play between them this season) and we are still scoring goals and doing well. 

We are but I think we have potential to score more with the players on the bench. Bailey is obviously injured, but I'd like to get Buendia or Traore in for one of the CMs so we have a bit more creativity and goal threat. Just got to make sure we stay defensively solid at the same time. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

We are but I think we have potential to score more with the players on the bench. Bailey is obviously injured, but I'd like to get Buendia or Traore in for one of the CMs so we have a bit more creativity and goal threat. Just got to make sure we stay defensively solid at the same time. 

Yes, I dod agree, I did say I 'kind of agree'. My problem is that although I agree with what u are saying the team is proving me wrong. When we have a game where we can't score we can get on our moral high horse and say Smith got it completely wrong 😀.

I have high hopes for Buendia, I really rate Traore and there is no need to say what any of us think of Bailey. I can't wait to see the 3 of them in the starting 11 for Villa. Fitting in the rest of the players that are playing so well at the moment is going to be a real struggle for DS

• Like 1

Will be missing the first half minimum today unfortunately. I have a pretty good feeling about this game. Looking at form we should be the favourites here but Spurs are no pushovers imo even though they seem very flat under Nuno. Would take a point honestly. UTV!

13 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

It worries me that we are all so confident. If Spurs turn up this will be a really tough game. Win this we will have got 9/12 points against Chelsea, Everton, Man Utd and Spurs. Fantastic points return!! 

Even better is if we win 9/9 from Everton Manure Spurs :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Personally think Spurs will be well up for it after their horrific showing against Arsenal. Irrespective of their form, Kane and Son are very good players and can hurt any team out of the blue. I reckon we’ll suffer a narrow loss - 1 or 2 goals in it.

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we did win - that’s how well we’re doing at the moment. 

We can be as confident of a win as we want, it’s not us that’s playing. Dean will have the team well prepared for this, they won’t be getting carried away and they’ll know what they need to do to win. Whether that happens is open to chance, anything can happen in a game to destroy even the best laid plans. I believe Smith is a better manager than Nuno, he’s had his number before and can again today. 

If we bring a performance like against Chelsea and United we’ll cause them real problems but I just can’t see Spurs playing quite as bad as they have for another game. 

I'll say score draw with Kane inevitably getting his first league goal of the season. 

"If you have a problem (poor run of form), if no one else can help (lost to relegation fodder), and if you can find them....maybe you can play The A-Team (Aston Villa)"

I think we will win today, but I could not help post this

To clarify, this was posted on another forum in reference to Villas ability to be the team to end other teams runs of bad form.

Edited by flashingqwerty
Clarification