January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

It would be an excellent bit of business, I can't see it happening though unfortunately

I could see a combined figure close to that IF they were sold in January. AEG's value will quickly drop now as he has 2 years left.

7 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, there are positions that would be a priority over CB. The problem with Mings is that after next summer the likelihood is that is value will start to reduce significantly

Resale values are important however it wouldn't be a massive deal to let it wind down a bit, especially if he improves over that time.

People forget how few games he has played as a centre back, Konsa has played more.

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lingaard on loan in Jan

I don't understand the joke re multiple loan players from a single club and Januzaj but it does get a few references. But just in case this is not another joke, we can't loan more than 1 player from a PL team and we already have Axel on loan from Man U

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't understand the joke re multiple loan players from a single club and Januzaj but it does get a few references

Came from the January transfer window we loaned Cleverley, and were linked with Januzaj not long after. Lots of debate about whether it was permanent or a loan, and if it was a loan it wouldn't be allowed as we'd already got Cleverley, and the "can we loan Januzaj if we've already loaned Cleverley?" question was asked about 50 times a day 😂

Basically became internet 101 of not reading posts above before posting.

I think the mods were glad when he went to Sociedad...

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't understand the joke re multiple loan players from a single club and Januzaj but it does get a few references. But just in case this is not another joke, we can't loan more than 1 player from a PL team and we already have Axel on loan from Man U

Me when I realize Janujaz isn't at Man U Anymore, so we can , finally loan him;

So Youre Saying Theres A Chance GIFs | Tenor

On a serious note though, wasn't one of those jokes, and shows I'm slipping, as I love that one, and totally forgot about Axel.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Came from the January transfer window we loaned Cleverley, and were linked with Januzaj not long after. Lots of debate about whether it was permanent or a loan, and if it was a loan it wouldn't be allowed as we'd already got Cleverley, and the "can we loan Januzaj if we've already loaned Cleverley?" question was asked about 50 times a day 😂

Basically became internet 101 of not reading posts above before posting.

I think the mods were glad when he went to Sociedad...

Thanks Son!

Mings is our most important player at the moment. Defensive general and general positive influence in the locker room, who seems to absolutely love playing for us, and our current backups aren't anywhere near his level. I'm not sure why we'd be actively shopping him around, even if we managed to unearth a talented young CB. 

This isn't like when we let Gary Cahill go so we could cycle between Curtis Davies, Carlos Cuellar and Zat Knight. Mings is our best centre back since Laursen and the talented young replacements are just theoretical for now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

But we aren’t in the stage to get anybody better than Mings at the moment, it’s more likely Mings would leave us for a bigger/higher club than us upgrading him.  He’s an England international, captain/leader type and left footed.  No player is bigger than the club that goes without saying but his level is as good as the club level at the moment in that we are a team around 10th place and he can easily play for a top 8 team.  

I really do think some of you think our players are beyond what they are all because your Villa fans. Everytime we talk about our players it's always they're good enough to walk into the top teams, that is not the case always, Grealish was because of how just damn good he was at what he did but I don't think any of our players apart from Martinez and possibly Watkins could jump into the top 5. When i say top five i mean your usual of Chelsea, Spurs,Pool,UTD or City. Their then is a few who could maybe take up residence at the likes of West ham, Everton and Leicester. The idea that Mings is at the level of the club or above I do and do not agree on this, if mid table is the level were talking then yes, any higher then no. The club made these players what they are, remember before Mings was rotting and couldn't get into the first team at Bournemouth, he's come along way yes but he's certainly not above our club, that was Grealish. Now it's very easy for the club to sell any player any window and make money while upgrading on them and that is why no player at Villa now that traitor left is above the club or at its level because at anytime the club can pull in better.

While i think Mings is good I believe what keeps him from being what you describe is his mistakes that creep into games. Sure many players go through those exact mistakes but Mings when he does them cost us bigtime. It's also easy to label him this all excellent defender but that isn't just him putting in these performances in defence, he has an excellent CB partner in Konsa and I don't think all the credit goes to him anymore than it goes to just Konsa or the people on their flanks. Also England really, how many times has he played, hardly any because of Southgate, yes he should of been played more but he wasn't and people won't look at Southgate as the problem they will look at Mings and simply see he just wasn't good enough to get regular international time over his fellow England stars.

I agree that at this moment in time replacing him wouldn't be a wise move but he isn't irreplaceable. There are many who could take up his role that could be bought By the club but again we have more weaknesses than our defence that is for certain and we can be more patient with Mings.

I hear you on what you say, I just don't agree on everything you say mate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s not happening for at least another year (if at all and likely for years) so why is this in the January thread, it should be in the Mings thread.  Pages discussing selling our new captain Mings in the January thread, just bizarre!

