January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Well obviously yes, upgrading should be done. But that's my point, we aren't going to be able to upgrade off the cuff for £20m or whatever the price is.

In this particular case of Mings it isn't just replacing the player, it's the captain, the representative for the club in the media, the character around the dressing room.

Again, understand your point. Don't think Mings is one I'd be looking to move on or one that falls into the process of squad regeneration.

It's not a question of specifically looking to shift players once they get to 29/30. The age will be different for different players.

If we were to go and get an offer of £20m for El Ghazi at 27 or Nakamba at 28/29, yes, on you go thank you gents.

15 for AEG and 10 for Nakamba would be a good result!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Mings makes the game so much easier for his fellow defenders.  His Organisation from the back is an invaluable tool and is being completely devalued when the topic of willingly selling our Ty is brought up. 

Konsa is still developing as a defender. He looks the player he is because he plays next to a leader like Mings. Take Mings away before Konsa is ready to step into that lead role and his performances will drop. 

You don't know that, he did rather well in the game against brentford without Mings. Sure Konsa and Mings work as a partnership but it won't be the end of it if Mings was sold, we then brought in someone much better than Mings to slot at the side of Konsa. If anything I think he could more than step up to the job Mings does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You don't know that, he did rather well in the game against brentford without Mings. Sure Konsa and Mings work as a partnership but it won't be the end of it if Mings was sold, we then brought in someone much better than Mings to slot at the side of Konsa. If anything I think he could more than step up to the job Mings does.

But we aren’t in the stage to get anybody better than Mings at the moment, it’s more likely Mings would leave us for a bigger/higher club than us upgrading him.  He’s an England international, captain/leader type and left footed.  No player is bigger than the club that goes without saying but his level is as good as the club level at the moment in that we are a team around 10th place and he can easily play for a top 8 team.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I base my observation on having played the game many years in a back 4.  The amount of stress removed when you have a vet marshalling the backline is crazy.  It makes everyone's job so much easier.  The chemistry of a backline is just as important as the talent level.  Mess with that chemistry at your own peril.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Still why would Romero come, he probably never heard of Aston Villa. Why would we pay 55 million for a guy that could be back up and crucially change our system for him since he is more effective in a back 3 than 4

I am not suggesting we buy him, after all Spurs just bought him, was the discussion not using him as the type of player and the fact that he was coming from a CL club? You are completely missing the point I am making.

8 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Hause doesn't have the transfer value to make a sale attractive. Mings would have the value and his value will only reduce with each transfer window. Mings is the one to sell.

Our youth players should be replacing Hause in the squad

Genuine question - why do you think it's so important to squeeze every last dollar from player sales? We've just had a window that has shown that were not reinvesting player sales just for the sake of it - we wait for the right players to become available.

Wth that in mind and given the wealth and history of our owners, I think they place the most importance on squeezing every last bit of value that a player can bring to the squad rather than the balance sheet.

Having a squad with Mings is stronger than a squad without him. If the right player (younger, better, more potential) becomes available I've no doubt well approach him regardless.

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

Geez some y’all are so bored and maybe should stay away from this thread for a few weeks/ months if you think selling Tyrone is anyway forward for us. He isn’t The best but what he brings cannot be easily quantified as it’s not just on pitch performances… 

How can you say Mings isn't the best and say that thinking of selling him is not the way forward. 

He does have other leadership skills and it will not be easy to replace him but it is Lange's job to identify the correct players with the correct skills. Accepting players we believe are not the best is a sure fire way to delay progress.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I actually agree we should be looking for a Mings replacement.

it’s WAY down the list of priorities to about 7th in line though.

Yeah, there are positions that would be a priority over CB. The problem with Mings is that after next summer the likelihood is that is value will start to reduce significantly

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Genuine question - why do you think it's so important to squeeze every last dollar from player sales? We've just had a window that has shown that were not reinvesting player sales just for the sake of it - we wait for the right players to become available.

Wth that in mind and given the wealth and history of our owners, I think they place the most importance on squeezing every last bit of value that a player can bring to the squad rather than the balance sheet.

Having a squad with Mings is stronger than a squad without him. If the right player (younger, better, more potential) becomes available I've no doubt well approach him regardless.

We brought in about 110m and we paid out about 95m while increasing the amount of first XI players and the first XI payroll. That looks like we are reinvesting the money. We can't simply spend 100m+ on players each summer with a revenue of about 130m and overheads of about 100m and stay within FFP. The more profitable we are (or less loss making) the more scope we have to invest in new players. Selling Mings would be very good for our P&L and thus give Smith and Lange more muscle in the transfer market. Also, NSWE and CP said the strategy is to be sustainable. 

Having a squad with Mings is not necessarily better than a squad without him. If we get a better CB in to replace Mings then our squad would be better

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We brought in about 110m and we paid out about 95m while increasing the amount of first XI players and the first XI payroll. That looks like we are reinvesting the money. We can't simply spend 100m+ on players each summer with a revenue of about 130m and overheads of about 100m and stay within FFP. The more profitable we are (or less loss making) the more scope we have to invest in new players. Selling Mings would be very good for our P&L and thus give Smith and Lange more muscle in the transfer market. Also, NSWE and CP said the strategy is to be sustainable. 

Having a squad with Mings is not necessarily better than a squad without him. If we get a better CB in to replace Mings then our squad would be better

It’s not happening for at least another year (if at all and likely for years) so why is this in the January thread, it should be in the Mings thread.  Pages discussing selling our new captain Mings in the January thread, just bizarre!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s not happening for at least another year (if at all and likely for years) so why is this in the January thread, it should be in the Mings thread.  Pages discussing selling our new captain Mings in the January thread, just bizarre!

Why direct this at me? I simply replied to a comment which listed the potential free transfers next summer. Should I not engage with people that reply to me? Should u not post to those people telling them not to reply to me?

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Why direct this at me? I simply replied to a comment which listed the potential free transfers next summer. Should I not engage with people that reply to me? Should u not post to those people telling them not to reply to me?

It was a general comment to everybody but you’re the one been going on about it for page after page about Mings

12 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

If White is Garbage and Arsenal got their pants pulled down than that means he is not worth 50m so it wouldn't make sense to value Mings at 60m/70m based on White's sale price.

I do think White is a good player though. He was excellent at Leeds and he had a very good season for Brighton last season. Poor start for Arsenal but he has been sick. He will be a good CB for them imo

Mings is 10 x the player white is, so absolutely would make sense for 60 or 70. Not that i would entertain any offers even fof that price

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Watching ireland and Gavin Bazunu, 19 is absolutely class. Would love if we could nick him from city. Surely not many opportunities for him there as they rate steffen more and ederson only 26/27

Absolutely, he is pure class. Has been brilliant against Portugal too. I can't see City parting with him and I would say he would be very expensive. Would love him at Villa but he will be pushing for 1st team play in the PL very soon. It will be difficult for City to keep him happy but I guess a proper pro contract salary may help

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

It was a general comment to everybody but you’re the one been going on about it for page after page about Mings

Nick, I think it can appear to be a misrepresentation....it happens to me at times, when responding to folk.

it looks like one has a bee in their bonnet, when in fact, its just responding to multiple posters.

just trying to mediate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd prefer to turn Mings back into an LB, than get rid, as it stands.

Last thing on my mind.

A huge part of the continuity fabric needed, especially after the departure of Greaseband.

IMO of course.

Sure this has been regurgitated but i haven't been on much, Lingaard on loan in Jan or on a FREE next summer, good or terrible idea?

• Like 1