January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I think there is a very high likelihood that we will sign nobody in Jan. A bad injury could change that but I can't see us trying to improve the team unless we get another unexpected player like Sanson that is considered to be available at the right price and below market value

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Barkley was an expensive disaster.

No harm no foul? His "loan trial" cost us £11m that season. For comparison grealish cost us £6.5m in 20/21 and Watkins £10m

Barkley was by far our most expensive player on the books last season.

Barkley fees ! Wow ! 

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think Konsa has more talent and a higher ceiling but I think on average we'd miss Mings a lot more if he was out this season. His ability to marshal his fellow defenders and provide a calming influence was a huge part of how good our defence was last season. He makes everyone around him better.

The thing with Konsa is you hardly hear about him during a game, now Mings he's always noticed. I think the fact that both of them compliment eachother it's easy to look at just one and think of him as this top dog of a player. I do think that Konsa makes much less errors and overall I believe he performs better and has a higher ceiling also. Mings himself is a very good leader and hes proved it from commanding an area to a full team.

I just think when it comes time to replace him that we will comfortably be able to replace Mings as any other player we currently have at the club

11 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

No harm no foul? His "loan trial" cost us £11m that season. For comparison grealish cost us £6.5m in 20/21 and Watkins £10m

Shit. £11M. How the f**k did that happen?

How much did we pay Chelsea? No way he was on 200K/wk

Edited by HKP90

10 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Wow I can't believe this, I mean everyone is forgetting VillaPark was nearly reduced to nothing with all the equipment Barkley was destroying. That alone most likely cost more in damages than what he was worth 🤣.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Shit. £11M. How the f**k did that happen?

His salary at Chelsea is 5m a year and we paid a 6m loan fee I believe. If his market value is say 30m, then 6m loan fee is probably reasonable. He was great for a few games and got us the win against Leicester but overall he was a bit of a dud

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

His salary at Chelsea is 5m a year and we paid a 6m loan fee I believe. If his market value is say 30m, then 6m loan fee is probably reasonable. He was great for a few games and got us the win against Leicester but overall he was a bit of a dud

Sporttrac are saying Barkley was on 5M/yr in salary at Villa too, which is just under 100K/wk. £6M for a loan fee seems steep in any case.  

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Sporttrac are saying Barkley was on 5M/yr in salary at Villa too, which is just under 100K/wk. £6M for a loan fee seems steep in any case.  

In hindsight 6m is steep for a loan fee. But if his value as a player was actually 30m then 6m is probably a fair loan fee. The problem we had is that he didn't deliver on the pitch which is reflective of a 30m player. Chelsea made some poor signings and contract extensions in the past. Danny Drinkwater got a 5 year contract on 6.5m a year. He is now at Reading and they are probably only paying about 10k in wages 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

In hindsight 6m is steep for a loan fee. But if his value as a player was actually 30m then 6m is probably a fair loan fee. The problem we had is that he didn't deliver on the pitch which is reflective of a 30m player. Chelsea made some poor signings and contract extensions in the past. Danny Drinkwater got a 5 year contract on 6.5m a year. He is now at Reading and they are probably only paying about 10k in wages 😂

Yeah you are probably right. If he'd torn it up we would not have blinked at £6M. 

Now Drinkwater, I'm still not sure why the hell we brought him in. 

The New Terrance And Phillip Movie Trailer GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Danny D cost Chelsea 34m, 5 year contract on 6.5m a year is 32.5m in wages. That is 66.5m. He has played a total of 12 PL games for Chelsea in his entire Chelsea career and will not add to that. He must have a bloody good agent. If I was a young pro footballer I would be looking to get his agent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah you are probably right. If he'd torn it up we would not have blinked at £6M. 

The New Terrance And Phillip Movie Trailer GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

i think the theory of him was right, an experienced PL head in there with luiz and nakamba, from memory mcginn was out injured for a few months, the 2 new guys had the inconsistency and inexperience of 2 new guys, stick drinkwater in there get him talking calm everything down...but how the **** did we not spot his lack of fitness?

same with barkley, the theory of him was right, it was his fitness and then attitude that came undone

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think there is a very high likelihood that we will sign nobody in Jan. A bad injury could change that but I can't see us trying to improve the team unless we get another unexpected player like Sanson that is considered to be available at the right price and below market value

Yeah that wouldn't totally shock me either bar(Knock on wood) as you say an injury forces us to least explore the loan market.

Hopefully also by January our spot in the table is a decent one and we wont feel the need to panic buy.

Edited by Big Salad

5 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

I will push back a little on this. He definitely had a less than stellar tenure here, can't argue that. That £11 million saved us so much more though. Imagine if we had just decided to stump up a transfer and give him a 5 year deal. That would have easily have been £40-50 million total fees and wages. I shudder at the thought 😨

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think the theory of him was right, an experienced PL head in there with luiz and nakamba, from memory mcginn was out injured for a few months, the 2 new guys had the inconsistency and inexperience of 2 new guys, stick drinkwater in there get him talking calm everything down...but how the **** did we not spot his lack of fitness?

same with barkley, the theory of him was right, it was his fitness and then attitude that came undone

Drinkwater's problem wasn't that he wasn't fit. It was that he wasn't very good. The fact that he couldn't get off the Burnley bench should've clued us in. I swear fitness is like the most convenient excuse for any player. Sometimes, its not that they're not fit, its just that they're shit. 

I think Barkley's attitude problems are a bit exaggerated. The worst thing he did was basically looking all pouty and sulky after being subbed off. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Drinkwater's problem wasn't that he wasn't fit. It was that he wasn't very good. The fact that he couldn't get off the Burnley bench should've clued us in. I swear fitness is like the most convenient excuse for any player. Sometimes, its not that they're not fit, its just that they're shit. 

I think Barkley's attitude problems are a bit exaggerated. The worst thing he did was basically looking all pouty and sulky after being subbed off. 

Nah there was more to Barkley, that video of his pressing and tracking that was doing the rounds after the Liverpool game was embarrassing 

60 seconds of a finished footballer 

Mings £25m ???? Da fuq am I reading?!?! Club captain easily the equal of slabhead. Double it and you get just the footballer. It's a minimum of £75m to answer the phone so we can tell them to f*** off.

Konsa and Mings is one unit, entity, partnership call it what you want. Together this partnership is priceless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Danny D cost Chelsea 34m, 5 year contract on 6.5m a year is 32.5m in wages. That is 66.5m. He has played a total of 12 PL games for Chelsea in his entire Chelsea career and will not add to that. He must have a bloody good agent. If I was a young pro footballer I would be looking to get his agent

Steam Community :: :: Danny D

Erm... do they know it's free with a Google search?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Mings £25m ???? Da fuq am I reading?!?! Club captain easily the equal of slabhead. Double it and you get just the footballer. It's a minimum of £75m to answer the phone so we can tell them to f*** off.

Konsa and Mings is one unit, entity, partnership call it what you want. Together this partnership is priceless.

I'm all for promoting Villa players but Maguire is a better player.

I like Mings but he's liable to make an error more often than Maguire.

• Like 1