Pre Match Thread

maqroll

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I would play that system but Mings on the left and Hause centrally....and depending on the score, bring Bailey on for Targett in an assymetrical arrangement.

This but Bidace on instead of Bailey, The kids on fire and deserves a chance plus Bailey is injured.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 10:11, smg said:

There is rotation and there is changing the team for the sake of it. At the moment I think it is better to have a settled winning team, the rotation can be used later in the season when players are tired. They are not tired at the moment some aren’t even match fit, it’s a great option to be able to rotate which we haven’t had before but only at the right time.

We also have the option of changing mid game......i.e start off tight and introduce attacking options when the initiative of the game has been secured.

I don't understand the anxiety of fitting all the players in....its a squad game now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tinker said:

This but Bidace on instead of Bailey, The kids on fire and deserves a chance plus Bailey is injured.

He is a wonderful talent, but he has to understand and appreciate the game without the ball....his time will come.

In an effort to score goals, we could leave ourselves wide open.....We have already exhibited, what happens when we tighten up, 2 clean sheets and a more controlled midfield....clean sheets breed confidence, (not saying its the only thing that does), but its so important.

The goals will come, we are doing it right.

On 27/09/2021 at 12:55, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I love how every other club if you see online or hear down the pub, they all say Villa will be a hard game now. Just that recognition is enough for me now, we are in that place now where we command respect. Anyone can see how well run we are now, how well we recruit, and how we’ve transitioned away from Grealish pretty seamlessly. 

Cant imagine Spuds will be as bad as they were yesterday, certainly not at home. Kane cant keep stinking the place out either so he’ll probably notch a penalty or something.

I cant wait to see this side keep developing; think we’ve looked brilliant since that Chelsea league game and will go there full of hope and optimism and maybe some expectation to win.

predicting another good performance but a 2-2 scoreline

Its great to talk about the progress and its right to do so.....but the other teams in this league are no mugs, sure we will come across teams having an iffy time, like spurs.....but a wounded Lion is dangerous.

We need to be cautious of getting carried away, we can beat anyone, but as Watford and Brentford have shown, don't under estimate the opposition.....i.e Crystal Palace & Brighton was hard fought out last night, there's no easy fixtures, in this league.

I think we need to keep the same team against Spurs, grow in to the game, on the back of a clean sheet and tweak things as necessary.

It will be a tough game.....they will all be smarting, we need to be on our guard.

• Like 2

I literally can see no way of us not beating them comfortably.  I am getting carried away, but on paper their running stats are awful, ours are great, their set piece defending is awful, our set pieces are great, we're in great form, they are not.

One day I will learn this means that we will lose, but that day is not today - 0-3 UTV

• Like 3

I don't know if any response strikes me as more obligatory and perfectly English than "let's not get carried away" after Saturday,  but ... I'm all for getting carried away, today, on a Claret-hued wave of manic excitement. I guess I'm practically begging to have my hubristic dreams smashed to bits, but I think we're going to win. That said, this match feels less consequential than, say, the Everton match. That seemed like a kind of fulcrum or tipping point. This feels like it could go either way, but Tottenham definitely is in the hot seat, so I fear they might be more motivated than us.

58 minutes ago, Adman said:

I literally can see no way of us not beating them comfortably.  I am getting carried away, but on paper their running stats are awful, ours are great, their set piece defending is awful, our set pieces are great, we're in great form, they are not.

One day I will learn this means that we will lose, but that day is not today - 0-3 UTV

I like this very empirical, stats-based approach to the madness of football guesses, especially followed by the battle-cry-like "that day is not today!" Didn't Aragon or someone say that in LOTR before facing a million snaggle-toothed orcs? I'm gonna run with that.   

On 27/09/2021 at 04:20, Peter Griffin said:

They have more than Son that is scary, let's just hope that Nuno continues to be unable to get them to play as a team. When they click as a team they will be a top 6 PL side

This would be my instinctive reply as well, but out of interest who in their side do you think would get in ours? I think Kane, Son, Reguilon. That’s it. I don’t want to be overconfident because… well… it’s Spurs and they have been better than us for 10+ years… but I look at their team and I don’t see the talent I would expect.

I’m sensing a draw because they can’t be as bad as I think they are…

On 27/09/2021 at 18:27, maqroll said:

Would love to go into the break with another W.

They are rivals, and if we want to challenge for 5th, they are the type of side that must be dispatched. 

I don’t think we will be anywhere near 5th. Think 8th-10th is the target for improvement on last season. Mind you I don’t think Spurs will be anywhere near 5th either.

24 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think we will be anywhere near 5th. Think 8th-10th is the target for improvement on last season. Mind you I don’t think Spurs will be anywhere near 5th either.

I know you're probably right, but I like to daydream. We did just beat Man Utd away.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This would be my instinctive reply as well, but out of interest who in their side do you think would get in ours? I think Kane, Son, Reguilon. That’s it. I don’t want to be overconfident because… well… it’s Spurs and they have been better than us for 10+ years… but I look at their team and I don’t see the talent I would expect.

I’m sensing a draw because they can’t be as bad as I think they are…

I think Ndombele, Royal would give Cash a run for his money, Hojbjerg would probably get into our 1st 11. I would love Skipp at Villa, he is a good prospect, still only 20. But I think that both Kane & Son are elite players it pushes them that bit higher than we are and into top 6. But it is a good point you are making, they are not miles ahead of us