January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is likely going to be 100% BS. But, may as well continue speculating as it's the last day of the window.

So this account...

Apparently knew about Ings signing the day before it happened. Do I believe it? Nah, not really. But figured I'd share cos you know, not much else going on. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Craigy1874 said:

Our inability to fill that position is baffling and frustrating.

Yep . We seem to have an inability to spend big in central midfield. Unless Gerrard is uninterested in anything other than a grade A star for the position and that is what we are waiting for. And in that scenario i think we lose out to those who can offer Chumps league. Extremely baffling and extremely frustrating

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is likely going to be 100% BS. But, may as well continue speculating as it's the last day of the window.

So this account...

Apparently knew about Ings signing the day before it happened. Do I believe it? Nah, not really. But figured I'd share cos you know, not much else going on. 

according to Ings his own family didnt know about the transfer a day before it happened so i very much doubt this

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Oh man! I’ve only just got my head around 6’s and 8’s, and now you’re telling me there’s a 100?! 

Its even worse when you realise that a 6, is really a 4...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If we don't get a 6 & an 8 who can play in a double pivot regista or mezzala I will hate NSWE for ever.

NSWE OUT 

Double PIVOT

Calm down Ross

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I like your optimism, and indeed those signings are great, but the problems we had controlling the game, liberating the ball and actually getting it to the world class front 3 at the start of the season are still there. You could have Messi up front but if the b***ard doesn’t touch the ball all game he may as well be Hogan.

It’s a fundamental cog in the machine that’s missing, and we don’t get Marv back until, what, late March? 

Luiz will do his best (if he’s here), and it will be ok, but unless we sort this we will have half a team’s worth of wasted potential.

With the best will in the world - trying to get the ball to a front three of AEG, Watkins and Trez is a lot harder than getting it to a front three of Coutinho, Buendia and Watkins simply because the latter make themselves available in better positions and are less likely to immediately lose the ball.  Also there is no point winning the ball back if your front 3 are not capable of holding onto the ball when you get it.

I think we have seen two issues recently that have summed up our challenge in the middle of the park.

The second half of the Everton match showed that we won the ball back plenty of times but then failed to keep hold of it, kept giving the ball back to the opposition and inviting them back onto us.

The first 30 minutes of the Man Utd game showed that when teams are dominating possession we can struggle to get the ball back off them. 

I think the signing of Coutinho and Digne will help address both of these issues because for the first half of the Everton game and second half of the Man Utd game we dominated possession and consequently also found it easier to win the ball back because the opposition were having to play longer balls that Luiz was better able to read and intercept (he was actually brilliant in the second half of that match rather than OK) and JJ / McGinn / Sansom were able to harrass their opposite numbers into making mistakes without necessarily having to tackle them.  I am coming around to the idea that we don't need an upgrade on Marv (i.e. a good tackler but who can then hold onto the ball or pass it more effectively) but that a version of McGinn or Luiz who is more comfortable playing slightly deeper than they are.  Dominating possession is our "strategy" rather than winning possession back.  The more you dominate possession the easier it is to win the ball back because your opponents are fooled into trying to play too quickly when they do get the ball (exactly what we did against Everton second half).  We do need that extra player but I think we have definitely more than half-solved the problem this window.

So in short I think we are somewhere between the optimistic 10/10 window view and your opinion that we haven't addressed the midfield issue at all.  I think our midfield 3 is stronger than it was before the start of the window - even though we haven't signed anyone in that position because Digne and Coutinho will make it easier for the midfield 3 to retain possession.  A new deeper midfielder (as opposed to necessarily a defensive midfielder) would make the window pretty much perfect but it has still been the best window I can remember for many a year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Been busy for a few hours, anything happening and is there anything reading on here?

😘

Our Communications Director, Tommy D, told Rob Dorset to piss off up the road. Presumably because we’re not signing anyone today. Of course, we all know that’s what he wants us to think :ph34r:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If we don't get a 6 & an 8 who can play in a double pivot regista or mezzala I will hate NSWE for ever.

NSWE OUT 

Double PIVOT

Last day to Regista.