Pre Match Thread

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

No reason to change it today. I think with the international break he will get them practising 433 to get Buendia, Traore and Bailey ready. 

I hope you're right about this, I want Buendia and Bailey to start again ASAP and Traore to come on from the bench earlier in games (like after 65 mins for example).

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Ramsey imo.

But if Buendia isnt fully fit/up to speed then ofc i wouldnt, but ofc i dont know so hey ho.

Buendia has underwhelmed every time he’s played. Ramsey has balanced that midfield 3 perfectly and we’ve seen McGinn and Luiz look back to their very best because of it. Would be mad to disrupt that atm

• Like 2

I remember Deano making a comment last season that was along the lines if"when I look at our bench I see quality".

Obviously it was utter bullshit, but this season we genuinely do have players who can change things up.

Knowing that we can react to games once they start to unfold is one of the biggest signs of improvement for me.

3-1 Villa. Kane scores first, we come back, then level until 65 minutes, Buendia comes on and sets up two.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Ramsey imo.

But if Buendia isnt fully fit/up to speed then ofc i wouldnt, but ofc i dont know so hey ho.

I don't think Buendia can play as an eight, he's a right winger or a ten. I think in the current formation, the only players he replaces are the front two.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Bailey is fit - I think we'll revert to four at the back to make room for him and bring Buendia back in on the other side, but which of the front two to drop to do that will be a huge question.

• Like 2

We all know Smith believes in letting players keep the shirt. He'll keep this team if results keep going our way, unless someone really forces their way into the side with an amazing performance off the bench.

I think psychologically it works well, and all the players on the bench know that they'll get a fair crack eventually. Hause is a good example of that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Buendia can play as an eight, he's a right winger or a ten. I think in the current formation, the only players he replaces are the front two.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Bailey is fit - I think we'll revert to four at the back to make room for him and bring Buendia back in on the other side, but which of the front two to drop to do that will be a huge question.

Yep, Deano said in a recent interview there’ll be games where one of those front 2 wont be playing alluding to reverting back to 4-4-3/4-2-3-1. Id imagine his son, Ollie Watkins, would get the nod more often than not

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

We all know Smith believes in letting players keep the shirt. He'll keep this team if results keep going our way, unless someone really forces their way into the side with an amazing performance off the bench.

I think psychologically it works well, and all the players on the bench know that they'll get a fair crack eventually. Hause is a good example of that.

Except when Dross Barkley comes back in for 5 in 5 AEG 🤫