January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

7 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Agreed for the most part.

Digne, Tagliafico, Gomez and Coutinho all worry me quite a bit. For a variety of reasons.

Hoping the media don't know what they're talking about - but they have a habit of being right when we don't want them to be at times.

The short-termism of most of them is what would  bug me most, we've improved every year so far with our 22-25yo signings and planning for the future, this year's been a blip for sure - but  I'd hoped we won't throw the playbook out the window because Jack left and our form dipped.

On paper, Gomez, Coutinho and Digne would all be good signings. Other clubs would sit up and take notice of those - particularly after Ings and Buendia in the summer. But I feel like we'd stagnate and then wind up having to go and sign the 22-25yo in 18 months time anyway. We may aswell save ourselves the money and hassle and do it now.

You do realise Gomez is 24? Coutinho would be a 6 month loan not a signing and Digne is hardly over the hill at 28

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Agreed for the most part.

Digne, Tagliafico, Gomez and Coutinho all worry me quite a bit. For a variety of reasons.

Hoping the media don't know what they're talking about - but they have a habit of being right when we don't want them to be at times.

The short-termism of most of them is what would  bug me most, we've improved every year so far with our 22-25yo signings and planning for the future, this year's been a blip for sure - but  I'd hoped we won't throw the playbook out the window because Jack left and our form dipped.

On paper, Gomez, Coutinho and Digne would all be good signings. Other clubs would sit up and take notice of those - particularly after Ings and Buendia in the summer. But I feel like we'd stagnate and then wind up having to go and sign the 22-25yo in 18 months time anyway. We may aswell save ourselves the money and hassle and do it now.

Building for the future is all well and good, but if the fans turn after a run of bad results, and the manager is ousted, I wonder what appetite either the current manager or the fans have to put long term building blocks in place.

Fans cannot abide short term failure even if it brings long term results. That’s football. Or at least that’s Villa.

Gerrard hasn’t come here with a five year plan but with the intention of success within the next 2/3 seasons.  All of our first team eleven are under 30, with only Ashley Young in the squad over this. We do lack experience.

If he wants some senior pro’s in right now, I’d have no problem it as long as we don’t do any “Shay Given” type contracts. Under this regime I don’t think we will. Digne would be a fine addition.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 4

Imagine Grealish, Coutinho and Firmino signing. We'd be unbelievably positioned to finish top half and even push for Europa league. Providing chemistry went half decently. 

I know its not going to happen but one can dream right?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You do realise Gomez is 24? Coutinho would be a 6 month loan not a signing and Digne is hardly over the hill at 28

I did say a variety of reasons. Not necessarily all to do with their ages and I did say they'd all be good signings on paper, I'm just not sure any of them take us where we want to go. Out of the lot of probably be most comfortable with Gomez I think he'd be a big upgrade on Axel and Hause. What I'm not convinced on is whether he could upgrade Konsa or Mings. But depends on what Gerrard wants that signing to do!

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Building for the future is all well and good, but if the fans turn after a run of bad results, and the manager is ousted, I wonder what appetite either the current manager or the fans have to put long term building blocks in place.

Fans cannot abide short term failure even if it brings long term results. That’s football. Or at least that’s Villa.

I think we need the right blend of younger and experienced players. I've no issue with us signing experienced Premier League players who we know can make an immediate impact and who have at least 3+ years at the top level left. Ings, Digne, Romeu all fit the bill for players who can make a direct impact but aren't 25 or under.

I think a couple of proven Premier League players might be what we need to drive the standards and bring a level of competition and some bite to the team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Imagine Grealish, Coutinho and Firmino signing. We'd be unbelievably positioned to finish top half and even push for Europa league. Providing chemistry went half decently. 

Just the £900k/w in added wages + any transfer fee, no biggie.

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Offer City a deal for Grealish. Please.

Please no ..... we want to go forward, not backward. Jack's best days are over ..... he's a spent force !

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Please no ..... we want to go forward, not backward. Jack's best days are over ..... he's a spent force !

Jack's best days were this time last year. I don't agree with the other poster either but it's only this past summer the country was crying out for him at the Euros

Jack Grealish would obviously improve us immensely but it's not happening, and it would be bittersweet if he ever returned this side of 30 IMO. Because the obvious question would be, well, wtf did you bother to leave and kill our momentum in the first place? I don't think he'd do it, nor would City countenance a sale back to us.

Gomez - yes please. Definitely improves our defence. Digne - maybe? He doesn't fully convince me tbh, there must be better out there for the same or less money.

Coutinho, no chance IMO. He's a big time charlie, he's not joining Aston Villa, sorry to say. If true that Arsenal are interested, he'll go there.

41 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

One strange dream

17 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I did say a variety of reasons. Not necessarily all to do with their ages and I did say they'd all be good signings on paper, I'm just not sure any of them take us where we want to go. Out of the lot of probably be most comfortable with Gomez I think he'd be a big upgrade on Axel and Hause. What I'm not convinced on is whether he could upgrade Konsa or Mings. But depends on what Gerrard wants that signing to do!

Would he (Gomez) really that much of an upgrade on Hause ?  - he isn't anywhere near the Liverpool first 11. He looks a considerable downgrade on England international Mings, similar for Konsa. His fee is also likely to dwarf the 3 or 4m we paid for Hause.  Would seem a bit of a nothing purchase for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

IMO that is a terrible deal for us

i dont want to sign him but taking him on loan is even worse

An the petty side in me would also hate to help Barcelona with their finances. Especially since he'd need us to improve about 2 league places on his own for us to financially break even on the deal since he's on £380k/w

• Like 2