January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree and I wouldn’t complain if we end mid table. But I do think there’s a slight hope to push on, we can always dream right?

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Glass half empty. Standard Villa fan. 

Its why Villa Park don’t always help us.

I think the second is a bit harsh.  I think for a very long time Villa has underachieved even against the most pessimistic Villa fans expectations and only moments of glory have we seen.

I think in terms of the first comment, my view is purely based on the squad.  Even at the beginning of the season I thought the same and still feel the same now.  We have quite a few holes in the team, from individual mistakes, strength and pace on the left wing from the LB, the weakness at defensive midfield and then creativity…with Buendia taking time to get up to speed, Bailey and Traore always injured.  Our depth is better but still not great and then there are other teams much more prepared and overall better quality to achieve those European places.

We must aim for those positions of European places but for me we are still building to seriously challenge them.  I also worry that outside of Martinez, who is the next level quality player.  We have some really fine players and some will move into the next level like Konsa but we miss having some now.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think the second is a bit harsh.  I think for a very long time Villa has underachieved even against the most pessimistic Villa fans expectations and only moments of glory have we seen.

I think in terms of the first comment, my view is purely based on the squad.  Even at the beginning of the season I thought the same and still feel the same now.  We have quite a few holes in the team, from individual mistakes, strength and pace on the left wing from the LB, the weakness at defensive midfield and then creativity…with Buendia taking time to get up to speed, Bailey and Traore always injured.  Our depth is better but still not great and then there are other teams much more prepared and overall better quality to achieve those European places.

We must aim for those positions of European places but for me we are still building to seriously challenge them.  I also worry that outside of Martinez, who is the next level quality player.  We have some really fine players and some will move into the next level like Konsa but we miss having some now.

Fair enough mate but a full VP isn’t enough if there’s still not enough belief. We need to really get behind this team because it’s better than the shit we have seen for years.  Make VP a fortress and we’re half way there. 

Not thinking we will get in to Europe is fine. Already writing us off for it so not wanting us to spend in January for assumed cast offs is very negative in my opinion.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough mate but a full VP isn’t enough if there’s still not enough belief. We need to really get behind this team because it’s better than the shit we have seen for years.  Make VP a fortress and we’re half way there. 

Not thinking we will get in to Europe is fine. Already writing us off for it so not wanting us to spend in January for assumed cast offs is very negative in my opinion.

Gems are rare in the Jan window though. The market (with one two exceptions) seems for clubs overpaying to get out of dire straights or covering major injuries.

Wait and see. I think our net spend will be close to zero - we have a few who we need to move on before adding 

Merry Christmas all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Gems are rare in the Jan window though. The market (with one two exceptions) seems for clubs overpaying to get out of dire straights or covering major injuries.

Wait and see. I think our net spend will be close to zero - we have a few who we need to move on before adding 

Merry Christmas all.

Fair point.  Merry Christmas !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hippo said:

Replacement for Nkambia ? Seriously ?

I think Stevie G needs to learn we aren't Liverpool and can spend £200m when we are a bit bored.

I wouldn't be throwing a lot of cash at this window tbh.

Deadly Serious.

I don't think we will throw a lot of cash at this window, but crucial additions are necessary.

Merry Xmas.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I too don't see much happening in Jan, two at most you would think, if that. I don't feel we are strong enough for Europe either and it'll take more than a January to bridge the gap.

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 12:51, hippo said:

Replacement for Nkambia ? Seriously ?

I think Stevie G needs to learn we aren't Liverpool and can spend £200m when we are a bit bored.

I wouldn't be throwing a lot of cash at this window tbh.

Had a few over the festive period have we?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's what I'm fearing to be honest.

Seen where it got Bournemouth.

You’d like to think Gerrard would absolutely know who would be worth borrowing for a bit to do a job. Rather than jumping in and spending 20/25m on a player that isn’t proven. If we went down this route, I’d have faith in their decision. 

This season is all about finishing in a position that makes other players sit up and take note. Make them want to join us because they can see we are ready to challenge for Europe.

So many players think their stock is higher than it actually is unfortunately but if they can see you mean business, they’ll be attracted to the project. It’s why West Ham have one chance to get it right over the next two windows. They’re in that position to crack the top 4/6 on a regular basis but to do so, they need to sign genuine quality in Jan or the Summer. And if they lose Rice, well, they’ll be back down in 10th.

If we can finish top ten this season, players will want to join us because there are a lot of players in that 6th-10th place category that want to join an ambitious club. 

Personally, I think we’ll finish 12th, and it makes it that bit harder IMO. 

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

You’d like to think Gerrard would absolutely know who would be worth borrowing for a bit to do a job. Rather than jumping in and spending 20/25m on a player that isn’t proven. If we went down this route, I’d have faith in their decision. 

It's insidious mate.

On 25/12/2021 at 15:15, AshVilla said:

I just hope we sign no Rangers players.

I'd have no issues with it, Gerrard would know their character and attributes and knows what it takes to be a PL player, so if he thinks they're worth signing it's a pretty safe bet. It would be no different to hoping Dean didn't sign Brentford players when he joined.