January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think anyone would pay £40m for Mings and that's the minimum I'd want to lose him, despite his shortcomings.

I agree he would not command a 40m fee, I think closer to 20m/25m and the tough part is finding the appropriate replacement but that is Lange's job. We need to have confidence in our recruitment team to improve the team with our transfers. Obviously we should not replace him unless we find the appropriate player but if / when the appropriate player is identified we should not be afraid of upgrading.

19 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd like to see us strengthen our central midfield and full backs.

Cash and Targett need better competition and aren't getting it currently (Young is ok but getting on and won't be here for more than a year or 2 tops).

I like Cash and Targett but when comparing our FBs against other top 10 teams, let alone top 6 teams, I don't think they are at a good enough level especially offensively. 

We should have strengthened the middle in the summer, we didn't. If things are not going well by January (i.e. we're in the bottom half) then I would expect a big signing there to come in.

I'd also like to see more competition at CB in the coming years but that can probably wait another year at least. 

Yep, I agree with that, we definitely need better fullback options

2 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

I'm sorry but if we sell Mings than those in charge are dumbasses and they are far, far from being that

If those in charge think we could not improve on Mings then I think those in charge would be dumbassess. And I expect those in charge also see the benefit of selling players as opposed to letting them leave on a free

14 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Why would he not come to us? If we sold Mings for 20m/25m we could add 25m/30m to that making him much more affordable. 

Why would he go from Champions League to midtable Villa. At least Spurs have been there recently and have London factor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why would he go from Champions League to midtable Villa. At least Spurs have been there recently and have London factor

yeah this pointless conversation becomes even more pointless when the alternative to mings is we just go out and buy any young CB in europe that we feel like just because we can, thats not the reality

this is purely about money, both in terms of value in to us and cost of the replacement and theres so much more to it than that, its very blinkered

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because we have very ambitious owners, are investing heavily in the squad, pay high wages and are looking like we are only going to get better. 

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Because we have very ambitious owners, are investing heavily in the squad, pay high wages and are looking like we are only going to get better. 

Still why would Romero come, he probably never heard of Aston Villa. Why would we pay 55 million for a guy that could be back up and crucially change our system for him since he is more effective in a back 3 than 4

Unless we had another more vocal Konsa I don't see why we would want to sell Mings! He's the captain and he compliments Konsa perfectly IMO. the idea that we could be buying in section of the market that the clubs who regularly get top 6 buy their players is a bit daft to be honest. The odd coup once in a very blue moon maybe but not more than that. We will have to get there first...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Unless we had another more vocal Konsa I don't see why we would want to sell Mings! He's the captain and he compliments Konsa perfectly IMO. the idea that we could be buying in section of the market that the clubs who regularly get top 6 buy their players is a bit daft to be honest. The odd coup once in a very blue moon maybe but not more than that. We will have to get there first...

Mings makes the game so much easier for his fellow defenders.  His Organisation from the back is an invaluable tool and is being completely devalued when the topic of willingly selling our Ty is brought up. 

Konsa is still developing as a defender. He looks the player he is because he plays next to a leader like Mings. Take Mings away before Konsa is ready to step into that lead role and his performances will drop. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Mings makes the game so much easier for his fellow defenders.  His Organisation from the back is an invaluable tool and is being completely devalued when the topic of willingly selling our Ty is brought up. 

Konsa is still developing as a defender. He looks the player he is because he plays next to a leader like Mings. Take Mings away before Konsa is ready to step into that lead role and his performances will drop. 

Yeah totally, I hinted at it by saying "more vocal" but you're spot on. I tttttnk Konsa is the better player technically over Mings, but if you could clone Konsa then the Konsa And Konsa pairing wouldn't be as good as the Konsa and Mings pairing. Why anyone would want rid of Mings is beyond me.

• Like 3

Geez some y’all are so bored and maybe should stay away from this thread for a few weeks/ months if you think selling Tyrone is anyway forward for us. He isn’t The best but what he brings cannot be easily quantified as it’s not just on pitch performances… 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We shouldn't be looking to put expensive older players as 3rd choice. We should move them on while they have value and replace them with better players.

I’m not sure that anyone would disagree with this point in isolation as it’s something the club has been terrible at in recent memory - players winding down contracts and/or being loaned out for their final years whilst losing the players we wanted to keep for modest fees.

Indeed it’s something that has already been identified by Purslow as a way for the club to improve financially - buying young players who will increase in value and selling at the right time, investing in the academy whose products represent almost 100% profit, and even selling Grealish was at least for a huge fee that we now need to reinvest wisely as Leicester have been good at doing.

But getting round to talking in these terms about Mings specifically, given his value to the squad as captain (and let’s be honest, he hasn’t just been captain this season), leader, role model, public speaker, not to mention his incredible footballing talent, nor that his previous little playing time and current physical fitness mean he’s probably got at least 5 years left at the very top and may not have even peaked yet, or that it’s difficult to imagine a realistic replacement who could perform at least to his level and bring the same other attributes that are invaluable to the team, then any talk of selling Mings seems like complete madness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Our owners are ambitious to get to the level of other offers on the table now? Bristol Rovers are ambitious. 

Also, we've invested less this year than fees incoming, and most teams in the Prem pay high wages. In fact we currently have the 11th highest salary outlay in the league, below Everton, West Ham, Leicester and Crystal Palace. And that's without JG.   

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

If those in charge think we could not improve on Mings then I think those in charge would be dumbassess. And I expect those in charge also see the benefit of selling players as opposed to letting them leave on a free

Feels like you think Mings is a weak link in our team?

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree he would not command a 40m fee, I think closer to 20m/25m and the tough part is finding the appropriate replacement but that is Lange's job. We need to have confidence in our recruitment team to improve the team with our transfers. Obviously we should not replace him unless we find the appropriate player but if / when the appropriate player is identified we should not be afraid of upgrading.

Well obviously yes, upgrading should be done. But that's my point, we aren't going to be able to upgrade off the cuff for £20m or whatever the price is.

In this particular case of Mings it isn't just replacing the player, it's the captain, the representative for the club in the media, the character around the dressing room.

Again, understand your point. Don't think Mings is one I'd be looking to move on or one that falls into the process of squad regeneration.

It's not a question of specifically looking to shift players once they get to 29/30. The age will be different for different players.

If we were to go and get an offer of £20m for El Ghazi at 27 or Nakamba at 28/29, yes, on you go thank you gents.