Lol Nick it's no different than me and you with lots of pages of Tammy, I dont think either of us can comment on pages an pages. I am actually surprised we have not turned people into lemmings now and they run for the nearest cliff 🤣

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, there are positions that would be a priority over CB. The problem with Mings is that after next summer the likelihood is that is value will start to reduce significantly

Yes his value will start to go down, he's what 28 or 29 now? There wont be many clubs up the top or in top European clubs that will pay above what we paid for him. It was always stated that we was buying Mings with the idea we would make a loss anyway.

Unless some top half team comes in with a 40 mill bid (which I'd snap up), were just not going to get what we paid back for the bloke and that is okay if it turns out like that because he has helped overtime to add stability..

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Mings is our most important player at the moment. Defensive general and general positive influence in the locker room, who seems to absolutely love playing for us, and our current backups aren't anywhere near his level. I'm not sure why we'd be actively shopping him around, even if we managed to unearth a talented young CB. 

This isn't like when we let Gary Cahill go so we could cycle between Curtis Davies, Carlos Cuellar and Zat Knight. Mings is our best centre back since Laursen and the talented young replacements are just theoretical for now.

Mings isn’t even the best centre back at the club right now…..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Mings isn’t even the best centre back at the club right now…..

I think Konsa has more talent and a higher ceiling but I think on average we'd miss Mings a lot more if he was out this season. His ability to marshal his fellow defenders and provide a calming influence was a huge part of how good our defence was last season. He makes everyone around him better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Lol Nick it's no different than me and you with lots of pages of Tammy, I dont think either of us can comment on pages an pages. I am actually surprised we have not turned people into lemmings now and they run for the nearest cliff 🤣

Ours was in the Tammy specific thread and not the January transfer thread though which was my point.

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Completely agree with the above. I would even go as far as saying Mings has been practically our caption for the last two seasons. Jack wore the armband but Mings is the voice in the team. Ezri definitely has a higher ceiling but we’re a lot worse off without Mings in the team for sure. Defensively last season he came out on top of Ezri in pretty much every stat apart from blocks. They’re very different players but I think because of Mings mistakes last season people forget how important he is for us. 

7F713F4D-888D-41CC-BAC1-BFB861BA9EBE.jpeg

Centre backs are a role where statistics can be particularly misleading and coming from me, that's saying something. I think the stats are more indicative of the different roles they play in the partnership.

I think his mistakes get played down a lot on this forum but get played up a lot in the wider footballing fanbase. As with a lot of things, the truth is somewhere in the middle. He's a decent centreback but he's not and most likely will not evolve into a top centreback. Which is fine for where we're at right now. But if and when we get that midfield sorted, assuming we don't lose any more players, the defense is where I'd look next to upgrade the first 11. I'm more than happy with our attacking options when everyone is fully fit and the keeper position as well. Targett and Cash have had shaky starts to the season but going on last season's form, I'm happy with the both of them. That just leaves centreback and if anyone's getting replaced in there, its gonna be Mings instead of Konsa.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Yes his value will start to go down, he's what 28 or 29 now? There wont be many clubs up the top or in top European clubs that will pay above what we paid for him. It was always stated that we was buying Mings with the idea we would make a loss anyway.

Unless some top half team comes in with a 40 mill bid (which I'd snap up), were just not going to get what we paid back for the bloke and that is okay if it turns out like that because he has helped overtime to add stability..

I don’t think we need to make profit in each player, if you used the player for couple of season and he helped in achieving the club targets then that would make it a good transfer regardless of his price now. 
It’s when you’re improving and get players below your standards, and don’t use them enough (or at all) then sell them for peanuts is the problem. 

You also don’t have to make a profit if you got a lot of good seasons from a certain player, if you return a good amount of what you’ve paid then you’ve done well considering age, market...etc

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

You also don’t have to make a profit if you got a lot of good seasons from a certain player,

The challenge clubs like Villa have is that we are aspiring to compete at the top. The FFP/P&S regulations force us to operate with particular financial constraints regardless how how much money our owners are will to invest. We have already amortised circa 10m of Mings purchase price and by next summer this will be closer to 15m meaning we still have about 5m left to amortise. Any price we sell him for that is in excess of 5m would be deemed a profit. If we could sell him for 25m then we would make an accounting profit of 20m on his sale. We need to be able to make these type of 'profitable' sales to push our P&S profits higher as this enables us to invest more in player purchases and pay higher wages. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Anyone take JLingz in Jan for a cut price?

Yep. Loan now with option to buy in Jan. 
He could do a job for us.

edit- I was confusing EFL and Prem loan rules. Oops

Edited by HKP90