January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

West Ham didnt which tells me everything I need to know 

He was great at West Ham. They’d love him back. He went to try and fight for a place at United, and then they signed Ronaldo. Bet he ends up and West Ham  in Jan.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

He was great at West Ham. They’d love him back. He went to try and fight for a place at United, and then they signed Ronaldo. Bet he ends up and West Ham  in Jan.

they've just signed vlasic for £30m so im not sure that he will

it could be any number of reasons, man utd wont do a deal and overvalue him, the player himself much like axel keeps being mislead by promises of finally getting his chance or west ham didnt rate him high enough to buy him outright

either way he seems unobtainable, maybe you're right and ronaldo does change something but im not sure they'd play him regardless

Ideally in Jan we would be able to get a loan player in with an option to buy in the summer. I would take any of the following DM, FB, or CB as players for the first team and in that priority order. However, the next few months will direct us for our transfer activity insofar as how the promoted kids work out, injuries and form. There are no other positions I would look at for the first team and any other purchases would be youth 

7 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Problem with alot of the players at these clubs are the wages he'll be on. To move to a West Ham or a Villa we'd have to make him one of, if not the top earner. Is he worth that? What does that do to the squad harmony if he turns out to be a Stephen Ireland or Micah Richards stealing a living?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it could be any number of reasons, man utd wont do a deal and overvalue him, the player himself much like axel keeps being mislead by promises of finally getting his chance or west ham didnt rate him high enough to buy him outright

I think the money has a lot to do with it. Axel keeps signing a contract extension and then immediately going out on loan. If Axel was really determined to play 1st team football I would have expected him not to sign a contract renewal last month and try and force through a permanent deal as he would have been a very cheap purchase. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Problem with alot of the players at these clubs are the wages he'll be on. To move to a West Ham or a Villa we'd have to make him one of, if not the top earner. Is he worth that? What does that do to the squad harmony if he turns out to be a Stephen Ireland or Micah Richards stealing a living?

Yes he is having a purple patch in his football this year but he has blown hot and cold. This is his last chance for a big contract and he would probably want 4 years on 120k+. I don't think he is coming to Villa and nor would I like him to. Yes, he would probably be good this season and next season. But after that we could have a 120k a week bench warmer that we simply can't get off the payroll. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I read somewhere he was on 75k pw, would we pay that ?

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Fair point, but I would point out that Ings is on a reputed 120K/wk, almost double Watkins 70K, so we have form. Plus we are 11th in the salary table, so there is room for increase for the right player if needs be. 

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fair point, but I would point out that Ings is on a reputed 120K/wk, almost double Watkins 70K, so we have form. Plus we are 11th in the salary table, so there is room for increase for the right player if needs be. 

True but Ings is proven quality. Lingard had a good 4 months after 8 years of nothing 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

True but Ings is proven quality. Lingard had a good 4 months after 8 years of nothing 

Again, fair point. Was just trying to put everything in context. 

• Like 1

if he's on £75k a week its because he's a utd reserve team player, i cant see him dropping down to west ham or us and not wanting to be one of the highest earners and stars of the team

and zatman is right, he's had 4 great months in his career and will now be classed as a £25m+ transfer £100k+ a week wages player

he's got barkley written all over him IMO fair play to moyes as he got the best out of him (from what i saw it was pretty much a case of he gave him a free role and told him to play in the space and to be fair he found acres of it, of course vs us too) but i cant see it lasting beyond flashes of good form 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

if he's on £75k a week its because he's a utd reserve team player, i cant see him dropping down to west ham or us and not wanting to be one of the highest earners and stars of the team

and zatman is right, he's had 4 great months in his career and will now be classed as a £25m+ transfer £100k+ a week wages player

he's got barkley written all over him IMO fair play to moyes as he got the best out of him (from what i saw it was pretty much a case of he gave him a free role and told him to play in the space and to be fair he found acres of it, of course vs us too) but i cant see it lasting beyond flashes of good form 

He certainly works harder on the pitch than Barkley did. 

And in reality was the Barkley episode so disastrous? Yes he was rubbish, but we had him on loan and he went back, so no harm no foul. If we could give JL a similar 'loan trial', I would be absolutely fine with it. We can't lose really. 

Edited by HKP90

If we could give JL a similar 'loan trial', I would be absolutely fine with it. We can't lose really. 

He would be 29 if we were to get him on loan and then if we were to convert that loan to a permanent at the end of the season he would 30. I think that would be too old to be signing a permanent player. We signed Ings at 29 but he is proven and it was only a 3 year contract

12 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

For the right player it's worth doing something like that no question. Is Lingard the right player to elevate to that kind of level? Based on his 4 months at West Ham, I'd say probably. Based on the 4 years or more before that? Definitely not.

Lingard would be a huge gamble/leap of faith for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

He would be 29 if we were to get him on loan and then if we were to convert that loan to a permanent at the end of the season he would 30. I think that would be too old to be signing a permanent player. We signed Ings at 29 but he is proven and it was only a 3 year contract

Ashley Young?

He’s on 50k/wk too.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd prefer to turn Mings back into an LB, than get rid, as it stands.

Last thing on my mind.

A huge part of the continuity fabric needed, especially after the departure of Greaseband.

IMO of course.

Sure this has been regurgitated but i haven't been on much, Lingaard on loan in Jan or on a FREE next summer, good or terrible idea?

we have more immediate issues than Mings.....I think he brings a "presence" to the team that very few of our players do, particularly in defence.

Ashley Young?

He’s on 50k/wk too.

Fair point and yeah Ash is older but I think he is different. He is much needed cover for our full backs, he had a completely different career to JL in that he has performed every season and he is ex Villa. He is brought in for experience, dressing room and backup and we know it is his retirement. Also, 'only' 50k a week, JL would want more than double that and JL would have a hefty transfer fee

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Fair point and yeah Ash is older but I think he is different. He is much needed cover for our full backs, he had a completely different career to JL in that he has performed every season and he is ex Villa. He is brought in for experience, dressing room and backup and we know it is his retirement. Also, 'only' 50k a week, JL would want more than double that and JL would have a hefty transfer fee

I agree that we'd not get JL if he was wanting >100K

23 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

He certainly works harder on the pitch than Barkley did. 

And in reality was the Barkley episode so disastrous? Yes he was rubbish, but we had him on loan and he went back, so no harm no foul. If we could give JL a similar 'loan trial', I would be absolutely fine with it. We can't lose really. 

Barkley was an expensive disaster.

No harm no foul? His "loan trial" cost us £11m that season. For comparison grealish cost us £6.5m in 20/21 and Watkins £10m

Barkley was by far our most expensive player on the books last season.

• Like 1