January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, duke313 said:

Look at Chelsea, their youth setup is starting to pay off.  They have about 5 academy players in first team squad, 2 of which are arguably star players.  It takes time, and not all of them will make it, but the ones that don't can be sold for profit.

Indeed remember the days o keeping prospects into their early 20’s and releasing them on a free 🤦🏿 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This confirms the need to follow a Leicester style recruitment policy. Selling Grealish allowed us to strengthen the squad considerably. I'm not saying we have to produce another 100m player to sell, but if we buy high potential younger footballers for reasonable fees then we could hope to make a 3 or 4 x profit on them to progress as a club. 

When big Keinan comes back from his loan, hopefully he's done enough to secure a 75 mill transfer to Newcastle.

I'll even make the video presentation for " The Jamaican Haaland "

* Everyone knows I love Keinan really. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Might be contraversial but I'd have Luiz or Ramsey over McGinn in that line up.

Ramsey MAYBE, Luiz, defo not.

In reality, an in form Mcginn on his A game is the best of the lot currently IMO.

Ramsey has the potential.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When big Keinan comes back from his loan, hopefully he's done enough to secure a 75 mill transfer to Newcastle.

I'll even make the video presentation for " The Jamaican Haaland "

* Everyone knows I love Keinan really. 

He is older, surely its the Norweigan Davis

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ramsey MAYBE, Luiz, defo not.

In reality, an in form Mcginn on his A game is the best of the lot currently IMO.

Ramsey has the potential.

I just think Luiz has more consistency and composure (and Ramsey more potential and more mobility) to make that formation work. He could help the defensive guy (Bissouma in this case) do his job but also link up with Coutinho so that he can pull the strings with the three other attacking players. Don't get me wrong, I love McGinn but he frustrates as much as delights. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Another name into the hat for the CDM role could be Nicolas Dominguez. We’re not linked, but he might be gettable? 

Yes but if we go and get another Argie we'll need another Brazilian to even things up. 

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

James Tarkowski anyone?

Unless Burnley are shutting up shop then no. They’re goosed after losing Chris Wood, but selling Tarkowski too would be a total surrender. 

Seen a lot talk about a sudden change of transfers policy in last week or so, don't see it myself.

This can only be a natural evolution of our long term policy.

We started by bringing young players with great potential, that could jump straight into the side.

We started to flood our youth system with players that had a serious chance of making the step up.(which we continue to do)

Surely we are at the stage now where our young potential are at the point where we now ready start to put stars around them and that's exactly what we have started to do this window so far.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Seen a lot talk about a sudden change of transfers policy in last week or so, don't see it myself.

This can only be a natural evolution of our long term policy.

We started by bringing young players with great potential, that could jump straight into the side.

We started to flood our youth system with players that had a serious chance of making the step up.(which we continue to do)

Surely we are at the stage now where our young potential are at the point where we now ready start to put stars around them and that's exactly what we have started to do this window so far.

Agreed.

Better first team players will only have a positive effect on the youth team.

I know some want us to throw loads of youth players in as soon as possible, but the priority has to be for us to be a consistent Top 8 team that challenges for European spots every season.

To do that we need to improve the first team with experience and quality, which is what we’re doing now thankfully.

• Like 1

so, even with the Digne purchase, our net spend for the 21/22 season is still effectively net zero (possibly a net spend of a couple of million depending on how you read the figures).

How much money do we think we have remaining? (as a season budget), 40/50/60/70/80m+?, how much of this will we spend in Jan do we think?

I kinda think we should ensure we put aside enough aside to make Coutinho's move permanent (if he performs), without impacting next years budget, so if we have 80m this year, only spend 50m odd so we can slide that money to Barca for him in the summer.

Yeah, I think it's been obvious that we need to spend more money on quality to push us up into European contention.  We did a great job building a solid, mid-table Premier League squad of promising players who had room to grow and develop under solid coaching, but we'll only get so far under that philosophy.  Other teams who have tried this approach in the past (Southampton, Swansea, etc.) never really sustained their success once their best players were poached from them.  The only teams who managed to stay up on that end of the table (Leicester, Spurs, etc) have spent big on actual quality players to replace those they sold on.  Gerrard's appointment has accelerated this transition a bit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Awol said:

Unless Burnley are shutting up shop then no. They’re goosed after losing Chris Wood, but selling Tarkowski too would be a total surrender. 

But in one sense, they are only delaying the inevitable ain't they mate?

I actually wonder if Newcastle would have been better off going for Dyche over howe?